Diamond chipped!

Aug 7, 2008
I just noticed a chip on the girdle of my 4 ct pear diamond. I'm shocked and so upset! I've had this stone in the same setting for about 12 years. I know it is secure etc, and do not recall hitting it with such force to cause a chip (think I would remember that!). What do I do? Can it be polished out? It's not huge, but I def can see it and I louped it (yes, I have loup at home) and can def see it then! Appreciate any advice. Scared to tell my husband until I have possible solutions!

Definitely take it to a good jeweler to have them acess the chip.
You may have several options including a re-set to protect the girdle and hide the chip, but you want to be sure you're not risking further damage.

You'd need a jeweler to assess the damage and give you the options. If it's JUST in the girdle, it might be something you can reset for protection, but any polishing will potentially affect carat weight.

Turns out my stone chip is covered by my valuables policy. Unfortunately, it is way under-insured as I haven't updated the value in many years (dumb, I know). I have to go to one of their "approved" jewelers for a stone quote before deciding to use their jeweler or cash our and use my own. The insurance makes the situation better, no doubt, but will still be out of pocket quite a bit to replace with similar stone, if I can even find one. Insurance will not pay to repair, only replace.

State Farm for valuables policy. On a separate note....ironic that you responded because I remember loving your ring and have been searching for the photo of it to no avail. Lol. Since I may be in the market for a new ring.... May start over or just replace pear...not sure yet. Can you post the picture again? Please?

Oh man I love a pear!
I'll snatch a pic from an old thread.

Funny you have Farmers with a substantial ring! My agent looked at mine and shook his head handing me a pamphlet :sad:
I'd rather keep it all with one company :shucks:

It's State Farm...not Farmers. And they only do my valuables. Our homeowners is through another company as State Farm no longer writes homeowners policies in our state (Florida). Agree...I'd much prefer to be with one company too!

Oh no! Ouch! Not updating the valuation and having to do replacement only. I hope it doesn't hurt too badly. Maybe if you get a good jeweler, they can help you find a deal on your stone. Can you post a picture of the chip or is that not possible?

Ooops, misread insurance name!

here's mine. . . still head over heels over it :love:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php