Deworming tablets for cats are not risk free

Juda

O.G.
Apr 23, 2009
I bought a new cat last week, a beautiful white Persian girl with copper eyes.

I took her to the vet for de-worming (she was on a raw meat diet, which I am not a big fan)
it was not my regular clinic
It has a very good reputation and is only 5 minutes by car from my house whereas my regular vet (who also happened to be out of town is 1 hour away)

Most people choose to de-worm their pets at home, I never thought anything could go wrong
The vet who gave her the de-worming tablet is also a vet who performs ops -not a vet assistant (by the way I wouldn't have objected)
Because I honestly believed that there is no risk whatsoever when de-worming your pets
so I didn't even object when she gave her the tablet before weighing her (which I noticed)

After few hours, I noticed that something is not right
She was very sleepy and unable to move/coordinate her back legs
it was heartbreaking to see her this way.

When I called the vet to tell her what happened.
She told me me that most probably the cat have fallen and that I should bring her the next day for x-ray
She was sure that the tablets have nothing to do with it

I started to worry that maybe the vet assistant twisted a leg when taking her out of the vet carrier ( new decision I am the only one who will take out/put back my cats in the carrier)

But it was obvious that her legs were not the only problem

She gave her an overdose and the poor baby was out of it.
I had to give her water by syringe (she was not interested in drinking) - as per my regular clinic recommendations
I waited impatiently for her to use the litter box and as a bonus she did both :nuts:

After few hours she was running and playing like crazy

Last edited:
Do you know which pill was used? I deworm every kitten and cat that comes into foster care and I have never had a problem no matter how small the cat. I might have to ask the vet some more questions. I'm glad your baby is feeling better.

yea it seems odd that your cat overdosed on one de-worming pill. My cat got one when he was a kitten the very day I picked him up to bring him home (so he was maybe 3-4 months?) and didn't have any side effects. hope they didn't accidentally give him a tranquilizer of some sort.

i'm sorry your cat went through that, it's hard to see them like that :sad: hope he feels better soon!

As a rule, dewormers are very safe...with the exception of the ivermectin family. This is the active ingredient in Heartgard. Overdoses of this drug can cause lethargy and neurologic signs...I wonder if this was the type of drug used?

The pill that she was given is "Propantel" but it is not the pill or the brand to blame.
She should have given her half a tablet (as per her weight)
Persians are very fluffy cats and they look heavier than they actually are
As I mentioned in my previous post, she gave her the pill before weighing her.

The only 3 cat breeders (that I know) choose not to de-worm.
They ask the vet to check for worms instead (small sample from the rectum)

She is doing great now, exploring the new house and making new friends :smile:

The pill that she was given is "Propantel" but it is not the pill or the brand to blame.
She should have given her half a tablet (as per her weight)
Persians are very fluffy cats and they look heavier than they actually are
As I mentioned in my previous post, she gave her the pill before weighing her.

The only 3 cat breeders (that I know) choose not to de-worm.
They ask the vet to check for worms instead (small sample from the rectum)

She is doing great now, exploring the new house and making new friends :smile:

They are Persian cat breeders (indoor cats)

That is very unfortunate! I am sorry you went through that experience. I always wonder what is and isn't necessary when it comes to vet treatments for indoor cats. What do your breeders do instead of deworm? I have a fluffy girl too who looks large but when you pick her up she feels so light. Cats should always be weighed first before given any kind of medication. A few pounds can make such a difference when it comes to cats.

glad your kitty is feeling better!
i have two long haired cats, which are VERY different in weight. one is 20 lbs and the other is probably 10 lbs. my family members always say "i can't tell them apart, they're both fat cats!" when the one is no where near being fat, she's just fluffy! she's so tiny.