Designers you "discovered" and are now HUGE

katran26

Bargain Hunter!
O.G.
Aug 25, 2008
I thought this would be a fun thread; has there ever been a designer you liked who wasn't big yet- someone whose career and designs you followed years before they became "hot"?

For me it's Mary Katrantzou- I first took notice years ago because her prints were sooooo unique. Now, of course, she's in London Fashion week and sold everywhere...

Just some of her gorgeous designs:

ImageUploadedByPurseForum1405367016.688357.jpg

Is there anyone you've been obsessed with for a while?

I'm not sure if this is the same as they are not necessarily a designer but instead a store and it was for the worse, but the White House/ Black Market was founded and started in my hometown of Annapolis, MD. They had 1 store and everything was always shades of white only (unlike now!) and their fabrics were very high quality stuff! Everything was just so luxurious and worth the premium prices.

Once they became big and wound up in every mall, the quality went downhill fast. They changed their store model a bit so now the add in colors for the seasons and they started cheapening their fabrics and quality of the clothing and lowering costs for the mainstream. Every once in a while I can still find something in there that I like, but otherwise, in this case, when the store/ designer went big, they really bottomed out for the worse!

I'm not sure if this is the same as they are not necessarily a designer but instead a store and it was for the worse, but the White House/ Black Market was founded and started in my hometown of Annapolis, MD. They had 1 store and everything was always shades of white only (unlike now!) and their fabrics were very high quality stuff! Everything was just so luxurious and worth the premium prices.

Once they became big and wound up in every mall, the quality went downhill fast. They changed their store model a bit so now the add in colors for the seasons and they started cheapening their fabrics and quality of the clothing and lowering costs for the mainstream. Every once in a while I can still find something in there that I like, but otherwise, in this case, when the store/ designer went big, they really bottomed out for the worse!

I really didn't know that about White House / Black Market...it's sad how small labels sometimes get really big and then the quality suffers.

for me its Rag & Bone i bought my first piece from them(wool blazer) about 6-7 years ago and the brand def wasnt that popular back then as it is now..

It's HUGE now...everywhere I look I see Rag & Bone (magazines, popular online stores). The items are definitely well made and have a great aesthetic.

It's HUGE now...everywhere I look I see Rag & Bone (magazines, popular online stores). The items are definitely well made and have a great aesthetic.
i completely agree they have become very popular.. when i purchased my 1st piece i had never even heard of them but i did like their clothing bc it was made out of pure wool/cashmere or cotton and i mainly stick to only those fabrics my blazer was 90%wool and 10%cashmere..

YES! I remember first buying MAC when it was sold at only one Bay store downtown Toronto in the basement! lol
I was thinking when I would go the MAC College St store, it hadn't yet made it to The Bay! (Which we're calling Hudson's Bay again, but whatever… lol)

I thought this would be a fun thread; has there ever been a designer you liked who wasn't big yet- someone whose career and designs you followed years before they became "hot"?

For me it's Mary Katrantzou- I first took notice years ago because her prints were sooooo unique. Now, of course, she's in London Fashion week and sold everywhere...

Just some of her gorgeous designs:

View attachment 2686263

Is there anyone you've been obsessed with for a while?

I totally agree with you. I bought a few of her pieces about 4 years ago and continue to buy her clothes but now they are so expensive and everyone knows who she is.