'Designer Inspired' Bags: Your opinion

What is your opinion on 'designer inspired' bags?

• They cheapen the value of the real bags people buy

• They are a good way for people who cannot afford authentic bags to keep up with trends

Results are only viewable after voting.
lordguinny said:
There is a difference between knock-offs and "inspired" bags. Let's make it clear:

Knock-offs try to say they are the real thing. They go out of their way to stamp the designer's name all over the purse. They even try to match the tags/fonts/prings. That is just wrong and people who carry those bags are posers. I HATE fakes!

"inspired" purses are bags that share the shape or model of a designer bag but in noway do they claim to be LV, Gucci, etc. It is a good alternative for those who want the shape/model of a certain bag but don't want to resort to straight knock-offs. There is nothing wrong with that.

Besides....designers mimic each other all the time! Who do you think came out with the all over designer initial monogramming on purses? GG's, LV's, CG's...even D&B's. Would you call that knocking off? The MJ Denim bag looks just like the LV Manhattan PM! Is that a knock off? There are just too many limited possible shapes/colors a bag can have and to say that a designer has exclusive rights over that shape is silly.

Exactly what I think.

lordguinny said:
There is a difference between knock-offs and "inspired" bags. Let's make it clear:

Knock-offs try to say they are the real thing. They go out of their way to stamp the designer's name all over the purse. They even try to match the tags/fonts/prings. That is just wrong and people who carry those bags are posers. I HATE fakes!

"inspired" purses are bags that share the shape or model of a designer bag but in noway do they claim to be LV, Gucci, etc. It is a good alternative for those who want the shape/model of a certain bag but don't want to resort to straight knock-offs. There is nothing wrong with that.

Besides....designers mimic each other all the time! Who do you think came out with the all over designer initial monogramming on purses? GG's, LV's, CG's...even D&B's. Would you call that knocking off? The MJ Denim bag looks just like the LV Manhattan PM! Is that a knock off? There are just too many limited possible shapes/colors a bag can have and to say that a designer has exclusive rights over that shape is silly.

I also agree wholeheartedly! I bought a black Nine West bag a few years ago with a big silver buckle on it that I knew full well was inspired by a similar Prada design. But it was trendy and I didn't want to spend beaucoup $$ on the Prada. Did it hold up OK? Well, yes, but I didn't expect it to last forever. I would never buy a fake.

I would never buy a fake either. I'm not against buying cheap bags, it's just that I don't want my bag trying to be something that it isn't, I want it to be itself (if that makes sense)

I own an LV speedy and would love to be able to purchase a real Muse but it will never happen (unless I win the Lotto!). I don't feel there is anything wrong with purchasing a good quality inspired bag if I can get the same look and decent quality, but I would never buy a replica just to be able to say I own a Muse. Here I come TJ Maxx!:P

I don't really think they cheapen the designer brand, but they DO cheapen themselves by not being remotely original. Granted, there's not a lot that's original in the handbag world as they all require the same basic things, and certain styles will be repeated over and over again for centuries to come, but using LV's colors, for example, is just tacky.

Fakes are disgusting and illegal. But inspired bags are okay by me. I even own a leather Besso motorcycle bag that looks a helluva lot like my bbags. I bought the Besso before I had the nerve to go all the way and buy a $1000+ bag. The Besso is very nice actually, good leather and quality materials. But it is NOT a bbag by any means.

Ok..I think "designer inspired" and "fake" are two different categories. I am completely, 100% against the ones that use actual company logos and designer names on the bags when they are NOT made by that designer. This includes those "A+++++ replicas."
However, if they are simply using the same STYLE, for example, a quilted bag withOUT the Chanel logos, then that's not a problem for me.
To me, people buy the fakes with the logos because they want it to look like they have the real thing.
When you get something that's just in the same style minus the logos, it's more because you like how it looks and the design, etc, not because you're trying to show off your logos.

hi. im new to this forum so forgive me if this has already been discussed but i wanted to hear everyones take on "inspired by" bags.

i have read a lot of opinions about flat out fakes- replicas that have brandings,markings and whatnot. that boast to be the real thing.

but how do you all feel about bags that major stores sell (without any claim to the original designers)??

like this bag from fredflare.com

http://fredflare.com/customer/product.php?productid=2288&cat=108

or theses from urban outfitters

yves saint laurent
marc
and
bottega veneta

like somehow it is better to buy a bag that is a knockoff but obvisously so?

Attachments

• p250076.jpg
    p250076.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 130
  • p250064.jpg
    p250064.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 118
  • p207918b.jpg
    p207918b.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 114
Everyone can't afford designer handbags. It's not wrong to want to enjoy some of the designer looks nor a right reserved for those with substantial funds. It is illegal to by 'fake' bags but 'inpired' handbags make no claim to be the 'real' thing and does not contribite to the criminal element that fake handbags do. Good design should be able to be enjoyed by all. One should, however, stay clear of the fake, illegal market including a lot of the bags sold at 'purse parties' etc. Just my opinion.....

agreed.

it's just interesting.

im asking because i feel sort of weird about inspired bags.

last winter i was able to purchase a stam bag with xmas moneys and savings in advance.

i loved it- however, living in brooklyn, riding the trains everyday and being a regular gal, i felt really nervous about always having that much of a money investment on my arm. i was worried of people knocking into me on the street. i also felt like everyone was staring at me. and i didnt enjoy the attention.

this was my first major bag purchase and i couldnt handle it- so i sold it.

but a year later i still miss it and love the stam bag design.

i don't want to buy a high priced fake that mirrors it, besides legal and moral issues, i would feel like a fake myself.

and then i saw this bag. and then the more and more i looked i noticed how many popular bags are copied without the name or key details and are sold to a young market.

thanks for all the opinioins.

uggg. but sometimes they have the same shape and size and color and logo.... once i saw a designer inspired "speedy" it was exactly the shape of a speedy 35, brown, same textured look, but random letters.... at first when i saw it from an angle, i thought it was real, but then..... uh...