diamond question

bigheart

love porcupine tree
O.G.
Jan 6, 2010
Hi all-

I would like to upgrade my diamond later this year and buy something approx 1 carat, round- should I go with local jeweler and do surrounding halo and side diamonds or buy classic Tiffany solitaire? Would you guys buy from Tiffany? Is it worth it or should I go with solitaire with halo from local jeweler?

Thanks

I would go to a local jeweler.. You pay too much for the name brand and you can get the same quality from you jeweler at approximately 20-30% less than the Tiffany prices..
And I absolutely love rings with halos..

Tiffany has some great rings for sure. If you care about the brand's name and history, and know you are paying quite a bit for their name, then go for it! I for one don't care about the name on the box for diamonds, so if I were you I'll look for the best diamond your money can buy from online or reputable and trustworthy local diamond vendors. Most of the times local B & M stores are more expensive than buying from online vendors.....

You can get the same quality or better as a Tiffany's stone for a lot less if you aren't dying for it to have a stamp inside no one but you will know is there.
I always go local personally. I tell them I want a handful of stones to look at and I give them my specs.
As far as settings, try the 3 on you mentions and see which captures your heart.
If you are interested in a bigger stone you could forego the blingy setting for now and put that extra $ into the stone and then reset the stone at a later date{?}

With the local jeweler I have discussed an approx 1 carat round with a halo and then small diamonds on the side of the band

With Tiffany I would do a classic round solitaire

budget for either would be high 4 figures

Yeah, I think you guys are right- with the local jeweler I can get a nice quality 1 carat with the halo setting and diamonds in the band

What are the color grades you would expect for that price 5-6k

okay i will be the voice of dissent.....For any other piece of jewelry, I would find something really nice online within my budget. but for the ring, i think I prefer a tiffany's if it were an option. There is just something special about an ering from Tiffany's. just my thought

bigheart,
Post the same question on pricescope. Someone there will give you suggestions on stones and settings for your bugget. Even if you later decide to go with your local jeweler, you will have enough knowledge and ideas to finalize your selection(s).

you can get a full carat+ AGS or GIA ideal stone w/ VS2-SI1 clarity in a G or H color.
I'd also buy online but you didn't list that as an option. You need to be a more educated consumer to buy online IMO though - not saying YOU, but the general 'you'. Not everyone is confident enough or ready to buy stones sight unseen.

Kissmark- I do see your point, it is so hard to decide, and I also do like the look of the classic setting of Tiffany

I went to TD bank yesterday and the financial advisor (who is around my age and also engaged) actually noticed my ring is the Tiffany setting. She asked me about it and I was very happy to know that ppl do know the Tiffany difference :yahoo: She said her fiance's friend is getting a local jeweler to copy the Tiffany setting for his gf but it doesn't look as nice as mine!

I would vote for Tiffany anytime!!!

I got my ring from Brian Gavin Diamonds online because they have ALL of their signature collection stones in house to view prior to them being shipped out.

Go to their site or give them a call. www.briangavindiamonds.com

I would never in a million years go to a store to buy a diamond because there is a HUGE markup vs. online sales.

I got the "Tiffany" setting and everyone thinks it is a Tiffany Branded ring, so that is not true that ONLY Tiffany makes a setting that looks like it is from Tiffany.......mine is identical. Even when I wore it to Tiffany, the sales rep asked me if I wanted it cleaned and they only clean Tiffany jewelry at Tiffany.

Additionally, Tiffany's cuts are not all that great sometimes. I know their marketing ploy is that their diamonds are the "best" cuts, etc. but it is simply not true.........people that are educated about diamonds can look at a Tiffany grading report at the angles and percentages and they will know the diamond is not what it is hyped up to be. Sometimes the angles are incorrect and definitely not ideal and you can find a MUCH nicer AGS or GIA stone for less money online than at Tiffany.

Go on the Pricescope forum to get SUPER educated on diamonds. You will learn an amazing amount about diamonds.

Additionally, the setting you are talking about is probably going to be around $2k just based on platinum and the custom work that goes into it. Unless you can find the setting already made.......but I still think for a diamond band and a halo, it is going to be over $2k. 1 ct. at Tiffany starts at $9k according to their website.....which IMO is ridiculous.

These stones will be stunning just as an example in your price range! Additionally, unless you live in TX, there is no sales tax. Their performance blows AWAY any Tiffany diamond:
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond/diamond-detail/?product_id=AGS-1040399230025
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond/diamond-detail/?product_id=AGS-1040399230028
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond/diamond-detail/?product_id=AGS-1040397620002

Last edited: