Diamond stud earrings or white sapphire or...?

I have diamond studs I wear all the time, but maybe I would like slightly larger studs. I hear that color, clarity etc... matter less for earrings than rings or even necklaces. I was wondering what anyone thinks of white sapphire studs or maybe white topaz to get a similar look... I would like 6mm sized I think. I don't like the idea of CZ and I hear they turn cloudy, but maybe that isn't true - I've never had any of my own to know. What do you think would be the best choice if cost is a factor, I want something that will last, and they will be on the ear? I know you all know a lot about jewelery and opinions are very welcome :smile:

I have some white sapphire huggie type earrings and they look like diamonds to me. They were very reasonable in price and I've gotten a lot of wear out of them. You really need to see the sapphire studs to make your decision though.

I've heard that the Asha diamond simulants are very nice and sparkly, and don't cloud like regular cz's sometimes do. The pricing isn't too bad for them either. Moissanite might also be an option for you; they're very sparkly and look fairly realistic in comparison to diamonds.

I've heard that the Asha diamond simulants are very nice and sparkly, and don't cloud like regular cz's sometimes do. The pricing isn't too bad for them either. Moissanite might also be an option for you; they're very sparkly and look fairly realistic in comparison to diamonds.

^^^ great ideal!!!

I have some white topaz jewelry and some is sparkly and some isn't. It depends on the stone and cut, like w/ diamonds. I would want to see the white topaz or sapphire in person or have a good return policy, in case they are a bit dull. I have various pairs of CZ studs and they don't really get cloudy. I have some from QVC, HSN and even places like Nordstrom Rack. They get dirty quicker and look cloudy though, if you don't keep them clean. It is really all what you want and what you want to spend.

White sapphires are not all man made, there are natural white sapphires and lab created white sapphires. I have a ring with natural white sapphires and they do sparkle like diamonds when they are smaller, but the bigger ones don't always sparkle as much, so it's good to be able to see them in person.

i wear moissanite earrings, everyone thinks they are the real thing. i upgraded them last year, because the moissanite stones are now whiter than they used to be. 1 carat and under per ear are extremely believable. they sparkle more than diamonds, but i don't clean them very often...so they look very realistic. all my friends have diamonds, and so do i...but mine sit in safety deposit box. nobody thinks they are anything but diamonds. they are in platinum screw-back settings, just as the real thing.

one of my friends found them sitting on the counter, and she freaked out that i would leave my diamonds "just sitting around" i didn't say a word.

Guccimama & Texasgirliegirl - if you wouldn't mind saying, where did you buy them? And what kind of metal did you get? I think I might want palladium, but am not sure. I feel like the 14k is not the match to most of my jewelry anyway since it is mainly 18k or 22k, so why gold at all when Palladium is light and non-allergy.

Guccimama & Texasgirliegirl - if you wouldn't mind saying, where did you buy them? And what kind of metal did you get? I think I might want palladium, but am not sure. I feel like the 14k is not the match to most of my jewelry anyway since it is mainly 18k or 22k, so why gold at all when Palladium is light and non-allergy.

The ones I gave as gifts were set in "Italian silver"....the jeweler lives in Paris and cuts/sets her own stones.

White sapphires are not all man made, there are natural white sapphires and lab created white sapphires. I have a ring with natural white sapphires and they do sparkle like diamonds when they are smaller, but the bigger ones don't always sparkle as much, so it's good to be able to see them in person.
Thanks for the clarification. After I got home from buying the earrings I googled white sapphires because I had never heard of them before.
These were not very expensive but they really sparkle.

A quality cubic zirconia such as Asha, or even moissanite, are both going to give you a more realistic look than white sapphire, which lacks both the fire and brilliance that make diamonds so desirable. White sapphires may be a satisfactory stand-in for diamond cuts where neither fire nor brilliance matter as much (rose, square-step), but they are not going to be more convincing than any other clear stone (quartz, topaz).

White sapphire will be more durable than cubic zirconia and less durable than moissanite, though I wouldn't worry about durability much because earrings don't take much abuse throughout the day. I'd set a budget and work within it, from around $50 (http://jewelry.hsn.com/2ct-absolute...rings_p-2427614_xp.aspx?ocm=j|j00138|2&cm_re=) up to about $1000 (http://betterthandiamond.com/products/Amora-3%2dprong-"Martini"-Stud-Earrings.html) keeping in mind that only someone intimate with you will ever get close enough to discern a real difference.