Designer purses from the Bahamas

pursefan06

MC LOVER!!
O.G.
Feb 28, 2007
Hi everyone,

I have a friend who went on a cruise to the Bahamas and she came back with a Prada bag and matching wallet that she got in the Straw Market area. Has anyone gotten bags from the Bahamas? Are they real? Should I tell my friend it may be fake?:confused1:

I have heard two different sides about this.

One one hand I have heard that the items are real, but for some reason can be bought much cheaper there.

On the other hand, I have heard that those items are just regular fakes.
I don't know.

I would be surprised to find authentic items in the Straw Market on Nassau. I have comparison shopped Gucci,David Yurman,Rolex and Chanel cosmetics in the Bahamas at a reputable store called John Bull. The handbags seemed about 10%-15% cheaper.The jewelry was discounted deeper.

Hi everyone,

I have a friend who went on a cruise to the Bahamas and she came back with a Prada bag and matching wallet that she got in the Straw Market area. Has anyone gotten bags from the Bahamas? Are they real? Should I tell my friend it may be fake?:confused1:

Did she go to Nassau? I was there in December & went to the straw market. Nothing but fakes, I was disgusted. Rows & rows of thousands of fake bags & "rolexes" everywhere. It's quite obvious they were fakes.. people haggling for a $50 "fendi" spy bag in big open metal buildings. All right down by the docks where the cruise ships pull in. What also irked me is there were actual stores down the streets inland that were selling nothing but fakes. "Nassau Purses" was one store I remember.

There were a few legitimate shops though~ Fendi & Bally had boutiques downtown. There was also a nice dept. store with an impressive collection of Rolexes & other high end items. Never saw any authentic Prada's though. If she says she bought it at the straw market then it's fake, I guarantee. I can't imagine anyone paying $50 for a Prada bag & thinking it's authentic anyway.

Thanks for the info! I'm going to Bahamas at the end of April, so I'll make sure to stay away from Straw market. So Samantha, John Bull definitely sells authentic stuff? I want to check it out.

John Bull is definitely authentic.There is a store in Nassau and also in Atlantis on Paradise Island. Nassau is bigger.It is IMO the best place to shop for luxury goods in the Bahamas.I love the Bahamas.Have a great trip!

Yes she definitely went to Nassau. I have been there myself about 2 years ago and all of the bags looked fake to me too. I casually mentioned to her that I saw a bunch of fake LV. I will definitely tell her about the Prada.

I bought a Gucci bag at the Gucci store in Nassau (not the atlantis one, the one near john bull) so I'm assuming mine was authentic but I will say I couldn't find the style on any of Gucci's websites. I bought a canvas bag with turq leather trim but there were some leather bags on sale that I wish I'd snapped up.