Designing my master closet--more folding or hanging??

leem

O.G.
Dec 18, 2006
I am in the process of designing the master closet for our new construction. It isn't a huge space, but not bad. Any suggestions?

I am struggling with how much to devote to hanging space as opposed to shoes and folding space. I fold my jeans, shorts, sweaters and t-shirts now. But, with more space, I could hang jeans and t-shirts. I would love to hear your thoughts/opinions/advice.

Here is one idea I like:

http://d30opm7hsgivgh.cloudfront.net/upload/86967707_aW9eduuZ_c.jpg

I think you should continue to fold jeans and tees. They can take up precious space for things that require hanging such as dresses, skirts, jackets, etc.

I would hang tees but not jeans or sweaters. Not sure about the one in your link, where would you hang dresses?

i am very bad at remembering what i have...so i have to see to be able to know what i have. and i hang my tees...i also hang my jeans for the ones i wear on a regular basis.
i don't hang sweaters simply b/c i don't want to ruin them....

I vote for more hanging space. I just finished organizing my closet and hung up all my jeans on hangers. I forgot I even had certain pairs until I hung them up. They had sat at the bottom or middle of the folded pile of jeans before.

More hanging! I go absolutely nuts with folded clothes, they get all wrinkled and the piles get all messy, so frustrating. I would devote the folding space to jeans, shorts, leggings(bottoms in general) and the hanging space can go to all your tops, jackets, and dresses

I really prefer to hang as much as possible for reasons others have mentioned: It enables me to see what I have, I can't fold to save my life, and when I pull out an item from the bottom of a folded stack, it jacks everything else and I have to fix it. Frustrating!

I am a visual person...so I hang almost everything including jeans & t shirts (and yes I hate wrinkled cloths). I fold all my cashmere & wool sweaters keep them in the drawers... (well, love to put them out where I can see.. but currently running out of closet spaces!!).

More hanging room! I just moved into a new place with two closets... I hung all my shirts/tanks/scarves in one and all my jeans, coats, and dresses in the other.

Folding gets so messy, the only thing I like folding are my fitted layering tanks/tees and exercise exercise clothes.

I'm in agreement with anyone who said More hanging!

I find if I fold anything it doesn't get used, I hang ocd style. Dresses together but arranged by length and colour, trousers/jeans arranged, tops arranged by style and colour etc...

If you can see what you have you will make more use of it