'Designer Inspired' Bags: Your opinion

What is your opinion on 'designer inspired' bags?

• They cheapen the value of the real bags people buy

• They are a good way for people who cannot afford authentic bags to keep up with trends

Results are only viewable after voting.
I do not consider those bags "inspired." Just because they don't have "Chloe" stamped in tiny letters on the hardware doesn't mean people would not recognize them (at a casual glance) as "Chloe." If you are going to copy the color, size, lines, overall design right down to the detail but leave out the designer name, in my opinion that is still a fake. Designers like Balenciaga and Bottega Veneta pride themselves on NO LOGOS. Just because the "inspired" bag also has no logo does not make it an "inspired" piece. IF IT LOOKS LIKE A COPY, IT IS A FAKE.

This is my opinion.

For a piece to be inspired it cannot be a DELIBERATE copy. It can have elements of the original piece (like tassles like mimick the original, or similar hardware, etc.) but it cannot look exactly like it. In fact, I don't think it should have that many similar elements if it wants to be considered an "original" piece of its own. A legitate inspired piece should still be an "original" piece in my opinion, it is NOT a copy.

Inspiration does not equal copy!

(I know the law does not totally agree with this opinion, but just because the nitpicky details of a law makes certain allowances does not make it morally correct; the reverse is also true, a law can also be morally incorrect. A law is a rule that is trying to, but does not always, encompass certain societal, ethical, personal standards. But morals cannot be so easily and fully contained by a law. Yes, I believe the counterfeit/inspired debate is a moral issue. It is an issue of theft and intellectual property.)
Thank you sonja, very well said! I completely agree with your post.

I just think, why can't they create their own original styles? I mean why rip off other styles...

I mean whne you get clothes that are couture inspired on the highstreet, they are not the same. As in, if plaid is in on the catwalk you get several items in the highstreet in plaid as well..just not the exact thing. Infact direct plagarism in clothes is illegal. therefore when the highstreet versions of the galaxy dress came out, they had to make minor changes.

Even so, why create a bag that is identical other than the logo on the inside. Inspired means the designer takes inspiration from the original and makes their own version. Its just really wrong to me.

I'm an mono LV girl and to tell the truth there are some LV styles/ lines that I am not familiar with, because they are not my "thing".

I wouldn't know a Chloe bag or some of the other brands if they bit me on my a$$. So, to look at the photos in the top thread, I could not tell you what is real, designer inspired, poor fake or mirror fake. But, if you want to get into the logistics of "inspired"....Marc Jacobs own line of purses as of late are replicating some of the LV lines that he has designed. Isn't that a conflict of interest?

I agree that the bags listed are copies. There isn't just an element or two inspired by a designer - the whole thing is! When bags mimic similar lines, or use a lot of hardware when that is popular, then those are inspired bags. When a person could mistake them for the original, the line is crossed.

Much like clothing, there are only so many shapes a bag can take. Certain shapes are more popular certain years, just as brass, gold and silver hardware switch off in popularity. But when the size, shape and hardware remarkably correspond to a popular designer bag, it counts as a fake to me.

I'm an mono LV girl and to tell the truth there are some LV styles/ lines that I am not familiar with, because they are not my "thing".

I wouldn't know a Chloe bag or some of the other brands if they bit me on my a$$. So, to look at the photos in the top thread, I could not tell you what is real, designer inspired, poor fake or mirror fake. But, if you want to get into the logistics of "inspired"....Marc Jacobs own line of purses as of late are replicating some of the LV lines that he has designed. Isn't that a conflict of interest?

I know what you mean. Many of my friends have inspired bags, but they think the bags are original, so I wouldn't say they're doing anything wrong because it's not their fault that they don't know. *shrugs* :sweatdrop:

I agree, these look like knock offs, they're not simply inspired IMMO.
Inspired means more differences than just lacking the logo IMO.
These specific bags are unethical *IMO* but some inspired isn't so close to the real deal and those don't bother me as bad as these.

I removed the link so as not to advertise for that website ;)

Personally I see little difference between "inspired by" and FAKE. These bags are the reason so many of us who carry the real deal get the raised eyebrow, the snicker, the pointed finger, which angers us so.

I said this in a separate thread and people disagreed, but I don't see a big difference between inspired and fake.

Me neither! The green bag looks EXACTLY like the Chloe Paddington, almost as if it were meant to trick people into believing that it actually is. I think that these "inspired" bags should be copyright infringements because they are essentially stolen designs (no profits are paid to the original designer).