Diamond stud setting - Pros & Cons?

lolakitten

O.G.
Mar 11, 2007
Hi all, I am starting to research/plan for a pair of diamond stud earrings. Funny how after all these years and so many earrings, it's something that I have always wanted, but never pulled the trigger on!
I feel confident in my selection of the actual diamonds, but I'm a bit clueless about the settings.
I've been doing some reading, and I see claws, double claws, martini, 3, 4, 6 prongs, and bezel...
So... I'm curious, what are the pros and cons in your experience with the different settings?
I'm probably looking at round cut, likely around the 1 - 1.3 ctw range...
And I wear almost exclusively Yellow or Rose gold jewelry... (wedding set is Yellow gold)
Cheers!

Congrats on getting your earrings! For the settings, I would get something that would sit comfortably in your ear. I have somewhat thin earlobes, so I prefer low set baskets because they sit flat against my earlobes. I also have martini settings, but I find that they sink more into my piercing, and I prefer the setting to sit out just a little bit beyond my earlobe. It's all preference, of course, because I have seen some people have huge diamond earrings in martini settings and they look fabulous on them. Also, try not to have too heavy of a setting since it might be uncomfortable to wear for long periods of time. I usually prefer white gold or platinum settings for diamond studs, but if I were to get yellow or rose gold, I would prefer to get a bezel setting so you can see the gold color. Good luck in your choice!

Reactions: lolakitten
Mine are set in four prong martinis in 18k yellow gold - I didn’t even know that these existed until my jeweller told me. I always felt that three prong martinis made round diamonds look a bit triangular on the ear, which I didn’t like, so four prong martinis were/are the perfect setting to allow more light in but also maintain the brilliant cut round appearance of them on the ear. I’ve attached a photo - they are 1.60 ttcw (.80 in each ear). I also predominantly wear yellow gold and like that these look fairly traditional.

I also have more modern looking bezel-set diamond studs in white gold which are a lot smaller - 0.60 ttcw. As you can see from my attached photo they still look pretty big thanks to the clever bezel setting! This might be an idea for your earrings if you like the look, as it not only makes the stone look bigger on your ear but you can see the setting.

Attachments

• CB1A15D4-2408-4792-9940-54DE294037C1.jpeg
    CB1A15D4-2408-4792-9940-54DE294037C1.jpeg
    87.5 KB · Views: 480
  • B17759A5-9F17-4E7F-8B9A-656F3832D824.jpeg
    B17759A5-9F17-4E7F-8B9A-656F3832D824.jpeg
    115.5 KB · Views: 474
Mine are Bony Levy in a 3 prong which allows a lot of light to shine. The prong is also cut deep so it sits in and close to the ear perfectly. Many basket settings you can only see the diamond from the side since they sit way out. With a 3 prong martini setting you see the diamond as someone looks in front of you if that makes sense.

Congrats on getting your earrings! For the settings, I would get something that would sit comfortably in your ear. I have somewhat thin earlobes, so I prefer low set baskets because they sit flat against my earlobes. I also have martini settings, but I find that they sink more into my piercing, and I prefer the setting to sit out just a little bit beyond my earlobe. It's all preference, of course, because I have seen some people have huge diamond earrings in martini settings and they look fabulous on them. Also, try not to have too heavy of a setting since it might be uncomfortable to wear for long periods of time. I usually prefer white gold or platinum settings for diamond studs, but if I were to get yellow or rose gold, I would prefer to get a bezel setting so you can see the gold color. Good luck in your choice!

Ahh thats another issue! Do I want to see metal or not...
I have pretty small ear lobes too.

Mine are set in four prong martinis in 18k yellow gold - I didn’t even know that these existed until my jeweller told me. I always felt that three prong martinis made round diamonds look a bit triangular on the ear, which I didn’t like, so four prong martinis were/are the perfect setting to allow more light in but also maintain the brilliant cut round appearance of them on the ear. I’ve attached a photo - they are 1.60 ttcw (.80 in each ear). I also predominantly wear yellow gold and like that these look fairly traditional.

I also have more modern looking bezel-set diamond studs in white gold which are a lot smaller - 0.60 ttcw. As you can see from my attached photo they still look pretty big thanks to the clever bezel setting! This might be an idea for your earrings if you like the look, as it not only makes the stone look bigger on your ear but you can see the setting.
These are so pretty, and helpful thanks!

Mine are Bony Levy in a 3 prong which allows a lot of light to shine. The prong is also cut deep so it sits in and close to the ear perfectly. Many basket settings you can only see the diamond from the side since they sit way out. With a 3 prong martini setting you see the diamond as someone looks in front of you if that makes sense.

Yes makes sense, I think a basket is kind of off my list...

I prefer to see as little metal as possible. I prefer a 3-prong martini setting personally :smile:

I can appreciate this... so if you see as little metal as possible, would your other jewelry colours even be a factor?
If I don’t have any other white metal, should I avoid white setting?

Hi! I have a 6-prong martini. I like it because it makes the diamond look nice and round. I also have a Tiffany engagement ring which I like the fact it matches the 6-prong, if that matters to you.

I had a four prong basket, and it made the diamond look square. Plus, it also stuck out so my diamond kind of drooped at a slight angle. I also had a 3-prong martini, and it made the diamond look like a triangle. All mine were in platinum.

For me, the 6-prong is the perfect symmetry. I would suggest you look at them in real life first.

Hope that helps. Good luck!

Mine are approximately 2ctw (approx. 6.3mm each) in 3 prong martini settings with delicate prongs and jumbo backs. I wear them daily (but not to sleep or shower) and love them. They sit low and I’ve had no issues with the settings stretching my piecing holes or my hair getting caught behind the settings, which I’ve heard can happen with basket style settings. I also like the look of bezel settings for smaller stones, but I have no experience with them. GLD
9A948E90-B723-4E65-9C52-A776489B7D1F.jpeg

Hi! I have a 6-prong martini. I like it because it makes the diamond look nice and round. I also have a Tiffany engagement ring which I like the fact it matches the 6-prong, if that matters to you.

I had a four prong basket, and it made the diamond look square. Plus, it also stuck out so my diamond kind of drooped at a slight angle. I also had a 3-prong martini, and it made the diamond look like a triangle. All mine were in platinum.

For me, the 6-prong is the perfect symmetry. I would suggest you look at them in real life first.

Hope that helps. Good luck!

Ohh 6 prong, is this a specialty setting or can any jeweler create this? I like the idea of maintaining the round shape. I need to look into this, it sounds like it might be a more unique look too, which is a bonus.
I’m starting to definitely feel like a 4 prong is out... even my e ring (which is a radiant) is made with a double claw...

Mine are approximately 2ctw (approx. 6.3mm each) in 3 prong martini settings with delicate prongs and jumbo backs. I wear them daily (but not to sleep or shower) and love them. They sit low and I’ve had no issues with the settings stretching my piecing holes or my hair getting caught behind the settings, which I’ve heard can happen with basket style settings. I also like the look of bezel settings for smaller stones, but I have no experience with them. GLD
View attachment 4735015

These are lovely! Definitely bigger than what I’m looking at, but it’s good to know how nice they sit, thank you.

Ohh 6 prong, is this a specialty setting or can any jeweler create this? I like the idea of maintaining the round shape. I need to look into this, it sounds like it might be a more unique look too, which is a bonus.
I’m starting to definitely feel like a 4 prong is out... even my e ring (which is a radiant) is made with a double claw...

These are lovely! Definitely bigger than what I’m looking at, but it’s good to know how nice they sit, thank you.

Hi! Yes... the diamond looks super round, and because it is a martini, it sits on the ear beautifully. I have small ear lobes.

The 6-prong is not typically in stock. The jeweler said it was a great idea, and he said he could easily make it. I am sure yours can make it too. You can choose how you want the prongs as well as your post.

I went with the tiny rounded button prongs to match my ring, as I am not really a fan of claw prongs. For my earring post, I was going to do Pochette backs for something different, but I decided those are too complicated for my clumsy fingers. I stayed with screwbacks with I have had for years and love. The reason why I love screwbacks is that aside from being super secure, I can tightened or loosen them to exactly what I want and not have to worry. With regular posts, I feel I always have to squeeze them a bit tighter. It’s just me probably.

I really love them... the diamond looks super round, the setting is light and airy, and all you see is diamond. I actually had fun getting them made, and it was super easy. Not expensive either as this is simple stuff to a jeweler.

Have fun earring setting shopping! Congrats on your soon to be new diamond studs!

Reactions: lolakitten
For that size if you decide on a basket setting make sure it’s low profile. So all you see is diamond.

I love studs! Perfect everyday earring. GL on finding your pair! That’s the fun part.

I love stuller settings for ER and earrings. Go on their site. They have every stud setting imaginable to give you a general idea on what you may like.
https://www.stuller.com/browse/jewelry/earrings/diamond-studs

Hi! Yes... the diamond looks super round, and because it is a martini, it sits on the ear beautifully. I have small ear lobes.

The 6-prong is not typically in stock. The jeweler said it was a great idea, and he said he could easily make it. I am sure yours can make it too. You can choose how you want the prongs as well as your post.

I went with the tiny rounded button prongs to match my ring, as I am not really a fan of claw prongs. For my earring post, I was going to do Pochette backs for something different, but I decided those are too complicated for my clumsy fingers. I stayed with screwbacks with I have had for years and love. The reason why I love screwbacks is that aside from being super secure, I can tightened or loosen them to exactly what I want and not have to worry. With regular posts, I feel I always have to squeeze them a bit tighter. It’s just me probably.

I really love them... the diamond looks super round, the setting is light and airy, and all you see is diamond. I actually had fun getting them made, and it was super easy. Not expensive either as this is simple stuff to a jeweler.

Have fun earring setting shopping! Congrats on your soon to be new diamond studs!

Thanks, I’ll ask about them! that’s a very good point about screw backs, I’ve never tried them on yet, but I like the idea of adjusting the tightness.

Yes...the less metal the more light satuation=sparkle! I prefer a 3 prong martini for any size 2 TCW and under. For a larger stone 4/6 prong. I love @willeyi 6 prong studs!
View attachment 4735416

Woa these are gorgeous :nuts::love: