Design you own handbags

shoeguru3

Feb 3, 2008
Just curious how happy people are after they have ordered handbags that they helped design. I have seen a great deal of this over the last year that I have been on this forum and I wonder if you like you bag better because you have had a say in it's production or if the expectation was greater than the actual product. Would you have difficulty returning a bag that did not meet your expectations if you are so connected to the designer of the bag? This has been a concern for me and it seems so popular lately I would like to know what others think. Thanks.

Customers don't design the bags. They pick an available design, then choose colors and leather types, linings, & hardware finishes. They custom-order from the Designer.
If you are thinking of a large group of people making suggestions to 'help' design a composite bag, then buying in, I'd call that something else entirely.
Rarely, a designer will create a unique bag for a specific person with that person's specifications in mind. This would be OOAK in style PLUS the above options. This is considered custom made but is again, not designed by the customer, although her style would never be offered to anyone else.
Once a person has placed a custom order, the leather is cut. No going back. Your designer would be out considerable time, effort and resources if the order were to be cancelled. There would be an 'orphan' bag.
To maximize production for a particular effort, some designers will make a series of XX amount of the same bag ~ enough to justify expense of entire hides in a particular color, etc. Alternately, with others, certain colors will be available only as long as those hides are, but they can offer several styles til it's used up.
So you see the different ways it can work. The Positive is that no matter what, your designer will make sure you are happy with your purchase.
You have a right to your exact leather choices (no substitutions), straight seams and tight stitches. You will have had an opportunity to choose from actual samples of your leather/color choices. If you are confident with your decisions, you should be pleased.
If you are considering new color combinations, get out your crayons !
People enjoy having something that is 'just' for them. We all have leather preferences and wildly divergent favored color schemes. It's fun to put that together instead of searching for your dream bag. It's minimally risky, given the abundance of references, but you have to have faith in your imagination, & know exactly what size and type bag is best for yourself.
If you have to see and hold something to be certain, your expectations may be hard to meet. To help you choose, your designer will suggest certain leathers, because we know which work best with different type bags. Do not settle for a style that's not YOU. If you need outside pockets, you won't be happy without them. If you like a satchel but want a shoulder strap sometimes, make sure that's included. (measure for it!)
The amount of structure (or lack of) is also personal.
*Here's one more tip to assure satisfaction. Do your math. You may use a current handbag, or even a paper bag. Put all your normal 'stuff' in it. Now measure up, across and sideways. Multiple H X L X D. That's your number. It is the minimum volume you require, as expressed in cubic inches ~ no matter what shape bag you choose. (If you like flat constructed bags, it's another formula)
I hope my synopsis helps you consider all aspects involved. Get the return policy clearly understood up front and be assured that a reputable designer is only happy when the customer is.

I did a customization involving not only colours, leathers etc, but also adjustment to size, proportions, closure and others. I think I could've entered with a design I had drawn myself, however as this was just a small pocket for documents it didn't really matter if it was "generic" or not. In this case you pay a certain amount up front though, so you cannot actually return it unless there is actually something wrong with it; not colour etc. that you have already looked at. I love this process and yes it makes the bag feel a lot more spcial than even the ready mades with custom colours etc. :yes:

Just curious how happy people are after they have ordered handbags that they helped design. I have seen a great deal of this over the last year that I have been on this forum and I wonder if you like you bag better because you have had a say in it's production or if the expectation was greater than the actual product. Would you have difficulty returning a bag that did not meet your expectations if you are so connected to the designer of the bag? This has been a concern for me and it seems so popular lately I would like to know what others think. Thanks.

I'm not sure if this fits into your question but with Ignes I was able to select one of their basic designs and then customize by choosing the leather, the lining, the hardware, adjusted the drop length and add a zipper closure. There are also options such as adding an outside pocket, a detachable shoulder strap, choose either flat or rolled handles, etc.

Yes, it definitely made the experience a million times more fun than just purchasing a bag off the rack! I thought about how I would feel if I wanted to return it after receiving it since they will accept returns if you are not satisfied - even for customized bags. Luckily I didn't have to face that though because I absolutely loved the bag. The service is very personalized so you do feel a connection to the designer and Ignacio especially has a way of making every customer feel special. A couple of folks have ended up exchanging their bags though and I think Ignes is so gracious about it that you don't feel bad about it. They truly want you to be satisfied and that's the key. There isn't an issue over worrying you may hurt their feelings and so forth.

Linda

I haven't designed the bag per se, but I have made structural suggestions and modifications to the design that the designer has agreed to with Ignes. I love the bags because they are excellent quality for a price that is unheard of --$330 or less including shipping.

I would say I enjoy the bags more because they are custom fitted to me. The colors, strap lengths, etc. are chosen by me and is my unique scheme.

I have had no trouble retuning one bag when the leather did not meet my expectations. Ignes offers a 100% satisfaction guarantee and paid for the shipping returning it to them.

I am extremely pleased with my Ignes bespoke bags. I selected the designs, leathers, linings, color hardware, and even made some modifications. I ordered a clutch that included a wrist strap and had this changed to a short shoulder strap. I ordered another design with a short shoulder strap and had its drop increased so I can wear it messenger style hands-free. I ordered another design and added a detachable/adjustable messenger strap for comfort and convenience. The style is the same, although I made some changes to suit my wearing preferences.

I :love: my Ignes bags because of the level of customization available to me. I have high expectations and Ignes not only met them, they went far above and beyond!!! :woohoo:

No, I have no difficulty returning/exchanging a bag if it does not meet my expectations. Ultimately, it's a business transaction, and if the seller does not provide what I want, I will shop elsewhere. I do not care for handbag brands/designers (or any merchant/vendor/seller) who bank upon the notion of "friendship" between buyer/seller to compel the customer to feel uncomfortable about returning/exchanging (i.e., as in disappointing a "friend"). This is NEVER an issue with Ignes, although I have experienced it elsewhere. These are merchants I avoid like the plague. There are too many really great merchants to enjoy, so why bother with this sort of complicated transaction?