Designer discount clothing-buying smart

cakegirl

O.G.
Jan 3, 2008
There is a store in my area that has discounted previous season clothing-a mix of contemporary, casual and denim brands and very high end designer. I haven't shopped there much and usually am not great at shopping at stores like that.
Today I found an amazing designer cocktail dress with the original tags-for 10% of the original price. I try to buy smartly but I am at a loss about this. The dress is pretty incredible and looked great on. It would need one alteration. It is a dramatic style and not a "practical" purchase, but also a showstopper.

Help- what do I do? Advice please!

Julide

Ahh Money Penny...
O.G.
Aug 23, 2007
I have written three responses to your conundrum. I think it depends on you, if you think it can work in your wardrobe or if you love it so much that you can just admiring it in your closet (I have one like this) then go for it. A show stopper is a hard one to decide on. Good luck!:flowers:

all7s

Apr 5, 2014
I would have to ask myself if it is something that I would have occasion to wear within 9 months, how easy would it be to get it tailored, and would I have trouble finding another dress that fit as nice as this dress?

Or in the alternative, is the price cheap enough that you dont mind if you never wear it? :biggrin:

cakegirl

O.G.
Jan 3, 2008
I think the alteration would be fairly simple - the dress has a low back and it is loose where the fabric starts- it would need to be taken in at the low back and down a bit.
I don't buy things just to have them sit in my closet so I wouldn't buy it just to look at. I think one thing that gives me pause is that it is ivory- I love whites and ivories but I couldn't wear it to a wedding. Is it ok to wear an ivory colored cocktail dress in the fall and winter? That's when most events seem to be.

flowerboy

O.G.
Jan 30, 2007
My rule of thumb for special purchases is I would have to wear it at least 4 times and then give to someone else to wear at least once. I basically have 4 different friend circles and don't want to wear the same dress twice in one circle but need to wear it more than four times to feel I got my moneys worth. It sucks but its true about me.

all7s

Apr 5, 2014
I think white/ivory is definitely beautiful for winter events!

Overall, I couldnt say how smart a buy a white dress would be. I dont wear a lot of white so it wouldnt get a lot of play in my closet.

elizabethtwrs

Nov 27, 2013
I would get it! Nina Garcia says that we should all have one knockout statement dress. If you've found it, and at a great price to boot, it would be much better than scrambling when you actually need the dress and settling for something else. Mine is a gorgeous kenzo dress I got at a sample sale for 70% off, but even then it was still a lot of money. But no regrets, everytime I wear I to get loads of compliments.

I think ivory is fine to wear year round, you could always "winterize" the accessories. E.g wearing tights, velvet pumps, jewel toned accessories, you get the drift

cakegirl

O.G.
Jan 3, 2008
I missed out! When i went back it had just sold I guess I learned my lesson in designer discount- buy it right away!!

I did find a great store that I will frequent for bargains and hopefully there will be another amazing piece one day.

shoppinggalnyc

Till I drop...
Nov 16, 2012
Too bad you missed it. My rule is that if you can't leave it - it's meant to be yours. You left it...there will be others you can't walk away from :smile: