Diamond stud upgrade--worth it?

vinolady

O.G.
Feb 23, 2010
Hi
I've been reading everything here about diamond studs and am a bit overwhelmed. I've been thinking of upgrading my .69ctw to 1.04cwt., but was wondering if this size jump is even worth it. I was quoted $2850 for them (f-color, gia-cert) minus my trade ins. I have little lobes so don't want to go too big.

I guess my questions are
1. is a .35ctw increase worth it? do people usually wait for a bigger jump like up to 1.5ctw?
2. i want them really to sparkle so what aspect should i focus on? I'm guessing f-color isn't really necessary (the salesperson kept stressing the f-color aspect).

Oh what to do...

I do not think it's worth the money........I would consider going up to 1.25-1.50 twt and take the color down a notch or two but make sure the cut is very good to get excellent scintillation. Good Luck!!

Reactions: celine666666
They would look bigger definitely, but in my opinion, not enough bigger to justify that amount of money.
Are you tied in to getting them at that particular store?
I just did a search for pairs of diamonds and for between $2500 and $2700 you could buy a whole new pair of diamonds (not the setting, but that's not expensive) 1.22 total weight or 1.40 ctw on Bluenile.com that are ideal or very good cut for that price. They would I or J color SI1 or SI2. You would not have to trade in, and they would be very sparkly, with GIA certs for each diamonds. If you don't like that low of a color, you can get G or H, also SI1 or SI2 color a little smaller, 1 ctw or up to 1.20 ctw. What you should do is to go on their site and use the 'build your own earrings feature' and see what you can get. the settings cost about $200 for 18k white and $400 for platinum.
They have a great return policy and can get the earrings to you very soon.
You could sell your other ones somewhere or keep them and do something else with the diamonds.
Bluenile.com does not have a tradeup policy though.

Other sites to check out would be goodoldgold.com and jamesallen.com.

I just think that you are getting seriously cheated to have to turn in a pair of earrings, still pay that much money and only get 1 ctw--you can do better. Look around a bit before you decide what to do.

For the sparkle, make sure that they are ideal cut or at least very good cut.
SI1 or even SI2 is fine if they will always be earrings.
You have to decide what your comfort level with color is, but GIA or AGS graded J diamonds still face up white. You might see a little color on the side of the diamond, but honestly, with earrings no one is going up next to your earlobe and scrutinize enough to notice.
You would be safest with build your own, or else talking to a sales rep at one of the good places online and letting them select diamonds.
I got mine, which I love at Whiteflash.com and they are wonderful but I think whiteflash is a little more expensive than bluenile.com (where I have also gotten beautiful jewelry).
for $2800, you can get gorgeous and sizable earrings, without trading in--to have you tradein and still charge that much (and I assume these are earrings without GIA or AGS certs); that's really terrible.

I do not think it's worth the money........I would consider going up to 1.25-1.50 twt and take the color down a notch or two but make sure the cut is very good to get excellent scintillation. Good Luck!!
Exactly, .75ct (1.50tcw) is a great size. G SI1 with an excellent cut will look fabulous!!!

Thank you so much ladies! I've been trying to educate myself on diamond studs since I visited the store. I do think the saleswoman was trying to make a quick sale/upgrade since I had my earrings there. I went in there very clueless. We're planning to go back and work with the owner who my husband worked with for my e-ring, eternity band and studs. I'm also going to print out some info from websites with some comps. I would rather get bigger diamond studs than to have absolutely perfect diamonds...though now i know cut is absolutely key for this purchase. Thanks again!

You said MINUS your trade in's. I don't think anyone read that. So, what are your trade in's worth? So how much would you actually be paying?

i was quoted 2850 for the diamond studs, and they would give me about 800 for my trade in studs so i would pay 2080 for the new ones. However, the increase would be just over .3ctw and the specs are off for studs (ie i dont need perfectly colorless diamonds)

In NYC you could get a pair of nice 1.50 cttw for that price....and your stats say you are in Brooklyn, so I say NO WAY!

As other ladies have said, cut is most important. I don't think it is important to have reaaly white studs... If they aren't perfect, the imperfection will be more noticeable.

IMHO...they are earrings....they just need to look pretty....

^^ I gather that you don't want to shop online, where you would get the best deal. Which is fine. You should still shop around however, because if you take what this particular jeweller is offering you, you are giving them your current studs for free AND overpaying for what you are getting from them. They are taking your studs and still charging an amount which you could use to get a much larger pair of studs elsewhere. I would drop negotiations with them and look around at what you could get for about $2000. You should look online at least to get an idea of what specs you would like and how much they would cost there and then you can bargain with prospective jewellers and get a better deal in person.

Do not buy anything that cannot be returned, would be my last piece of advice.

Blackjade, thanks so much for the helpful tips and info. I am going to this jeweler because it's where I can trade up my original studs. I am going to bring print out some comps from the internet and bring them to negotiate. If my husband and I feel like we are getting ripped off then of course we're out of there. We've had such good luck in the past with this jeweler and it was one of the idiot workers that I was dealing with recently.

Thanks again for all the info... you ladies know you're stuff and now I feel like a more informed consumer

Good lluck, hope you get something you like. good diamond stud earrings are so nice. I never take mine out of my ears since I got them. Hope you enjoy your new ones, and your husband is nice for buying them.