Diamond Stud pricing?

barbie_86

Jul 15, 2015
Well, I just meant not Zales, Kay, etc...
If you want the best bang for your buck look online: Blue Nile, James Allen, Brian Gavin etc

Price will depend on the specs: cut as well as clarity and colour. Looking on BN, they have a pair of 1.02 TCW ideal cut, E colour, VS2 clarity stones in a 4 prong platinum setting for 3.3k; could probably get something closer to the 2.5-3k mark though.

Jul 28, 2009
Orange County, CA
If I recall correctly my ~1 carat lab-created diamond studs set in platinum martini settings were ~$1,800 from Brilliant Earth. They're ~0.95 carat, H color, SI2 clarity, and super ideal cut. Make sure you look at the actual carat size of the set when you purchase - some major retailers were selling sets as small as 0.90 carats as "1 carat studs" at a 1 CTW price.

Feb 7, 2017
If I recall correctly my ~1 carat lab-created diamond studs set in platinum martini settings were ~$1,800 from Brilliant Earth. They're ~0.95 carat, H color, SI2 clarity, and super ideal cut. Make sure you look at the actual carat size of the set when you purchase - some major retailers were selling sets as small as 0.90 carats as "1 carat studs" at a 1 CTW price.
Thanks! So are yours a TW 1.00 carat or a carat in each ear? Thank you!

Feb 7, 2017
The ones I was describing are 1 carat total weight (1/2 carat each ear)
OK. Thanks! Thats what I thought. Ideally I would love to have a TW of 2 or 3..LOL..But so unaffordable. I think 1/2 ct in each ear would be noticeable. Maybe more of a diamond cluster earring would be cheaper.

applecidered

Jan 19, 2014
Texas
Have you considered lab created or synthetics? I feel that for the ears it's not very easy to tell whether the studs are "real" or not. Plus it won't hurt your wallet too much!

Notorious Pink

Hermès PurseBlogger!
O.G.
Jun 8, 2007
New York
Lab created? Is that the same thing?

It's perfectly fine if someone does not want or can't afford real diamonds, but if you want diamonds (I guess OP isn't clear but she does say diamond studs) this is not the same thing. I also don't understand spending $2000 on what is essentially costume jewelry. At that price I'd look for genuine resale/vintage instead.

ETA: again, to be clear, nothing wrong with costume. In my current rotation is an adorable heart-shaped "diamond" ring DS2 (who is 10) gave me for Valentines Day, which is very white and sparkly and looks great, but he didn't spend very much on it - at the price point above it's a lot. There's a concession at my hair salon that sells great looking fakes (which is my shorthand for anything not a genuine diamond) for a lot less.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2017
Lab created? Is that the same thing?

It's perfectly fine if someone does not want or can't afford real diamonds, but if you want diamonds (I guess OP isn't clear but she does say diamond studs) this is not the same thing. I also don't understand spending $2000 on what is essentially costume jewelry. At that price I'd look for genuine resale/vintage instead.

ETA: again, to be clear, nothing wrong with costume. In my current rotation is an adorable heart-shaped "diamond" ring DS2 (who is 10) gave me for Valentines Day, which is very white and sparkly and looks great, but he didn't spend very much on it - at the price point above it's a lot. There's a concession at my hair salon that sells great looking fakes (which is my shorthand for anything not a genuine diamond) for a lot less.
I am confused you consider real diamonds at 2,000 costume jewelry?
You are right I have fake earrings, but want real ones as I know I would use them every day.
All of my jewelry was stolen from me , so I am trying to build up a nice collection without wasting alot on all costume jewelry.

Notorious Pink

Hermès PurseBlogger!
O.G.
Jun 8, 2007
New York
I am confused you consider real diamonds at 2,000 costume jewelry?
You are right I have fake earrings, but want real ones as I know I would use them every day.
All of my jewelry was stolen from me , so I am trying to build up a nice collection without wasting alot on all costume jewelry.
No, I consider $2000 on "lab created" diamonds costume jewelry. She said her "diamond" earrings were "lab created" so to me that says are not real diamonds.

As far as I know, anything other than natural diamonds isn't real and so is costume. There may be exceptions where it is standard to heat certain stones, but those are details I am unsure of, so perhaps I am wrong - but as far as I know "lab created" means "costume". I personally lean toward name brands from the boutique so I don't have to worry about provenance or quality, although that isn't necessary with studs (which I do not own).

I personally prefer 'real' as opposed to 'costume' and would rather save for it but I know many others don't or can't so I am careful not to offend anyone.

Reactions: AntiqueShopper
Feb 7, 2017
Oh, OK. I think you misunderstood! From Brilliant Earth they are real diamonds. Someone else was replying . But than someone else mentioned if I have thought about buying lab created or fake. :smile: I agree with you. I regret spending some money on cheaper costume pieces. I would rather have some lasting pieces, even if it is higher end costume. It is silly I don't invest on real diamond studs since I tend to wear fake studs everyday. I have a gorgeous engagement ring, married 11 years already, so why not pretty matching studs. :smile: I really would love 2 carats in each ear to match my ring, but that will never happen :O

Reactions: BBC