designer let-downs...pricey bags that fell apart!

I think the high-end designer bags should have outstanding quality. Sadly, some don't. I had to return a Chloe bag that had uneven stitching, and a Dior where the buckle prong was backwards. My Chloe Edith arrived with a black mark on the handle from the stuff they use to finish the edges of the leather, and I don't buy Chloe anymore (although the bag seems fine otherwise). My Coach bags are still in perfect condition except for a white suede bag that got dirty and when I asked my local Coach store (which is NOT where I purchased the bag) about the best way to clean it they offered to pay to have it professionally cleaned. That's good service! I do expect the more expensive bags to have better leathers, better quality, and not fall apart.

I bought a MJ quilted MP and had to send the bag in for repairs b/c the stitching was coming undone. I'm still waiting for it to be returned to me. I took it in Sep 5th.
You need to get in there and start making some noise! I can't believe it's taking this long....

In a day and age where prices are going up, why is quality going down? I've been hearing a lot of complaints lately about the newer MJ bags, esp new releases. I wonder if it's like a car, maybe it takes a few tries before they get everything right?

I used to get angry too when it happened. The only reason I can think of is hand made bags and the materials they use are often delicate. I do ask myself why I pay so much to put in double or triple the amount of effort to care for it.

hi everyone! thanks for responding! i am very sorry to hear about those of you that had bags falling apart which didn't get replaced or at least not soon enough. I know sometimes you can be as careful as possible but if you are unlucky to get one that is just meant to be messed up then it can be very frustrating. Hopefully this forum can help us learn which bags are known for what defects so we can all be more cautious with our future purchases. :smile:

The best bags for the money for me seem to be coach bags. My mom has some heavily used old ones that have held up really well. My favorite bag is a signature coach east/west soft duffle that I've used constantly for over a year, holding up great it looks broken in but not at all like it has been heavily used-and it has. The only thing us on the leather zipper tab between the ring and the zipper itself some of the leather has pulled away from the rubbery/sealer stuff from me pulling on it all the time, but the stitching there is still holding up great. It has been thrown around, smooshed in a suitcase, and drenched on more than one occassion. My hamptons signature checkbook wallet is about as old and holding up great too, all the stitching is still tight surprisingly. It is overloaded with cards and change too. The only item that is not holding up well is a prada makeup bag I use everyday, about 8 months old. Love it but the stitching is starting to come out.

The zipper pull on the interior pocket on my gucci scarf bag has fallen off a couple of times, and of course, that's annoying considering I paid lots of money for it, but it doesn't really bother me that much.

Never had a problem with my Dior and Gucci stuff but with ALL of my LV's I had problems. I would never buy LV again, damn I paid 2000$ for a purse and it's the third time I have to send it for repairs. I don't get it, i'm sure Wal Mart purses are made better than this (not that I would know !). I am considering getting a Kooba bag, they are really cute, I hope there is no problem with it.

Wow, so the winner is Coach, huh? Awesome. In my experiences, I've had practically no problems with my bags, but they've mostly been like 90% Coach or something like that, anyway. I love Coach, and was starting to feel like, well I have a Marc Jacobs and a Paddington waiting at home, so my Coaches don't seem as good, but I guess that's not a correct way to feel!

One problem I had is MOLD growing on a Gucci!!! Tomorrow night I'm trying to remove it with a blow dryer and a cloth and I'll let the thread readers know how that goes. I've never thought that Gucci was worth more money than Coach, and I stand by that after this thread.

I'm surprised by Louis Vuitton!

And I'm saddened and worried about my new Marc Jacobs. I love it (- Love it - LOOOOOOOOOVE IT!), but I hope not to death or pieces!!! ;)

Prada nylon bags...I have two of them (both authentic) which I use a lot and the stitching on the inside and outside of the bag always gets unraveled. One of these bags is a tote, where the beautiful jacquard lining ripped. My other one is a messenger bag, where the stitching of the flap started to unravel due to repeated opening and closing...I brought it to the Prada store while I was in Italy (in Rome, no less) to ask if it could get repaired there while I was on vacation, and the sales rep had the nerve to ask me if it was real!! That really pissed me off, and I am not going to buy another Prada bag, ever...

well, at least the nylon ones :P...but seriously, I would think twice before buying another prada

none of my designer bags have had issues with them yet..... so knock on wood that everything will be alright...so far though, I believe that my Hermes bags are the best made in comparison to my other bags (Chloe, gucci, prada, MJ, Chanel, etc)..

This might be horrid to say but I have so many bags and buy new ones all the time, my bags never get enough use to fall apart. I was saddened to give a Dooney to my GF and hear that the stitching on the handles all came undone within a week or so. None of my Koobas have failed me and I use them the most. Botkier has proved to be pretty quality stuff along with Grysons. They have some of the sturdiest zippers I've seen. I'm new to my 2 Balenciagas and I so hope that the gorgeous gorgeous leather will not prove to be fragile.