Diamond studs ideal vs excellent

MsCandice

O.G.
Jul 5, 2009
I am getting my first pair of diamond studs:biggrin:. I figured the jeweler is not the best person to ask and you ladies would know but should I get the ideal cut instead of the excellent cut? I tried searching but didn't really come up with anything. Btw I am getting round diamonds and have been looking at H-I. Thanks so much!

I would go with the best cut you can afford. My earring priorities are different than my ring priorities. For my studs it went 1) size 2) cut 3) clarity 4) color.

What size are you thinking of?

^^I am thinking of getting 1.5cts each for a total of 3. I tried 2 cts each but felt they looked a little bit much for everyday. My local jeweler didn't have any 1.5cts in stock so I then tried 1.0 cts and they seemed ok,, but like they could be a little bigger. Other than my e-ring I am basically new to diamonds, so it all looks pretty to me lol. Can one tell the difference between the ideal and excellent?

What lab are the stones graded by? I don't believe GIA does an "ideal" grade so excellent is the best they offer. Regardless, I would put the specifics into http://www.pricescope.com/tools/hca.You wants stones that score under 2.0. I just returned a pair of 3ctw diamond studs because I didn't like the cut. My new studs should be here on Monday.

Honestly, cut is king, but most people won't be able to tell a perceivable difference between a true excellent cut or ideal cut. Look at both and trust your eyes :yes:
Love the size, it's what I have and they're perfect!

Honestly, cut is king, but most people won't be able to tell a perceivable difference between a true excellent cut or ideal cut. Look at both and trust your eyes :yes:
Love the size, it's what I have and they're perfect!
I agree with the cut - it makes such a huge difference and the size seems to change, because of the cut.
I have seen 0.5 stones that looked like nothing, all because of the cut.

f.e. 0.3ct per ear from Tiffany's looked like 0.5ct from the "ordinary" jeweler, because of the "fire" and this glow that I found nowhere else.
1.5 from Tiffany's might seem like a 2ct.

I want to go for 0.6 per ear one day. Everything bigger makes me feel like a drag queen, probably because I am 5'10 and have big boobs? :graucho:

I agree with the cut - it makes such a huge difference and the size seems to change, because of the cut.
I have seen 0.5 stones that looked like nothing, all because of the cut.

f.e. 0.3ct per ear from Tiffany's looked like 0.5ct from the "ordinary" jeweler, because of the "fire" and this glow that I found nowhere else.
1.5 from Tiffany's might seem like a 2ct.

I want to go for 0.6 per ear one day. Everything bigger makes me feel like a drag queen, probably because I am 5'10 and have big boobs? :graucho:
Oh no...I'm 5'10" with big studs, average boobs but a deep voice, never thought of the drag queen aspect..................... LOL!
Cut can make or break any diamond.

Thanks for all the responses. I am not sure what lab they are graded by. We were kind of pressed for time at the jewelers and I was so hung up on what size was best that I hardly got any of the other details. I am going to take a look at an ideal and excellent cut next time I go. I tend to like instant gratification, and was tempted to walk out with my first pair yesterday. I am glad I didn't, would rather be informed and patient and get it right. McLoverly thanks for the link.