Designer bag collection - to curate or not?

Thanks hun! Your niece is very lucky to be gifted with one of your bags. I have also gifted around 15 of my bags to my sisters and nieces but those are just contemporary brands. Maybe someday, I can give them the luxury ones when they get older, say 25 yo..

Maybe i was just hanging with the wrong crowd..lol.. I don’t think I’m ready to be minimalist any time soon, not when it comes to bags anyway..
Thank YOU!

20 bags around PF is still pretty minimalist lol!xxx

To answer your question, I will sell the following:
1. Ysl puffer bag - pillowy bag will go out of style one day
2. Either the ysl or mini lou camera bag - because they are the se color and almost the same size.
3. Either the alma bb epi or aa bb DE - because it’s the same shape and size
4. Gucci bag - i can use the boy bag if I need a shoulder bag
5. One MJ The Tote bag
6. Loewe raffia bag

2. Either the ysl or mini lou camera bag - because they are the se color and almost the same size.
5. One MJ The Tote bag
6. Loewe raffia bag
Only if she didn’t regret any…

I don’t want to sell any more..although a very dear friend who I saw turns 98 on Tuesday(she’s many decades older than me lol!)- but one day I’d like to live in her apartment , which she suggested yesterday…I am Considering gifting her a bag for her birthday , but I don’t want her son or granddaughter to give it back to me one day..she’s a lovely person, before lockdown she would insist on buying me lunch , and gave me bells to put on my Tiffany keyring so that I wouldn’t lose my keys-my cats would love her apartment , but atm I treasure her friendship ..I’ve given her a card and asked what she’d like, I wonder whether a bag would go down well(her son takes her out)

This is just to answer the op’s question :smile:. At the end of the day, it is her choice and her decision to make.

I have recently discarded a bag and I can’t be happier eventhough I lose so much money.

I agree, sell only if it doesn’t spark joy anymore, or you’re lacking in storage space, or you need the money. :smile:

Reactions: cecchetti
5. One MJ The Tote bag
6. Loewe raffia bag
Thank you for your inputs, hun..yeah, there are redundancies in my collection and your suggestion for bags to sell makes sense. Once I am ready to cull and sell, I will definitely take into consideration the similarities in style and function of the bags and keep the one that I love more. The raffia bag is also definitely on top of the chopping list..

Only if she didn’t regret any…

I don’t want to sell any more..although a very dear friend who I saw turns 98 on Tuesday(she’s many decades older than me lol!)- but one day I’d like to live in her apartment , which she suggested yesterday…I am Considering gifting her a bag for her birthday , but I don’t want her son or granddaughter to give it back to me one day..she’s a lovely person, before lockdown she would insist on buying me lunch , and gave me bells to put on my Tiffany keyring so that I wouldn’t lose my keys-my cats would love her apartment , but atm I treasure her friendship ..I’ve given her a card and asked what she’d like, I wonder whether a bag would go down well(her son takes her out)
That’s sweet of you to consider gifting her one of your bags. Is she a bag lady as well? If yes, she’d really appreciate that. Otherwise, I think quality time with you would mean more. ☺️

My Chanel collection

I used to have a calfskin flap and CF medium flap in lambskin way back in 2016 but I sold them both last year as I was not using them much. I was so afraid to use the ML flap in lambskin and used it less than 30 times in 5 years I owned it. To this day, my greatest regret was not getting ML in caviar way back in 2016 when it was just over $6k.

I got the coco handle in iridiscent purple in March 2022 and the boy in medium caviar in August. Both from boutique and in caviar as I want to be carefree with my bags. The medallion tote is the very first bag I got preloved and it is in pristine condition, great structure, sturdy handles and no scuffed corners. I have resolved that moving forward, I will only ever buy Chanel preloved.

I love these Chanel pieces as they are versatile and classic. I will keep them in my collection till I’m old and gray..❤️
View attachment 5747816
If you are a clueless boyfriend thinking to gift a special lady a Chanel (because she never took an interest in bags until she had to go to dinners with a clueless boyfriend and is now self conscious), would you recommend caviar as a classic and versatile starting point? And if a lady wants something hands free and more versatile, does that make the boy over flap an option? Is the tote also an option, asking because I thought ladies would not start with Chanel for a tote?

If you are a clueless boyfriend thinking to gift a special lady a Chanel (because she never took an interest in bags until she had to go to dinners with a clueless boyfriend and is now self conscious), would you recommend caviar as a classic and versatile starting point? And if a lady wants something hands free and more versatile, does that make the boy over flap an option? Is the tote also an option, asking because I thought ladies would not start with Chanel for a tote?
If she wants to a classic and carefree bag, then a medium flap in caviar is the way to go. This bag will last her a lifetime and guaranteed to not go out of style. The Boy bag is more for edgy, rugged style so best to check what her overall fashion sense is. Also, the Boy bag goes in and out of style, not so timeless as the classic flap.

The tote bag is the latest in my collection and I purchased it mostly because of the reasonable preloved price tag and pristine condition. I just wanted one more Chanel bag and something more spacious than my Coco handle and Boy bag..hope that answers your question.

That’s sweet of you to consider gifting her one of your bags. Is she a bag lady as well? If yes, she’d really appreciate that. Otherwise, I think quality time with you would mean more. ☺️
She likes nice things-her son takes her out-he’s in his 70’s , slim, very continental (double cheek kissing-i used to live in Paris), and wears a high quality coat.
She wears nice jewellery and a pearl necklace.
I spent yesterday afternoon with her, but my own Mother(who is only 77) has dementia , so I need to call her frequently, which is tiring , as well as looking after my growing family of Siamese cats.

If she doesn’t want the bag she wouldn’t take it, she’s not like that at All, but she’s always been very good to me, I hope that she does .❤️

If she wants to a classic and carefree bag, then a medium flap in caviar is the way to go. This bag will last her a lifetime and guaranteed to not go out of style. The Boy bag is more for edgy, rugged style so best to check what her overall fashion sense is. Also, the Boy bag goes in and out of style, not so timeless as the classic flap.

The tote bag is the latest in my collection and I purchased it mostly because of the reasonable preloved price tag and pristine condition. I just wanted one more Chanel bag and something more spacious than my Coco handle and Boy bag..hope that answers your question.
Thanks so much, this is a great summary!

Fashion sense is more sporty (but not tomboyish), and someone who leaned more towards athleisure during the pandemic. But now wants to do a more refined makeover (I seriously need to check female Instagrammers in their 30s without her mistaking the intention). This is why I thought of the Boy, and thought she might prefer a more everyday bag to a flap (yes, apparently women who protest in reaction to hints of being gifted with a flap exist).

Thanks so much, this is a great summary!

Fashion sense is more sporty (but not tomboyish), and someone who leaned more towards athleisure during the pandemic. But now wants to do a more refined makeover (I seriously need to check female Instagrammers in their 30s without her mistaking the intention). This is why I thought of the Boy, and thought she might prefer a more everyday bag to a flap (yes, apparently women who protest in reaction to hints of being gifted with a flap exist).
You’re welcome! The classic flap is definitely a more refined look and with caviar leather, it can be an everyday bag. Maybe you can look at her bag collection as well to see what she likes although a Boy or Classic flap would definitely be a great addition.

All the best in your research and may the best bag win!

thank you! to be clear, she doesn't have a bag collection and that's why I'm here. and I suspect she will want something that can be worn with everything short of a cocktail dress and heels, and this includes shorts and flip flops.

What a beautiful and diverse collection of colours and styles. My favourites include your Epi Almas, Mini Lou Camera bag, and Mini Puzzle.

Between the black and indigo Epi Almas, which one do you use more often, I realize they are different sizes. Also would you please compare and contrast the indigo Alma BB, Mini Lou Camera bag, and Mini Puzzle? They seem like versatile, easy to use bags. Those three are on my watch list. :love::love::love:

Reactions: Lady_zen
What a beautiful and diverse collection of colours and styles. My favourites include your Epi Almas, Mini Lou Camera bag, and Mini Puzzle.

Between the black and indigo Epi Almas, which one do you use more often, I realize they are different sizes. Also would you please compare and contrast the indigo Alma BB, Mini Lou Camera bag, and Mini Puzzle? They seem like versatile, easy to use bags. Those three are on my watch list. :love::love::love:
Hi lovely,

I use the black Alma PM for office and the Epi indigo BB usually for weekends. The Alma Epi BB is dressier and carries more than the Mini Lou and Mini Puzzle..

I use the Mini Lou mostly for errands, it’s my grab and go, carefree bag..fits my essentials (phone, key holder, card holder, compact powder, lipstick and sunglasses) and perfect for just running around hands free. The Mini Puzzle is my least favorite of the three because of it’s narrow opening, I have to angle my phone (Iphone 13 pro) to get it in and out of the bag. It carries my essential minus the sunglasses. It’s comfortable to wear but fussy to get in and out of.

If I rank the bags to my most to least favorite it will me Mini Lou, Alma BB epi (only because I have the Alma DE) and Mini Puzzle..in fact if I were to cull some bags, the mini puzzle is on top of the list. Hope this helps!

• Love
Reactions: More bags
thank you! to be clear, she doesn't have a bag collection and that's why I'm here. and I suspect she will want something that can be worn with everything short of a cocktail dress and heels, and this includes shorts and flip flops.
This is so nice. If I may suggest taking her on a shopping trip so she can try things on and decide? Bc sometimes things that seem so perfect on social media (I include TPF here) are not so perfect IRL. I am mainly an Hermes bag person, but I used to wear a lot of chanel. I prefer the reissue, the one without the CC logo. I am also fond of the Loewe mini puzzle (classic, not the edge). Have fun deciding. :smile:

The question OP posted was whether to curate your designer collection or not. I would say curate very slowly and carefully bc I have let things go too soon; missed them; and, repurchased. If you have the space, and you think something would be perfect for x time in the future, I would not let it go. Or if you have a fancy bag that you love but have not worn recently, I would consider keeping it. Bc often what we can buy new now is not as nice and is much more expensive.