Diamond band rework...

ame

O.G.
Mar 22, 2007
So I got my e-ring back today, and we discussed the options with the diamond band since I cannot wear it with the ering at all. We discussed filing some out, and resizing but he's not entirely sure the structure of this ring can handle that, as it's a low-set band. And I was a little concerned about that too, so I agreed that's really not the best plan. So we looked through books, through his stock, etc., and one of the bands in his case from Gottleib and Sons is perfect. It's not channel set but it's like...bead set or something. It has rounded shank other than at the top where the stones would be. We are probably going to use 9 or 10 of my stones and that way itll stop perfectly across my finger. The one he had was about 2mm wide as the stones were smaller, but it felt lovely, and won't stab the sides of my finger if I squeeze. He thinks he can get the blank fairly cheap, but if not, he'll do a custom on it for me. I think we're looking at about $1000 for this, which DH is NOT happy about but I didn't really plan for that either. But I don't want to have another item I cannot wear. We have some $300 Visa gift card that expires soon so I will maybe use that for part of it, plus any scrap value I get from the metal. Im seriously annoyed about how a spacer really won't solve the problem. I even tried it on with a 4mm band and it still was able to hit the head. It was for lack of a better word, pretty *f-bomb*-ing amazing how easily they hit each other!

So hopefully tomorrow I will have a price, and if I can get it done ASAP I will, since he will work with me on paying. We are WAY in the "hole" financially since Christmas, Dental Bills, procrastinated flight purchases and tires just ate a hole in our savings, so I am hopeful I can have it all paid in two months. I have to pay off my Christmas purchases first.

I can't seem to find a photo of this band though. Closest one I found is this:
http://www.solomonbrothers.com/jewelry_119076-1

I am excited and frustrated but Ill bet this will be a lot safer.

Why don't you just wear the two rings on either hand and save the money for now? I've been married 22+ year and have never had the urge to wear my rings on the same finger. For one thing, they're completely different in style. And for another, it seems to detract from each, in my opinion.

Is this something you would consider, or do they have to be worn as a set?

Unforunately, I cannot wear rings on my right hand for two reasons: I have a very big scar and it's mega uncomfortable to wear any rings other than on my thumb, and my ring size on my right hand is another full size up from my left. If it didn't rub I'd consider resizing it but the rubbing on my scar is beyond unpleasant.

I also am really not a fan of that look, to be honest.

This ring will go much better with the current stack, if for no other reason than the edges will be rounded like the other rings are and not totally straight around.

Your jeweller sounds like he can make this work for you. My anniversary ring is eye shaped, so nothing fits above or below it... I sold my original wedding and engagement rings ages ago, but even they didn't go together. And when I lived in Europe for a few years, I ended up wearing my wedding ring on my right hand, because that was the custom where I was and I just never bothered switching it back. So the diamond anniversary ring, a round diamond surrounded by calibre cut sapphires and surrounded by small diamonds, is on my left, and I switch up other rings on my right, depending on my mood.

Sorry about the scar and the resulting discomfort. I'm sure you'll end up with something you'll cherish forever!

I sure hope so! I think when this is all said and done I will be done with jewelry for a LONG time. I am so ready to move along in my life and tend to my house to sell it!

The scar is along the base of my middle finger, wrapping into the two fingers (ring and middle) and into my palm. I thought by now (it's like 6 years old now) it wouldn't be so tender but it still really is. I was warned about that but my other scars for far worse issues are LONG gone. Oh well. It's fine.

Oh ame, I'm so upset for you. This whole thing has been beyond crazy and what a way to ensure you're going to be stressed during the holidays. :sad: The new wedding band sounds beautiful and I love bead set diamonds (I have some on the shank of my engagement ring), for their antique look. Hopefully this new one will finally put an end to this whole saga for you!

Ame, I think this is a great solution.....especially since your E-ring is so beautiful.

Perhaps this new band is what you need to showcase your engagement ring........I think you just may fall in love with it ;)

I placed the order tonight and put down a down payment to start the CAD on this. It will be custom to be similar to the one in the case. I should come in right around 1,000 on this project. HOPEFULLY I get a cad via email by Friday but Im not holding my breath. I told him Christmas Proposals ***** this project, I don't want some kid being bumped.

^ looks very Novo-esque.

My own jeweller was telling me that when they begin making the shared settings 'teeny-tiny', the point is lost, kwim?

This will no doubt be a better solution. And I'm certain it will have that sparkle factor you're after

The original one had great sparkle. so I think with my stones itll be perfection. It looked REALLY good with my ering. I wish I had a better camera on my phone to snap a really good photo. I think I could skip the spacer, though I don't know if i would.

This band is so...different how the stones are set. I can't seem to find anything similar, I guess the closest is some kind of fishtail. It's pretty smooth all around, which is what I think will work best. For a lot of reasons. The sides of my Signed Pieces band were like..sticky outy. And that bothered me. They were winglike I think. And having exposed girdles was becoming a problem and not just with this other ring hitting them. If I hit the ring on anything it was a disaster. I have had to have stones replaced like 4 times already. I am really excited to see it. The profile will be PERFECT with my Vatche.