Diamond studs: White Gold or Yellow Gold?

nerimanna

Nov 9, 2012
Hi everyone! I am looking into investing in a nice pair of small diamond studs but I need help/advice whether to get it in a White Gold or Yellow Gold setting/backing. I'm in my late twenties and I do wear jewelry in both gold tones. I want something that will last me for many many years. I've tried both color tones and either way, they are flattering. But really need some expert advice on w/c color tone is TIMELESS and a CLASSIC. Any thoughts or comments would be much appreciated. Thanks! :smile:

Personally i prefer white metals on designs like diamond studs and solitaire pendants and rings but that is my own preference. Diamond studs themselves look classic whether with wg or yg.

i have both and prefer white gold setting though the difference isn't very obvious once you have them on your ears...

not sure if you are planning to get married and if you like your e & wedding rings to be platinum or white gold, it will be nice to invest in white gold setting now.

wish someone told me this earlier. i kinda regret some of my yg earrings. oh well!

thank you for the replies so far! yes, thank you for letting me know that I should consider the engagement /wedding ring - this makes perfect sense. i do prefer WG however I just see older & more mature people wear YG jewelry it made me wonder if later on, I would see more value in YG settings/jewelry.

I think it depends on the colour of the stones you are considering.

I think near colourless stones can have white gold settings, but if the stones are closer to I, J, K, white gold settings may highlight that the stones are tinted yellow, whereas yellow gold settings would provide more contrast so the stones may seem visually whiter.

I don't think it really matters, personally I would just get the best deal (both in terms of quality and price) as you don't notice the settings once they are in the ears anyway. I wear mainly yellow gold and rose gold as I prefer their warmth (and am getting obsessed with rose gold now :P) but chose diamond studs set in white gold as quite frankly the price of the deal I found was a steal for the quality and size (half carat, VS1, F, ideal cut).

Gold colour-wise I think you should choose the tones you prefer and which suit you the most - these things go in and out of fashion like the wind anyway. I have always preferred yellow gold - and more recently rose gold - as it suits my skin tone and colouring better than white gold or platinum and make most of my choices based on this factor, although I do like white metals too for some pieces.

Last edited:
I echo the others in choosing a white gold setting that would look perfectly harmonious when wearing yellow gold jewelry. I offer my mother as an example of a person who wears 2cttw diamond earrings in a white gold setting. Her engagement rings (she wears hers and my grandmas), diamond wedding band, tennis bracelets and diamond pendant are all set in yellow gold but when going for the diamond earrings she chose white gold. The earrings just sparkle sparkle, you don't even see a setting.

I like both and mix both metals all the time. My e-ring is platinum and my band is yellow gold. My studs are white gold but only because i found an amazing pair for an amazing price and they were set in white gold. I think setting metals can reflect off the diamond color so if you were getting custom i'd choose the metal based on diamond color grade. Otherwise i would just choose the prettiest earrings you find in your price range.

My mom originally had a pair of studs in YG and she actually changed them to WG because she thought the YG looked dated on her. For reference, we're Asian and a lot of "traditional" jewelry tends to be YG.

I think white gold looks better on whiter diamonds, and yellow gold looks better on 'warmer' diamonds.

That being said, I wouldn't get too twisted up about the colour of the setting. Just make sure to get a nice pair of diamonds, and you can always have them reset later on if you don't like the metal or the style of the setting.