Diamond Question

XCCX

Instagram @thediarentist
O.G.
Nov 23, 2009
Hello,

I've been learning alot about diamonds from you guys here on this amazing forum :biggrin:

One thing I couldnt get though, which is more important? color or clarity? (if I have to compromise one, which way to I go?)
I understand, cut is king, and ofcourse carat. But clearing this thing out for me will help alot!

ETA: one more thing please! what is the minimum clarity for a ring to be of a good quality?

Last edited by a moderator:
IMO each diamond is so individual that you could actually 'play' with the color/clarity factors and end up with a stunning diamond. I would not go below an SI2 IF it's certified by a reputable cert house - GIA being the most stringent. Color, sometimes, you can go as low as an "I" and still have a diamond that does not pull any warmth/color. The cut will have impact on how the diamond will present itself (as you already know). Best of Luck!

Color is only important to the purchaser. Everybody likes different colors so only you can determine that. For clarity, you can go to SI1-2 as long as it is eye clean.

There's no right or wrong on this one. Both are about equal to me, I don't need the best of either but wouldn't choose the lowest either.
I'm happy around H or I color and VS2 and SI1 clarity.

For my tastes I prefer SI1 or better and I color or better. I don't think one is more important than the other, it's a balance that you're looking for.

Yup! They always say the better the cut, the less you'll see flaws... so if you get a great cut that reflects back tons of light, it'll make it brighter and even lift the colour!

I agree - as long as it's eye-clean and well cut, I think an H or I is fine!

For me colour is more important. :smile:

Color is more important for me. I would go as low as Si2 if it's eye clean. No one walks around with a loupe attached to their neck to inspect your stone, but if you or your girl or anyone else around her is color sensitive, you'll get comments like "hmmmm is it a tad yelloooowww???"

I think this is a difficult question to answer.

You can have an "N" color, with a VS2 clarity, but if properly CUT can look more like an "I" VS1. I don't mind a lower color IF properly CUT & CLEAR. (mind you, I still feel that the colorless ones are AMAZING- I've had an F & currently own a G....I wouldn't go lower than that)

So, all 4 C's compliment one another in my opinion. While the IDEAL cut is preferred & most important aspect of the diamond, color is very subjective but clarity will give you that hypnotic look.