Designer/Brand or Style?

tiggycat

Jul 29, 2009
Which makes the difference to you?

My absolutely favourite bag in my collection is a Kate Spade Tina I bought at Winners. Sadly it's a bit too small for what I normally need to carry.

So I thought I would like a larger KS - but I've been looking in Winners and in resale shops (I don't object to paying FP for the right bag, but I don't know where to get them in Toronto - please help me if you know).

I've seen dozens and didn't like any of them!

I also have a few Coach and like them, but have found that probably 90% of Coach 'aren't my bag' as we said when I was a teenager.

So would you buy anything that was by 'XYZ' or would you only buy a certain style regardless of brand?

I buy style first and then pay attention to brand. For all I know the brand could become up and coming and famous. It's always leather and quality and style for me regardless of who made it! Also designer name doesn't always = quality.

I tend to sort of know what to expect from certain designers and go from there. I know Ill always like BV and Chloe for example, whereas another brand I may not care for their particular aesthetic. I just go from there, because I know what to expect from the handful of brands I love.

I am wiling to try anything if it's well-made, aesthetically pleasing, within my budget and fits a specific need in my handbag collection (i.e., it's the perfect black shoulder bag that I was seeking). That said, I still tend to gravitate towards certain designers because I have liked their work in the past and/or already have another item from them that I love. I will also purposely not buy from certain brands or designers for the opposite reason - I've had a negative experience with a purchase from them in the past or read lots of disturbing feedback about a certain brand on TPF, etc.

In sum: I am very loyal to a handful of designers but not so much so that I am blind to anything else that catches my eye. ;)

I buy style first and then pay attention to brand. For all I know the brand could become up and coming and famous. It's always leather and quality and style for me regardless of who made it! Also designer name doesn't always = quality.

ITA! But I do pay attention to the designer/brand as well, as some brands are notorious when it comes to bad quality. I also tend to avoid bags with too noticable logos or it-bag vibes.