Dept. of Justice wha?? HUH!?!?

Pearl said:
A title search is not done until a house has a ratified contract. The realtor has no way of knowing about the title before the search is done.

The selling agent MUST have known the personal circumstances of the owners- and it obviously wasn't disclosed!

The selling agent MUST have known the personal circumstances of the owners

Nope. A title search costs money and is not done until the contract is ratified and a settlement date is set.

Termite inspection, title seach, and other things depending on the state, get done once the contract is ratifed.

Pearl, this all well may be true, but in my world, this is called 'lying by omission'. It is hard to believe the selling agent knew NOTHING of these people and why they were selling....

Chag, I hope it all works out in the end. The house is beautiful and I'd hate to see you not get it. I really hope that someway and somehow this will get taken of quickly.

chag said:

Don't be sad, it'll all work out. Look at it this way: wouldn't you rather know this NOW rather than later? My experience with these matters has taught me that the government has a lot of powers and god forbid you were to close on that house and they were able to seize it or place leins on it anyway... you would not want that!! Perhaps that would be unlikely but in these times the Gov't can do pretty much whatever they want... this may be a blessing in disguise for you. :flowers:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pearl, this all well may be true, but in my world, this is called 'lying by omission'. It is hard to believe the selling agent knew NOTHING of these people and why they were selling....

Roo, I am not being rude or flaming and you cannot agree with me all you want but there is no way the agent would have known unless the seller told them, or if they were personal friends.

This is why title searches are done. They are not cheap and not done until a contract is ratified. This is also why there is title insurance.

As horrible as Chag feels now, better they find this out now, rather then later.

Pearl said:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Roo, I am not being rude or flaming and you cannot agree with me all you want but there is no way the agent would have known unless the seller told them, or if they were personal friends.

This is why title searches are done. They are not cheap and not done until a contract is ratified. This is also why there is title insurance.

As horrible as Chag feels now, better they find this out now, rather then later.

I don't think you're being rude at all, so no harm done. I would think that with a money laundering prosecution looming over a household, the circumstances would be pretty apparent. However, if organized crime is involved (which it sounds like it might be) then maybe the agent was lied to as well. Who knows. In any event I agree with you that Chag is much better off finding this out now.