Diamond too big??

Jen123

O.G.
Nov 24, 2011
Hi everyone! My boyfriend and I have been ring shopping for several months trying to figure out what we like and don't like. I always loved 2 carat stones on my size 5.5 finger. Yesterday we found THE STONE and he purchased it. Now that it's all said and done I am suddenly very self conscious about the size. Without a doubt people will judge me no matter what ring I wear, but I am starting to worry about being to showy or blingy. Has this ever happened to anyone else? Did you eventually get used to your stone? Please give me your honest opinion!

Here is our diamond sitting loose in a sample setting

ImageUploadedByPurseForum1410088124.697823.jpg

ImageUploadedByPurseForum1410088248.930582.jpg

And here is the actual setting we plan on setting the stone in. This is not my diamond in the setting, but one similar in size. Also, my setting will be yellow gold instead of rose gold.

ImageUploadedByPurseForum1410088271.639437.jpg

ImageUploadedByPurseForum1410088285.500745.jpg

ImageUploadedByPurseForum1410088304.851776.jpg

I think this is gorgeous and not too big. It's not small, but not too big, either It looks perfect on your hand. Just enjoy it. If people have a problem with it, it's their problem.

ETA, Congratulations on your engagement!

I agree with EB. It's a perfect size for your hand.

(and there is a phenomenon called "shrinkage". After wearing your new E-ring for several months, it will seem much smaller and may, in time, cause you to consider an upgrade ;) )

Congrats on finding your perfect stone!

Thank you ladies for your sweet responses! I think I am self conscious because it's a very new thing for me, hopefully it'll just take a little getting used to. I loved the pave band but I think the subtle gold setting might give me the modesty I am looking for. I am so excited to actually see it set!

I love your ring. It is beautiful and looks stunning on your hand. Congrats on your upcoming nuptials. Please don't worry about what others think and enjoy this special time in your life.

I think it's gorgeous and not too over the top! Congrats!!

I wear a 3.67 carat round on a 3.75 finger and it took me some getting used to. I'd swirl it into my palm sometimes out of self-consciousness! Well shrinkage sat right on in and now it seems like a "normal" sized stone, lol!

I think it looks great on you. You shouldn't feel self conscious.

I think diamonds can look too big, but it's not the carat weight that throws off the look. For me, it's the shape. I tried on my MIL's 4 ct round and it honestly didn't look good on my child sized hands. A 4 ct emerald cut? We're in business. (Sigh, some day...) The round on you doesn't overwhelm your hand. I think it looks very tasteful.

To start I want to reiterate what everyone is saying and that your ring is gorgeous! Congrats on the nuptials too!! I felt the same way about my ring which is just over a ct. I think it has to do where you come from and what you're used to...most of my friends back home have a half carat or smaller, it's a very blue collar town. It made me feel self conscious and ostentatious. Felt the same thing when I brought my first LV home. Then my sister told me to quit being stupid and that if I love it and I'm not breaking the bank to have it I should count my blessings and enjoy my lovely things. This is what I do now and it's the best advice I got lol. You are definitely worth that and more!