Diamond Stud Advice..Tiffany, Blue Nile or other

KristineNaj

Jan 12, 2013
Looking for some advice..

I would like to order a pair of diamond studs....I don't have a huge budget.

Choices:

Tiffany
Ellsa Peretti diamonds by the yard
sterling silver
0.14 carat
$695

Blue Nile
Bezel Set Platinum setting
Ideal-cut, F-color, VS1-clarity
Total Carat Weight: 0.48
$1150

Small local jeweler
white gold
unsure about setting
G color
vs1 clarity
total carat weight 0.40
$600-700 depending on which setting I chose.

Right now the majority of my jewelry is from Tiffany...mostly sterling silver, with several platinum pieces.

I'd love some advice and opinions :smile:

From what you've posted, it seems as if you get the most bang for your buck from your local jeweler. And this way you also support small business which is always a good thing. :smile:

Is there resale value to diamond studs....and should I care? I mean, I know resale value on Tiffany pieces seem to be decent. Of course I don't think I would be selling them any time soon.

I really like my local jeweler...so on the one hand it would be nice to give him the business.

I think I would go for the Blue Nile pair unless the local jeweler's cut are equally or almost as good. With smaller diamonds, I personally think the cut is really important for sparkle factor, so it might be worth it to you to pay the extra for the cut factor even if the color/clarity/carat weight are pretty similar. It's a pity you can't see them in person before purchase, though. In any case, I would definitely ask your local jeweler's about the cut of the diamonds or have a look at them in person to see how well they sparkle.

As for resale value, I think possibly anything stamped as Tiffany's will hold its value a little better, but you're paying a big premium at the outset for a not-big difference in resale value down the line which may not even be relevant to you unless you're considering upgrading, etc. It's really up to you whether or not you think the "risk" that you won't want to upgrade or need to sell them in the next couple of years is worth having larger stones now.

Good luck with your decision!

Who graded the stones from the local guy and what's the cut grade? I'd want the reports before I made my decision. Just based solely on the data provided above, blue nile wins for me as I could select my stones and know I was getting well cut stones for my money graded by a reputable lab.

Since i became more interested in jewelry, diamonds especially, I'm too afraid to buy diamonds at locals, just because I'm afraid they might be blood diamonds..

Is there resale value to diamond studs....and should I care? I mean, I know resale value on Tiffany pieces seem to be decent. Of course I don't think I would be selling them any time soon.

I really like my local jeweler...so on the one hand it would be nice to give him the business.

resale on tiffany is way higher then non branded or blue nile diamonds. if you plan on upgrading for bigger studs down the road also see what company had an upgrade program :smile:

Is the one by local jeweler certified? If so, you might be able to check the cut, too. Cut is pretty important to me because it is one of the factors that determines how sparkly the diamonds are.

I know shopping at Blue Nile is less romantic than shopping at Tiffany's, but I have not been disappointed in their products. I am very satisfied with my diamond studs I got from them.

Attachments

• IMG_0947.jpg
    IMG_0947.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 1,815
  • IMGP3633.jpg
    IMGP3633.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 1,683
Is the one by local jeweler certified? If so, you might be able to check the cut, too. Cut is pretty important to me because it is one of the factors that determines how sparkly the diamonds are.

I know shopping at Blue Nile is less romantic than shopping at Tiffany's, but I have not been disappointed in their products. I am very satisfied with my diamond studs I got from them.

GORGEOUS!!! :drool:

Do you mind giving us some stats? Carat, cut and maybe some modelling pics?? :biggrin: :graucho:

I have bought many pieces from Bluenile and I've always been impressed.

GORGEOUS!!! :drool:

Do you mind giving us some stats? Carat, cut and maybe some modelling pics?? :biggrin: :graucho:

I have bought many pieces from Bluenile and I've always been impressed.
I purchased those stones:
http://www.bluenile.com/round-diamo...ty_LD02449205?keyword_search_value=LD02449205

and

http://www.bluenile.com/round-diamo...ty_LD02325200?keyword_search_value=LD02325200

I bought it last year but it still makes me feel ahh when I see them! Bitten, I think you helped me choose these, actually!

Attachments

• kako-ot5D2042UBhmICpW.jpg
    kako-ot5D2042UBhmICpW.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 2,020
Reactions: Fine Frenzy
I purchased those stones:
http://www.bluenile.com/round-diamo...ty_LD02449205?keyword_search_value=LD02449205

and

http://www.bluenile.com/round-diamo...ty_LD02325200?keyword_search_value=LD02325200

I bought it last year but it still makes me feel ahh when I see them! Bitten, I think you helped me choose these, actually!

Omg STUNNING on you!!! Thank you for the beauty shots :biggrin: :tup:

I think they're a perfect size on you, the sparkle is gorgeous - it's amazing what great cut does :yes:

What's your budget? On Bluenile, a budget of $1250 (plus setting) can get you quite far. 0.82 tcw, H, SI2, GIA.

Grading Report:
GIA ReportGIA

GIA ReportGIA
Stock number: LD02877918 LD03099736
Price: $554 $546
Bank wire price: $546 $538
Price per carat: $1,351 $1,332
Carat weight: 0.41 0.41
Cut: Very Good Very Good
Color: H H
Clarity: SI2 SI2
Depth %: 64.2 63.8
Table %: 56 57
Polish: Very Good Very Good
Symmetry: Very Good Very Good
Girdle: Medium to Slightly Thick Slightly Thick to Thick
Culet: None None
Fluorescence: None None
Measurements: 4.65 x 4.70 x 3.00 mm 4.66 x 4.68 x 2.98 mm

I think Bluenile is a better deal, since you can choose the specs of diamonds with GIA. As earrings, clarity won't be as evident. The pair you chose on Bluenile sounds lovely, but should you want to go up in size, you have the options. The others don't give you that.