Department Stores vs Flagship

Carma

Feb 16, 2014
Is there a difference in buying items from department stores versus flagship, are the chances of items being unauthentic slightly higher in department stores. Im kind of weary as ive heard a few stories about people exchanging fakes for authentic items :/

Also do you guys know if flagship stores offer discounts? Ive currently got my eye on 4 pairs of ferragamos as im an international traveler bloomingdales offer 10% off which currently provides incentive to buy from them, would ferragamo give me a better price by any chance?

Everyone has a different buy. Even BG and NM have different buys. That means that depending on what you are looking for, someone will have bought it in a different color but not available at the boutique or another dept store.

Chanel also doesn't seem to treat their own brick and mortars (B&M) with preference, even though they are native. Like, I've seen NM get their seasonal stock in about one or two weeks before the boutiques get their shipment.

IMHO, my preference based on each company's buyers' tastes at present, in order:
Neiman Marcus
Bergdorf Goodman
B&M
Bloomingdales
Nordstrom

EDIT: sorry, I thought this was in the Chanel forum. I guess it's not. My apologies. The above was re: Chanel only.

+1

Boutiques and department stores sometimes have different items (Chanel, Valentino etc)

Dept stores usually have better return policy yet boutiques usually have more stock!

I find department stores have better discounts/coupons/promos but flagship/boutiques have way better selection and service.

+1

Boutiques and department stores sometimes have different items (Chanel, Valentino etc)

Dept stores usually have better return policy yet boutiques usually have more stock!

So true about Chanel & Valentino. The stock at dept stores like NM is more limited, whereas you have way more options in the store.