Describe your perfect work bag!

jade

O.G.
Jan 15, 2006
So I have pretty much finished getting all of the possible bags I want/need. But I am still looking for that perfect work bag. I think I have finally figured out exactly what I need to carry, and the key features.

Here is my list...how about you:
1. removable crossbody strap, either thick or padded or both
2. room for a laptop (15" macbook sized), and it's power adapter, and an external mouse
3. space for an ipad or e-reader
4. space for a portfolio
5. space for a few folders or magazines
6. space for my big wallet
7. space for a scarf
8. space for an umbrella
8. space for a water bottle
9. space for a reusable bag
10. space for my purse dailies: lotion, lip gloss, etc.
11. external pocket big enough for a cell phone, and small wristlet
12. And a little room to spare for any of the random stuff I may pick up during the day
13. Neutral
14. Visual interest/details

I know that list looks absolutely ridiculous. But the reason my other bags fail is because I don't have room for some key item. Or I have to carry an extra bag to make it work.

I do have some close call bags....but none are quite perfect for one reason or another.

Agree with the MZW suggestions. The Kate and Belle would both meet your needs. They are indestructible, have visual interest, and are lightweight.

I get compliments on and questions about mine every time I carry them.

I see you include the Krakoff Atlantique in your wishlist...it's a great bag and would fit the bill except it doesn't have a crossbody strap. Othewise I think I Proenza Schouler PS1 or a large Givenchy Pandora would fit the bill but neither are as "classic" looking as the Krakoff...they're both a bit younger funkier looking. Good luck on your search! I know how hard it is to find the exact one you want!

Do you know if the 15" macbook fit in the large side pockets? Looks like it might be a close call based on the dimensions of the bag.

I haven't tried it but my best guess is that it would work. The MacBook is 14.35" wide so it would be snug but should fit. The zippers go down a ways on each side so it should go in easily.

Another option, in terms of capacity, might be the Longchamp Le Cuir Large Tote -- the dimensions are approximately 13"H x 16"W x 7"D, and it comes in a bunch of different colors.
http://www.neimanmarcus.com/p/Longc...ements%3D&eItemId=prod142120271&cmCat=product
http://www.neimanmarcus.com/p/Longc...ements%3D&eItemId=prod148200055&cmCat=product

It will not have the organization of the MZW bags though, but it is a better choice if you prefer your options to be hand carry or crossbody, as opposed to over-the-shoulder or crossbody. It's also leather as opposed to nylon, if you have a preference between the two.

I am looking for a leather bag for sure. I currently have a Coach Kristen N/S Tote that almost fits the bill. It looks great, but the crossbody strap is a little narrow, so it isn't ideal for when I have my 13" macbook in there. My perfect bag makes it easy to walk a mile carrying al my crap without killing my shoulder. The alternat strap is very comfy but a tiny bit short for when I am wearing a jacket.

Who knows, maybe Reed Krakoff will add a crossbody to the atlantique. I tend to gravitate to structured and slightly preppy bags.

I like the PS1 style, but I worry it won't project the right amount of polish I am looking for. I need and everyday work bag + a client meeting appropriate one too. And one that is still great when I don't have my laptop. (They Alesya Bag is a killer laptop bag, I feel like James Bond when I pull my laptop out! And it fits my huge Dell work laptop)

Long strap, slouchy hobo, leather, that about 15"X12", with a decent strap drop 10" or more. I like magnetic closure best over all.

Oh... and inside pockets... lots of inside pockets. :smile: