Dewey the Library Cat -- and other Work Pets

Brooke11

polisher
Apr 13, 2008
I just finished reading Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World, by Vicki Myron and Bret Witter. It was such a touching story! Has anyone else here read it? I had never even heard about Dewey before I read the book, but it sounded like he was fairly well known. As a cat lover, I really enjoyed reading about Dewey's quirks, his routines, and his life living in an Iowa library. Here's a link to his photo -- he is too cute! http://spencerlibrary.com/deweybio.htm

The book got me wondering though, how often do you see animals in stores? I feel like it is so rare, but even as an adult, I get excited to see a cat or dog in a store. I recently visited an antique store in VA. When I walked in, there was a man talking to the store owner, and as I got further into the store, I saw a cat napping on a vintage table. A few minutes later, the man called for the cat, who came running, and he walked out with it. When I asked, the store owner explained that every single day, that cat walked from her home to the antique store, then spent her day greeting customers and napping on the antiques, and then his owner took her home -- every day for the past ten of so years! The antique store owner had even made the cat a webpage.

Slightly different, a friend of mine works in DC in a dog-friendly office -- employees are allowed to bring their pets to work (even though her line of work is related to politics, not animals). I think that is such a great idea.

Do you often see pets in stores you go into, or are you one of the lucky few who gets to bring your pet to work? I'd love to hear about it!

Brooke, I read Dewey's book and it was such a lovely story. I admit I even cried.
I have seen some dogs and cats at shops or factories. Hubby and I visit a lot of wineries around the country and there have been quite a few wineries where a cat greets you at the cellar door or is sitting on the counter.

Aww, that is so cute. Sad that someone dumped him off but at least they put him down the book return into a warm building.

You'll often find a resident cat at second hand bookstores here. There was a resident cat at one of the second hand CD shops as well but I don't know if it is still open. We have an area in our city that is made up of quaint little shops and some owners bring their dogs to work every day.

Necromancer -- I cried too! He really reminded me of a cat I grew up with who passed away a year ago very unexpectedly, so that added to the tear-jerk factor. But it was a very touching story. That's very interesting that there are cats at a lot of vineyards near you!

Bnjj -- I agree, it upset me to read that someone put him in the book slot as a kitten :sad: at least he was nursed back to health and lived a long, happy life. Sounds like you live in a very unique town! There are so few small shops left around here, although I remembered later today that the little organic cat and dog food store oftentimes has a cat or dog inside, depending on who is working and what pet they brought with them that day.

Many years ago I worked at a yacht club and we had a resident cat called CC (short for club cat of course!). He just wandered in one day and ended up living there for about 13 years. He had the run of the place and everyone loved him. Whoever was first in to open the office had the job of feeding him, but he also received lots of treats from the members as we had a restaurant there as well. He would quite often wander along the marina and jump onto members boats to say hello! During the cold weather, he would spend his days in the office and everyone got quite used to working with a cat on their lap!

I love resident critters, it makes for a lot of fun and something different. I'll have to read Dewey's book! There's a framing shop near here that had a resident kitty who recently passed away, and the owner also brings her 2 dogs to the shop. I've also been to a gardening shop with their 3 resident kitties, one of which just had a litter of kittens in a huge flowerpot.

PETA, yeah, those guys, are also down the street from me, and I hear the employees can bring their dogs and cats to work, they also have a dog park right out back for the dogs!

There is a greenhouse here as well that has a resident cat and dog.

There is a vet here who has a resident cat and his picture is on the wall behind the reception desk and his name plate says his name and "Head of Customer Relations".

Last edited:
I definitely need to read this book!! It sounds wonderful, and Dewey was so precious.

There are some pet food stores around here that have resident cats/dogs to greet the customers.

There is also a store called "Weldin's Wishes" in downtown Pittsburgh that had a kitty that lived there, (they might still) and also a locksmith in town that had a resident kitty. I thought that unusual for a city store....but adorable. I'm definitely more likely to buy from a cute pup or kitty!