Dental Deep Cleanings - Totally necessary?

bisousx

O.G.
Jan 3, 2008
My pug's teeth are getting yellow from tartar buildup. :shame: I've been told that she needs a deep cleaning, and would have to be put under anesthesia. This worries me.. I'd rather not put her under any risk if it's not totally necessary. I do send her to the dog spas for teeth cleanings but I guess they're not helpful. I wonder if the deep cleanings would get rid of all the tartar?

Can someone give me their opinions on deep cleanings?

My sister's Rottweilers have their teeth cleaned with the anesthesia method and they come out sparkling clean and white. However I too think it's risky to unnecessarily subject any living thing to anesthesia. I'm told by vets that if the tartar/plaque is very bad and their gums are swollen that could lead to infections that could be worse than the anesthesia risk. It's a gamble either way, unfortunately.

I haven't had any deep cleanings done on my animals, but I have had to have teeth pulled from my cats because they were in bad shape. I think if your dog is young enough, it would be a good idea to have the cleaning done now, and then try to keep up the maintenance yourself. Make sure she has hard things to chew on and brush them occasionally if you can. It's much better to catch it early and take care of it, rather than letting it get to the point where she has to have teeth removed.

i don't have dogs... and not sure if cats teeth are the same but i've had a lot of cats growing up and my mom used to work at a vet clinic for 18 years. i'm 29 and just now had to have my very first cat have a dental procedure. they've never had their teeth cleaned... never any issues... yet i've known people who had a cat that had to have like 6-9 teeth pulled.

i'm sure it's good for them... but not sure if it's necessary?? i think vets are like doctors sometimes..they push for different things.

I would only do it if the gums are red or swelled. I lost a cat right after a dental cleaning. He was older with other health issues (Diabetes) but he was well controlled and otherwise healthy. The Plaque can cause serious health problems so like Gazoo said it is a gamble either way.

The cleaning under anesthesia would be a full scaling that removes everything. I know my dog needs it, but he's very old and I've tried just keeping his teeth brushed and I give him a Greenie a day, to help with the plaque. When he was young, I did get them deep cleaned, it's supposed to be done every six months. The brushing at the haircut doesn't remove plaque, that can only be done with the scaling tools.
If your dog is young and healthy, I'd get it, because bad teeth can lead to bacteria in the bloodstream and worse conditions.

I had my yorkie teeth cleaned when she was 7 years old. Pretty bad teeth they pulled out 12 but she didn't handle the anesthesia very well and was pretty sick afterward. I regret having it done to her but at that time it was necessary. She recovered within a few days but I noticed she chews differently but was still able to eat her dry kibble.I lost a dog due to dental disease. Not fun and preventable.

Ok... thanks everyone. Her plaque is pretty bad. I don't know how people can afford to get it done every six months. Dr's here are charging $600+ for the cleanings!

Yes!!!!! Absolutely necessary (but not every 6 months). Small dogs are prone to tartar build-up. If their teeth get too bad (and sometimes they don't actually look that bad), they will have to pull teeth at an additional expense. They can also get infections that if left untreated, can spread to their jaw bone (and possibly lead to death). We have a westie, so I am all-too familiar with it. Over his 11 years, he's had some teeth pulled and an infection that we had no idea he had - and we are good dog "parents." We brush when I remember and we give him chew treats from the vet that are supposed to cut down on tartar. We do the deep-clean on his teeth about once a year.

Yes, i agree absolutely necessary once in their lifetime. Thereafter maintain with a healthy supply of bones, or greenies, or (very important!) regular brushing.

there are however some risks for this procedure in senior dogs (as with any seniors undergoing anesthesia) but i've known of many middle aged or senior dogs who've had difficulty with gum diseases, rotting teeth, bad breath, get better, look healthier and become happier after a dental cleanup. Their appetite also improves.