Diamond Studs

Hello diamond lovers,

I am about to buy a pair of diamond studs but would want your input as to whether I am making a good purchase.
One diamond is color H cut SI, the other is color I cut VS2, they are 6,250 us from 12,500 usd. Both are 0.91 carats. Am I purchasing a good pair regarding color and cut?

Should I take the plunge or keep on hunting?

TIA

The SI and VS2 do not refer to cut those are clarity indicators. As @ame said you really do not have enough information to make an informed decision on those two stones.

If you are going to buy diamonds sight unseen...go with AME's cheat sheet/suggestions. I, personally, need to see diamonds in real life and (hopefully) they'll sing to me.
But I'm old and buying online makes me uncomfortable. Many members have bought online and have been very happy. My take on color is a bit different but I am color sensitive. My studs are G VS2/SI1 but ex/ideal cut which is the key...CUT! I won't buy anything lower then G because I think the color is noticeable when people look at you. I notice it on other people right away. Although the right cut can mask lower color/clarity.

I am turning 35 next month, and I've been saving up some money to buy myself something really nice. I am single, so no one's buying me any diamonds, I have to get them myself! :smile:

I initially was saving for a Louis Vuitton, but lately I've been thinking maybe I should get a pair of diamond studs as I'd get more use out of them. I wear a version of CZ studs nearly every day. I have different sizes and metals.

I've always wanted diamond studs, but can you really tell the difference between them and CZs? I would probably be looking at .5tcw, to .75ctw so it's not like they're going to be massive.

I have a diamond pendant, and a couple inherited diamond rings, but I am just looking for some more opinions on whether spending the money on diamond studs is a good choice. I absolutely know I'll wear them a ton, but I just am not convinced they'd visually be much better than the cheapies I wear now?

Thanks for any insight!

Happy birthday! I think a high-quality CZ pair should be indistinguishable from diamonds. If you're interested in a diamond pair for better visual quality, then I'm not sure that it'd be worth the price difference.

Since you already have a few pairs of CZ studs, would you consider taking the money and going on an amazing vacation instead?

I am turning 35 next month, and I've been saving up some money to buy myself something really nice. I am single, so no one's buying me any diamonds, I have to get them myself! :smile:

I initially was saving for a Louis Vuitton, but lately I've been thinking maybe I should get a pair of diamond studs as I'd get more use out of them. I wear a version of CZ studs nearly every day. I have different sizes and metals.

I've always wanted diamond studs, but can you really tell the difference between them and CZs? I would probably be looking at .5tcw, to .75ctw so it's not like they're going to be massive.

I have a diamond pendant, and a couple inherited diamond rings, but I am just looking for some more opinions on whether spending the money on diamond studs is a good choice. I absolutely know I'll wear them a ton, but I just am not convinced they'd visually be much better than the cheapies I wear now?

Thanks for any insight!

Diamond studs are worth it, but only if they are at least 2 carats (one carat for each ear), otherwise they end up looking too tiny on an adult's earlobe.

Just my opinion of course. I can tell the difference between a diamond and CZ, but ln not sure if everyone will be able to. Most people might just assume it's a real diamond, depending on how you're dressed.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll make the right decision.

Good question. I wear CZs nearly every day and have them in a variety of sizes and metals. I can tell most of the time when someone's wearing diamond earrings, even when they're very small. They twinkle in a way that CZ doesn't and they're very pretty. Although I don't think most people can generally tell whether someone is wearing CZs instead of diamonds if it's a good quality CZ in a nice gold setting.

Have you gone into a jewelry store and looked at them? I have on a few occasions and I've been meh. Not impressed enough to spend all that money. But then I'm a cheapskate. :shocked: And I lose earrings. A lot. The life I lead is not a diamond earring life. If I had a corporate job or a job in which I had to dress well every day I might trade in the CZs. But maybe not. It's a lot to spend for just a little extra twinkle in your ear lobes.

I like an earlier poster's suggestion of saving up for a wonderful vacation for yourself.

Diamond studs are worth it, but only if they are at least 2 carats (one carat for each ear), otherwise they end up looking too tiny on an adult's earlobe.

I don't mean to pick on you, but I kind of disagree with this. Some people have tiny lobes. I've attached a pic of my .25 each studs.

Also, if you work in a conservative field, 1 carat each is inappropriate.

I work in finance, managing non profits, and it would be tacky to wear big diamonds when I'm working with people who don't have two dimes to rub together.
7eac08c99fb13ea233fb7aef49074b5a.jpg

I don't mean to pick on you, but I kind of disagree with this. Some people have tiny lobes. I've attached a pic of my .25 each studs.

Also, if you work in a conservative field, 1 carat each is inappropriate.

I work in finance, managing non profits, and it would be tacky to wear big diamonds when I'm working with people who don't have two dimes to rub together.
7eac08c99fb13ea233fb7aef49074b5a.jpg

I don't feel picked on at all - I love learning another perspective. I think perhaps my comment was a little myopic & I agree that the earrings look different on different lobes.

I think diamond studs are definitely worth it. After years of wearing CZs, I got diamonds last Christmas, and I've worn them almost daily since. They have a definite *extra sparkle* that truly, genuinely, lights up one's face. They're just so special. I'm not a big "diamond gal" but I really, really enjoy and treasure my diamond earrings. They elevate me even on days I'm just wearing gym clothes with my hair a mess.

Mine are about a half carat each. Any larger truly would be too big for my earlobes and would look heavy and conspicuous, in my opinion.

Thanks, everyone, for your input!
Just to clarify a bit more, I've always said I'd love a pair of diamond studs some day. I just wanted to make sure they really do make a difference. But I agree that knowing they are real diamonds and how much I'd wear them would make them special to me, regardless if others knew they were real or not! And I am planning a vacation next year, but this is something I had set aside to buy myself something special. I don't HAVE to use it this way, and maybe I won't, but I'd like to get something I'll have for a long time. A more luxury purchase I'd usually not make. :smile:

Thanks for any insight!

Just a thought... One way to tell if studs are real or not is to look at the back, and also at the setting. Real diamonds do not generally have the backs that CZs have (they often have screw or la pousette backs), and on large stones, often have more than 4 prongs. Or the prongs are designed in such a way (split) to add extra security. You could buy high-quality loose CZs in the stone shape you love, then have your jeweler set them in authentic 18kt or platinum settings. Then your earrings are "real" jewelry, but you've saved a ton. Then use what you saved to take yourself on a wonderful adventure.

I made travel-safe copies of my real stones in this way, and mostly now, the real stones just relax in the safe. Do whatever will make your heart sing.

Last edited: