Determining Authenticity for the novice.

lizziebell

Nov 20, 2006
Hi Everyone. I'm new to the forum, as of today. I'd really like to learn more about verifying the authenticity of my favorite designer handbags... Chanel.
Is there a Chanel registration website where one can check a serial number? What about reference material, either on the internet or books that can be readily obtained - any suggestions? I'd also like to become more familiar with the many different styles that have come out over the past 25 or 30 years. Where I live, in western Canada, there are very limited opportunities to shop for designer bags, particularly Chanel. For the best variety & latest styles I usually have to wait until I get to Las Vegas or L.A., which only happens 2 or 3 times per year. How I envy those of you who live there, or in New York, etc., where fabulous shopping is plentiful. Mind you, it's probably tougher to keep the ol' bank account healthy if you live in those cities - so much temptation - but I'd love to try!
Anyone who would like to share their vast knowledge about Chanel, please post your comments for me. Thanks!
icon7.gif
icon7.gif

Welcome!!!

Unfortunatly, you cannot match the hologram/serial number against a computer or pretty much anything, I really wish you could. I would have to say your best bet is to stick around, because there is a wealth of knowledge on the forum.

Also, if you do a search, there is a thread with Chanel tips that will give you some pretty good tips on what to look for in regards to authenticity, as well as a reference library that shows a variety of styles .

lizzie: i am in the same boat as you...Canada never seems to get anything and if Chanel Canada does, its in limited quantities and gone if you are not in the know when styles are coming out.

I have been getting bags shipped to me for the past 4 years. USPS and Fedex are your friend, UPS is NOT!! Shipping costs and duties are the pits, but its the price us northern belles have to pay to get the goods! Hopefully you are in Alberta, where tax is not so bad.

I feel your pain. I have been researching and buying Chanel handbags for years. It's only through my shopping that I have come to be able to identify a fake vs. the authentic. There is some good information in these forums and on the Ebay forums as well about authenticating Chanel handbags. Here is a link to a web site that has some identifying pictures that might be helpful to you as well.
http://www.luxurylizard.authentication-services.htm

Good luck in your search for Chanel. I have a "Chanel Sickness" as well. It's a beautiful thing. :smile: