Depop Seller Rant - Am I being unreasonable?

Liraelfae

Mar 22, 2019
Hi everyone,
I’m relatively new to PurseForum although I’ve been a long time lurker...I hope I’m posting in the right place, I searched the forums and couldn’t find anything relating to depop shopping experiences. I haven’t been buying designer goods for long so I’d really appreciate input on this. I was looking to purchase a Les Petits Joueurs bag for my sister’s graduation which was listed as new on a Depop seller’s profile. In the posted pictures the brand was never visibile, just the outside and back of the bag and this particular bag isn’t branded there, just on the inside.

I contacted the seller (who has something like “second hand luxury shop” in their name) and asked for more pictures showing the brand and other elements and also asked whether the bag was new. She replied saying that she doesn’t take any additional pictures, doesn’t have dust bag or tags, but as she is a second hand luxury retail shop she can attest to authenticity. She also said that the bag is “second hand but like new” (shouldn’t she have written like new instead of brand new then?).

I replied that I still wanted the extra pictures and she said that she doesn’t want to be rude but she only sends extra pictures after the item has been bought (??) because this is a job for her and she doesn’t want to waste time. I don’t live in her town and can’t go check out the shop, but honestly at this point I wouldn’t even go if I could as this seems beyond ridiculous to me! If it’s your full time job don’t you want people to buy from you?! Bad service isn’t going to do you any favors, and why should I blind buy something anyway when I can’t even get pictures which would help me attest authenticity? I’ve bought stuff on depop before and the other sellers were super kind, sent me loads of pictures and answered all my questions...

She has about 40 reviews and everyone says she’s super helpful, kind and honest but this really wasn’t my experience, so I’m wondering whether I’m overreacting. But still...this bag would have been around 200 euros (which isn’t much), but she’s selling Chanel and Hermès as well, and there’s no way I would buy something like that based on three pictures! Anyway, sorry for the long rant. I’m not going to buy obviously but I’d appreciate input, just to know if this is something some of you have come across as well. I honestly don’t think my request was that strange...

I tried Depop ages ago and deleted the app, basically you get 100 questions from people, even if you already put what they ask in the description, then they make totally ridiculous price offers and are super offended if you don't want to sell for the price they want to pay (nope, Valentino main line doesn't go for a 10er) but as far as I remember, Depop offers returns, so if the bag was not like described, you could cancel it and I do think they ban sellers who offer fakes?

As I said, it's not for me, but if I remember their TOS rightly, the buyer is quite protected.

Reactions: SakuraSakura
Thanks Gabs007 for your answer! Depop doesn’t offer returns, it’s up to the seller, and this one had a no returns policy...I didn’t ask for a discount or make a ridiculous offer, I realize that’s insulting and wouldn’t do that. She said it was in the post (but then said it wasn’t in a private message) and there was no picture showing the brand name on the bag, which is what I asked for...

Thanks Gabs007 for your answer! Depop doesn’t offer returns, it’s up to the seller, and this one had a no returns policy...I didn’t ask for a discount or make a ridiculous offer, I realize that’s insulting and wouldn’t do that. She said it was in the post (but then said it wasn’t in a private message) and there was no picture showing the brand name on the bag, which is what I asked for...

Are you totally sure? Because I recall that the money is paid via PP, is kept by Depop until the item arrived and then the buyer has a certain amount of time to check that everything is as described. I can't imagine that they have changed it, because people would get totally upset when they get the wrong item or fakes. Seriously, without any help from the app or guarantees, who would buy anything?

I wasn't suggesting you were annoying to her and making ridiculous offers, it was just the experience I had when I tried to use it, so maybe she had a bunch of those and was just a bit ticked off and thought you were trying to rattle her chain too?

Btw I just googled Depop buyer protection, actually covers you for 180 days

"In order to be eligible for Buyer or Seller Protection, you must: a) purchase/sell the Sale Item in-app, and b) report the transaction issue to PayPal within 180 days from the date of purchase/sale. ... All purchases/sales made outside of Depop are against our Terms of Use and are not covered by Buyer or Seller Protection."

So as long as you buy through the app, you should be totally covered, depending where you are in Europe, most countries have super strict policies regarding fakes, the UK is actually very lax compared to it, your main worry seemed to be that the item might be a fake, so you are covered on that front.

Thanks, that’s really good to know! Yes getting a fake is my main concern, and I’m sure PayPal covers that. I’m not sure about the returns, because so many Italian sellers write “no returns” on their page (I’m in Italy)...so I guess fakes and other issues are covered but not just wanting to send an item back or buyers remorse (which I think is fair, it would be stressful for the seller to allow returns in all cases).

I’m not sure why she was so annoyed with me [emoji28]...I really didn’t ask for anything in particular. I guess I was just lucky in the past and met super understanding sellers!

Thanks, that’s really good to know! Yes getting a fake is my main concern, and I’m sure PayPal covers that. I’m not sure about the returns, because so many Italian sellers write “no returns” on their page (I’m in Italy)...so I guess fakes and other issues are covered but not just wanting to send an item back or buyers remorse (which I think is fair, it would be stressful for the seller to allow returns in all cases).

I think if you simply change your mind, you can't return, but on eBay a lot of people say No Returns, however if an item is significantly not as described, damaged or a fake, that doesn't grip. Basically her claiming that it is new and then saying it is 2nd hand but like new would also have messed with that.

I noticed that on eBay too, people sell stuff as new without tags, then you get an item that is everything but new and they try to tell you they only wore it a few times, well, then it isn't new and it is false advertising.

Reactions: Liraelfae
In my opinion if a seller can't be bothered with assisting with additional, and reasonable, questions, its a seller you should avoid. I'd chalk it up to dodging a bullet.

Agreed, but during my brief stay on Depop, it was nuts, put some stuff up, always with measurements etc.

Then at 2 am
"Hey what is the waist?"
3 minutes later "Are you there, what is the waist?" (remember waist and length already given)
1 hour later at 3 am "Why don't you answer, hello...." (Yeah, sorry, some people do sleep, not all of us can be vampires)
So in the morning I wake up and reply that as stated the waist is...
Give it a few hours "Length?" Also stated...
Then questions about the condition and if you do not answer within 2 minutes, steady "Hello, are you there...."
It usually ended with them offering a totally ridiculous price, usually about 1/10th of what I listed it at, then arguing that they do not have money (regrettable but not really my problem, I earn my own) and a barrage of how unfair it is that I am not selling it for the equivalent of a cup of coffee as she really really wants it...

I think maybe she had a few of those and just was about to have a nervous breakdown, though a bit daft to not show the inside with the label in the 1st place.

Agreed, but during my brief stay on Depop, it was nuts, put some stuff up, always with measurements etc.

Then at 2 am
"Hey what is the waist?"
3 minutes later "Are you there, what is the waist?" (remember waist and length already given)
1 hour later at 3 am "Why don't you answer, hello...." (Yeah, sorry, some people do sleep, not all of us can be vampires)
So in the morning I wake up and reply that as stated the waist is...
Give it a few hours "Length?" Also stated...
Then questions about the condition and if you do not answer within 2 minutes, steady "Hello, are you there...."
It usually ended with them offering a totally ridiculous price, usually about 1/10th of what I listed it at, then arguing that they do not have money (regrettable but not really my problem, I earn my own) and a barrage of how unfair it is that I am not selling it for the equivalent of a cup of coffee as she really really wants it...

I think maybe she had a few of those and just was about to have a nervous breakdown, though a bit daft to not show the inside with the label in the 1st place.

That sounds awful and just so annoying! I totally get why you left...I was looking at Valentino rockstuds lately and most are going between 400 and 500 euros, which is fine considering retail in Italy is around 700-720 euros. But the comments were just so ridiculous...like “will you sell for 100?” [emoji33][emoji33]

Honestly I would be so embarrassed to make an offer like that! Plus why would anyone ever accept it? I think the only time I asked for a discount on shipping was for a Miss Dior perfume which I picked up in person and didn’t go through Depop, so it wasn’t really a discount as I still paid what she asked for it (so yes I didn’t pay shipping but there was no shipping and in addition she didn’t pay any Depop fees, so overall that was even better for her).
People are awful sometimes [emoji849] sorry you had to deal with such awful buyers. I guess I’m the minority...

Anyway, thanks for all the replies! I decided not to buy, mainly because the bag was listed as new but wasn’t actually new, and I wanted to get my sister something new for graduation. [emoji4]

Plus the seller was rude in my opinion and I just don’t want to deal with her. I know she probably gets a lot of awful buyers, but I’m not one of them and don’t deserve to be treated as such. Impressions go both ways, I definitely won’t be recommending her to anyone.

That sounds awful and just so annoying! I totally get why you left...I was looking at Valentino rockstuds lately and most are going between 400 and 500 euros, which is fine considering retail in Italy is around 700-720 euros. But the comments were just so ridiculous...like “will you sell for 100?” [emoji33][emoji33]

Honestly I would be so embarrassed to make an offer like that! Plus why would anyone ever accept it? I think the only time I asked for a discount on shipping was for a Miss Dior perfume which I picked up in person and didn’t go through Depop, so it wasn’t really a discount as I still paid what she asked for it (so yes I didn’t pay shipping but there was no shipping and in addition she didn’t pay any Depop fees, so overall that was even better for her).
People are awful sometimes [emoji849] sorry you had to deal with such awful buyers. I guess I’m the minority...

If somebody indicates they are open to offers, then a reasonable offer is fine, but trying to buy them for a ridiculous price, well, don't think is being reasonable.

I think this whole "I saw somebody having an item on instagram" thing has taken over totally and a lot of people just seem to think because they want it for a cheap price, somebody should give it to them.

I love the look of the Rockstuds on others, they are not for me or go with my usual style and the price on them, for that money I prefer something that is more versatile, but yes, like you said, I wouldn't dream of asking somebody to sell for 100, and if they would, I would wonder why anybody would sell them that cheap.

Totally understand why you want something new, if it is as a present, I would also want to buy something new, if it is for me, I usually do not mind a 2nd hand bag, or clothes, a bit fussy with shoes though, but if you want to give somebody a present for a special occasion, it is just much nicer to give a new thing.

Sorry to hear about your experience. I am about to get rid of my depop. The app itself is great, easy to use, a nice site to post creative photos and for a while it seemed better than poshmark or ebay because it didn’t attract loads of scammers at first...but that seems to have changed. If they can’t offer photos for an item they are selling that just seems scketchy. I also just had a buyer go to their bank and open up a dispute/chargeback saying their purchase was “unauthorized” months after they received the item so buyers can scam you as well. Depop does take action by banning scammers if something goes wrong.

I don't think you're unreasonable. I think people with just a few pictures are unreasonable. But I think a professional seller does have a lot of items stored away and sometimes they wait for people who know everythin about the item already and buybit without demanding extra informations. Seller should've worded it differently though imho.

Sorry to hear about your experience. I am about to get rid of my depop. The app itself is great, easy to use, a nice site to post creative photos and for a while it seemed better than poshmark or ebay because it didn’t attract loads of scammers at first...but that seems to have changed. If they can’t offer photos for an item they are selling that just seems scketchy. I also just had a buyer go to their bank and open up a dispute/chargeback saying their purchase was “unauthorized” months after they received the item so buyers can scam you as well. Depop does take action by banning scammers if something goes wrong.

A friend fell for a new scam, if the postman comes, they are not in, then they put a redelivery request in but way into the future, won't fly with eBay or Depop, but if they pay via PayPal they can claim the item has not been delivered, even if it shows the redelivery request, all that counts for PP is that at that point in time it has not been delivered...