Destined to be a Hobo.............

mdlcal28

O.G.
Feb 1, 2008
52 years old.....
Hobos became quite popular when I was a teenager....I have tried to carry small bags, satchels, clutch bags, but I find myself consistently going back to a hobo.
I have had RM MACS and never carried them. Always thought it would be appropriate for that "special occasion", but my lifestyle does not have them!
Plus I had trouble getting my long wallets in and out.
I have had RM MABS that I used for a while and then decided they were just too heavy and I wanted a wider mouth opening.
Right now I have a Longchamp Legende, which is a satchel, but can be shoulder carried....I like it, but its not as structured as I wanted (in the fact that I wanted a satchel). Its a very soft supple leather....I am carrying it now.
I also have a Tods Coated Canvas Sagomata for the summer..
I have carried Tods leather bags, even had 3 Bottegas, but they still didnt fill the bill..I have had Mulberry too.
Right now, I have an Elena Ghisellini Pebbled Leather bag, which is very similar to the Givenchy Pandora...its a great bag. She is a designer for Givenchy.
I also have 3 RM Nikkis and even though they are heavy, they are my go to bag....
I have discovered through a lot of trial and error that these are the things I DO NOT like about bags:

1) I am a one strapper. 2 straps or handles annoy me.
2) I am a hardware minimalist. The less the better.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me for the year? I almost bought a YSL Roady a couple of years ago, when I was buying all the Tods and BVs....I guess I should have and then I would be more satisfied and my bank account would be happier!

Any suggestions as to the direction I should look?

Last edited:
I think this would be that you can like: Furla Montmartre, Cindy, or Elisabeth; Biasia Calliope; price are between 200-300€. The more expensive models are Lancel Dalifun or Dalicious, both are made of monogram canvas or logo embossed leather, price are around 1200€, maybe plus; and French Flair, made of leather in many colors. Price around 500-700€.

Montmartre
706259.jpg

707054.jpg

704067.jpg

Cindy Hobo
700667.jpg

Elizabeth
700870.jpg

700863.jpg

For me, the hobo is very content specific, meaning one should carry only the barest essentials so that easy access on the go is crucial.

I also feel I'm destined for hobos but somehow I end up carrying everyone else's items when we're out and can never find my own items because they are crushed at the bottom of the bag. ugh.

We in the same age range and was going to suggest BV but you already have tried it... how about an LV Delightful? It seems to open up fairly wide. I know the wider the opening, the easier it is for me to find things. I find it hard to use long hobos with narrow openings. More shallow hobos are best. My sister has a Prada Antik Cervo hobo that is to die for. It is a brown deerskin of the most supple nature. It stretches every which way and what a beauty!

I was a Balenciaga Day fan for years. But it might have too much hardware detail for you.

I found the Roady--while very chic-- heavy and uncomfortable. The strap dug into my shoulder. I suggest passing on that one.

Hobo lovers united!

49 Sq mi ... http://www.49sqmi.com - I was a Starlet woman shortly before BV. 49 Sq Mi has other great hobo styles as well.

Hmmm... The BV Cervo hobo is my hobo of choice, but you've apparently lost your love for BV...

I find the 49 Sq Mi bags to be heavy. Sturdy, soft, and well-made, but heavy.

My favorite bag of all time is the BV cervo hobo, especially in the older softer leather.

I found the Roady--while very chic-- heavy and uncomfortable. The strap dug into my shoulder. I suggest passing on that one.

ITA. I cannot stand the hard rounded strap on the Roady and on the LV Artsy.

For me, the hobo is very content specific, meaning one should carry only the barest essentials so that easy access on the go is crucial.

Huh, I carry a ton in my hobo bags. Maybe the difference is that mine have pockets inside, and I don't mind using pouches to organize my small items.