Designer SLG's - Worth it? Not Worth it?

Mar 15, 2011
Currently I am considering purchasing a medium-sized wallet from Chanel, but it is $1000. I would use it, but I certainly don't need it. I can't decide if it is worth it. Chanel prices just keep going up, but for $1000 I could buy a small handbag from Prada, Chloe, etc. Is it worth it?

Beyond my predicament, even spending $500 (which I have done) on a small wallet or coin purse that no one will see feels a little silly, but at the same time they are so adorable! Do you find it is worth it to spend hundreds, if not thousands, on something that bangs around in your bag? Do you justify it by cost per wear? Do you stick with less expensive contemporary brands for SLGs instead?

I passed on chanel wallets.
Though usually buy to match each bag.
Just use another brand in my 2.55.

Often buy makeup pouch or small case, also.
All same brand/color/material as bag.

Feels worth it to me.
Feels luxurious & special. Which I consider point of such purchases.
But am not buying new handbags every week, either.;)

Reactions: Sapphirequeen
i stick to contemporary brands or lower priced chanel/lv stuff, like the o-case or cles. i wouldn't drop 1K on a wallet or slg. they are nice to touch but considering they get wear/tear faster it's not very practical to spend too much on them. they get significant corner wear and color transfer.

A few years ago, I would have answered differently. I now only purchase designer SLG's. Why? They get the most use and I have them forever whereas bags I tend to switch out/resell. I have a Hermes wallet that cost an obscene amount. Yes it has wear and tear, but I use it every day and every time I take it out of my bag, I smile.

Some SLGs I have are premier designer but most are designer. I love my MBMJ key case. It's patent green snake embossed and so durable. Gets a lot of use and I don't have to worry about it. My favorite current wallet is a preloved Chanel metallic goatskin wallet. I didn't pay but a fraction for it and I've loved how it's worn.

That said, most of my designer SLGs are easily cleaned. I had a lip crayon come uncapped in my Marc Jacobs makeup pouch. Fabric lining but fuchsia was a little un-fun to clean out!

For things that I pull in and out of bags every day, I want to make sure they'll last. Or are, at the very least, repairable. My mom has a Cerises zip wallet from LV that she used for years. I surprised her by getting the edges reglazed and aside from wear on the print she said it looks brand new.

I think the are worth SOME price - my choice is preloved. You get better pricing and with many brands, the products really don't age at all so you might get a pristine SLG for a fraction of the price of a new one.
I have a preloved Chanel SLG. I love it. It is one of the best purchases I have made. When I pick it up, it feels like quality. I carried a Coach saffiano wallet for 4 years and it still looks new. If I had spent $1000 on a wallet and it didn't wear well, I would be upset. I don't change my SLGs much so I get much more use out of them than a bag, since I have so many of those. That kind of justifies spending more on SLGs.

I just unpacked my bag, and took a picture, and it makes me happy to see all my nice SLGs / accessories. To me it’s worth it :love:

And another picture of a different look from a few months ago. Pinks :heart: SLGs make my matchy matchy soul happier than just the bag alone could do :facepalm::blush:

Attachments

• 7EE8D2E2-1506-4A5B-875A-C2B555C58DB7.jpeg
    7EE8D2E2-1506-4A5B-875A-C2B555C58DB7.jpeg
    271 KB · Views: 1,038
  • 41C045EC-10FE-41D2-BC34-22CF158FD14D.jpeg
    41C045EC-10FE-41D2-BC34-22CF158FD14D.jpeg
    226 KB · Views: 1,052
I can see both sides of it. It might be worth it in the sense it's something you likely use everyday, whereas a purse you likely have multiples and change between them. It might not be worth it in the sense that SLG take a beating with heavy use and things bumping into them daily, might not look nice for long. Personally I would avoid soft leather for SLG. The only SLG I use is my wallet, it's a large Hobo wallet which can hold all of my small loose things, makes changing bags very easy. These come in all sorts of materials, mine is patent and still looks perfect after 5 years of daily use. However, I know others with this wallet in soft leather and they have been through many of them because of wear and tear. The only downside is it doesn't fit in a couple of my smaller purses, for those I either put a couple cards in the purse's slot pocket or I have a couple cardholders Nordstrom gave me as a free gift last year.

I think only you answer that question for yourself, eg watch lovers would say the price of watches are worth it even though they’re just tiny arm candy.

Personally I draw the line at not spending $$$$ on Hermes slgs but with chanel, some of them has potential good resale values. Please note that once you use designer wallets it’s hard to go back, you will notice the difference in leather , the stitchings and the “feel good” factor whenever you will wipe it out.

I discovered that I’m not a big fan of slgs other than wallets,so I would happily use whatever Dior/chanel cosmetic bags that comes as a gift other than spending it on a mini pochette but my wallet has and will always be designer usually LV/Chanel

Yes I do think they’re worth it - they’re made of gorgeous leathers and other materials and usually have extra details that non designer ones don’t have.

I am an slg addict and have so many that I can’t use them all. Have downsized a few but every time I try to make two piles, sell and keep, I end up with nothing in the sell lol.

I agree with the other poster, once you have designer pieces there’s no going back.

Currently I am considering purchasing a medium-sized wallet from Chanel, but it is $1000. I would use it, but I certainly don't need it. I can't decide if it is worth it. Chanel prices just keep going up, but for $1000 I could buy a small handbag from Prada, Chloe, etc. Is it worth it?

Beyond my predicament, even spending $500 (which I have done) on a small wallet or coin purse that no one will see feels a little silly, but at the same time they are so adorable! Do you find it is worth it to spend hundreds, if not thousands, on something that bangs around in your bag? Do you justify it by cost per wear? Do you stick with less expensive contemporary brands for SLGs instead?
Think about it: the newest phones are the same price and only last 2 years. Go for it!