Diamond Selection Help - Advice Needed

whoops

O.G.
Dec 4, 2008
I haven't posted too much on this portion of tpf but I've been a long time admirer of the rings posted. There are some stunning rings in here that I've admired! Especially all the stunners in the reference threads! I never thought the day would actually come I would be able to make a post here!

So here is my first post in the jewelry box! my boyfriend and I have been looking at engagement rings lately together. We talked about the budget and he asked me whether or not I'd like it to be fully dedicated to the setting or the diamond. I've decided to sacrifice the quality on the diamond to have the setting of my dreams, the Tacori 2620 :yahoo: !!!

:love::love: Here is a link to how the setting looks: http://www.since1910.com/engagement-ring-blog/tacori-2620rd/

We are fully set on the setting and even the bf loves it. My boyfriend has chosen for it to be in platinum with nonpave shoulders. But it brings my budget for the diamond to around $7-8k.

As we were browsing online dealers, I've decided that GoodOldGold.com is the dealer we will be purchasing from. We just put this diamond on hold:

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/7274/

It's a Round Brilliant 1.04ct G si1 Hearts and Arrows. I'm not sure if it's eye clean and I've emailed the dealer to provide pictures and will probably ask for a video as well since I can't tell from what they provide. I'm a complete new student to diamonds. :sad:

Specs:
Cut: excellent
Polish: excellent
Sym: excellent
Measurements 6.52-6.55x3.99
Table: 56.71%
Depth: 61.02%
Crown: 34.09
Pavilion: 40.79
Florescent: faint

HCA Rating: 1.0

But knowing you ladies are much more knowledgable than my bf and I will most likely ever be with evaluating diamonds, I was hoping you could advise me of questions I should ask or be concerned for beyond it being "eye clean".

These are two other diamonds we have looked at:

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/7297/

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/7732/

But went for the other one because it appears to be the most likely to be eye clean as well as has the best light performance. Also, the inscription makes me feel a little more secure when I bring it to my local store to go and get the ring set.

So pretty much I wanted to know what your opinions were on the diamond?
Does it look like we did okay or should I continue to look elsewhere for a better diamond in my budget?
Is there another suggestion that would help me stay in budget?
The GIA report states there are additional clouds and surface grain not shown, should I worry
?

We would ideally like to stay in the E-G color range and the VS1-SI1 (eye clean) range. And the ideal cut being the most absolute important! Is this even possible?

THANK YOU so much for any help!!!
TPF is always the place I know I can go for expert advice on anything. I trust all your advice and experience in diamonds!

Last edited:
I think you picked a great stone. The porportions look great; the color is awesome. Out of the other two, I would choose the vintage. The other one is SI2 which is below the level I would go for a ring.

That stone is a KNOCKOUT. The ISEE2 test is phenomenal, the ASET and Idealscope are gorgeous. While the 1.11 is nice, it's DEFINITELY not going to be eyeclean. I like the AVR stone but I would not be happy long term. They are lovely in person but I am not as big on old style cuts.

They only have one inclusion noted in those microscopic shots on this 1.04, which leads me to believe it's the grademaker. I would think it's eye-clean, but have Sarah and Jon look at it. Tell them you want it 'Ame's version of eyeclean' lol and they'll know ;)

I don't believe #2 will be eyeclean either, FYI.

The good thing about the one you reserved is that that inclusion could be RIGHT near a prong.

Thank you so much everyone for your opinions. I'm really new to this and don't want to pick a bad stone while caught up in the excitement of ering shopping.

Ame - ! I'll be sure to ask them about your version of eye clean! I know that GOG standard is 15 inches from top. What is yours?

How is your experience with GOG? I've never bought online before but they look the best for overall quality and completeness of information provided. If this is eye clean, per your specs, there isn't a doubt this will be my stone. It was my bfs favorite as well.

Also should I be worried about the notation of clouds and surface graining? It seems to be notated but not as grade determining?

These notations make me skeptical, because the stone was quite reasonable pricewise! Im almost scared too good to be true. The price was less than the other two that I had posted. But I know GOG is reputable and has a great return policy and lifetime gaurentee on this h&a stone. So I'm hoping I just caught a lucky break! I've never bought online but also don't have the best ability to find inclusions even in person!

HCA: 1.0, Triple X and G color? What a find! I think your diamond is a spectacular choice! I agree that the 1.11 sounds tempting because it's larger, but since it's a SI2, I would prefer to choose clarity over size.

I support Ame's post here as well. While I'm not a fan of purchasing sight-unseen, having Jon reassure you & speaking with him, that will enable you to make the right decision.

Your ring is going to be GOREGEOUS!

Thank you so much everyone for your opinions. I'm really new to this and don't want to pick a bad stone while caught up in the excitement of ering shopping.

Ame - ! I'll be sure to ask them about your version of eye clean! I know that GOG standard is 15 inches from top. What is yours?

How is your experience with GOG? I've never bought online before but they look the best for overall quality and completeness of information provided. If this is eye clean, per your specs, there isn't a doubt this will be my stone. It was my bfs favorite as well.

My definition of eye clean is that if I can see it AT ALL without a loupe, from any distance, any angle, in any lighting it's not eye clean. Eye clean to me means "naked eye cannot see anything at all ever".

The other notes don't sound like they would be problematic, at least not in an SI1.

My experiences were fantastic. I am a hard customer. I know what I want, I know what I don't want to settle on, and I know enough about this stuff to potentially piss off the majority of jewelers. Jon was ridiculously patient with me. So was Matt. :smile: The fact that they run SO MANY tests on their stuff...that's a big deal. It takes a little of the guesswork out of buying without seeing in person. They might be able to make a video of that stone for you also.

I will definitely call tomorrow and ask for those specific "eye clean" requirements. I'm really looking forward to working with GOG after all the positive things people have said. I'm really hoping that this is the ONE! I'll be very eager to call them tomorrow morning to confirm it is. Thank you so much ame! You have definitely put a lot of my worry wort issues to rest. It doesn't seem like there is any reason on any of these responses that the diamond won't be eye clean....

*cross fingers*

It should be eye clean. Ill be curious what they tell you tomorrow :smile:

If it's not the one, theyll find one. They can bring in stuff. But with V-day coming up you're fighting for the good ones!

I'll be sure to keep you all updated as I search for the diamond! The first time we looked at rings/diamonds was around Christmas and we were fighting for stock then too. Just bad timing perhaps. We both knew valentines day is coming up and it's one of the main reasons why we reserved this diamond for now, just in case! But the website showed that it was in stock since may of last year so I'm surprised no one picked it up yet!

Maybe a stupid question. But if I choose against this stone because it isn't eye clean (hoping that it is of course!) then I could just apply that deposit towards another stone right? I didn't see a policy online about how the reservation process works.

I'm really hoping the main crystal that is grade determining is somewhat clear, or I can hide it under a prong hopefully... Luckily the setting has a rather large basket to hide a lot of the side blemishes. I'm hoping the center pinpoints are clear as well. The microscopic images don't even point them out and I don't see them in picture. I have bad eye sight when it comes to this so I have to pretty much rely on the vendor.

That h vs2 looks beautiful and had an incredible isee2 score! Too bad for the crystal being in the center like that. Otherwise it would have been perfect. Surprising that it is a vs2.