Dent in Caviar Classic Flap

L.refuerzo

Nov 13, 2019
Hello everyone!
This is my first time posting in this thread. I tried finding something similar to the question that I had, but couldn’t really find anything. Nothing current at least. So please feel free to direct me elsewhere if need be.

So I bought my very first Chanel a couple of weeks ago. I got the M/L classic flap in black caviar and gold hardware. It wasn’t until I got home did I notice that one of the sides was slanted. So I actually went back to Chanel a week later to exchange. The SA brought out another medium flap, and I noticed the stitching was weird in the corners. So I asked to see another flap, in which the SA said she could only bring out one more for me to look at. Thankfully the one she brought out didn’t have any imperfections... or so I thought. So I agreed to exchange for the last flap that she brought out.

Again, it wasn’t until I got home did I notice that one of the quilts had a dent. I included a picture for all of you to see. I’d hate to exchange it a second time because I’m worried that none of the flaps they have in stock will be to my liking. I’m so disappointed at the fact that I’m even in this predicament, considering the price point of these pieces, and because it’s my first Chanel!

I’m just wondering, have any of you exchanged your purse multiple times? Would you consider exchanging if you had the dent shown in the picture? Or do you have remedies to try and get the dent out?

Also, just to clarify, I don’t believe I put the dent in the bag. I didn’t have the chain sitting on top of the bag, and this bag is brand new. So I’m led to believe that this dent was already on the bag at the time of purchase, I just didn’t notice it. I’m also just dreading having to exchange it again because the nearest Chanel boutique is 1.5 hours away from me, in SF.

And for those who will probably bash me for being nitpicky, yes I am being nitpicky for a $6500 brand new purse.

I included a photo that shows how it looks when you look at it straight on (less noticeable). It’s definitely more noticeable when you look at the top of the purse directly.
CB5F51EA-ABB4-4B2C-B939-B45284A0FC60.jpegF4FC6126-06FE-49C1-877C-B334797DCA05.jpeg

Reactions: Strep2031
You have every right to be nit-picky! If you're paying 7k for a bag, it better look perfect! I would text your SA and share your concerns and ask if they have the same bag in stock. Maybe see if they can send you a return shipping label and send you a new one.

I see the dent and that’s not going to fly with me!

I rightfully got my So Black Coco Handle from 20A replaced THREE TIMES. The aftersales department and boutique manager were cooperative because the flaws were so obvious. It can even be assumed that there’s quality control issues on these bags because of the defects - perhaps the pandemic affected the quality control and overall production.

It’s okay to be picky - you paid $$$$$ for the bag and the quality should be EXCELLENT even if it’s hand made. Good luck!

Return/exchange as you are not happy. stand your ground as they may want to give you the run around. Hopefully you are in the return period. Did you buy from boutique or dept store??

Return/exchange as you are not happy. stand your ground as they may want to give you the run around. Hopefully you are in the return period. Did you buy from boutique or dept store??

You have every right to be nit-picky! If you're paying 7k for a bag, it better look perfect! I would text your SA and share your concerns and ask if they have the same bag in stock. Maybe see if they can send you a return shipping label and send you a new one.

Thanks for the suggestion! Although having one mailed to me would be convenient, I would prefer inspecting everything in person. Also, there have been major package delays with COVID, and now the fires going on in California.

Reactions: ddebartolo
I see the dent and that’s not going to fly with me!

I rightfully got my So Black Coco Handle from 20A replaced THREE TIMES. The aftersales department and boutique manager were cooperative because the flaws were so obvious. It can even be assumed that there’s quality control issues on these bags because of the defects - perhaps the pandemic affected the quality control and overall production.

It’s okay to be picky - you paid $$$$$ for the bag and the quality should be EXCELLENT even if it’s hand made. Good luck!

I agree. With the prices, I don’t know why it is such a common occurrence to find defects with these purses. I have never had to exchange a purse before, or have this kind of issue. I’m just so disheartened at this point considering that I may have to go back again to exchange. I even considered just returning this purse and giving up on Chanel completely if this is what I have to deal with. I don’t know why they limit the amount of purses I can look at.

Thanks for the suggestion! Although having one mailed to me would be convenient, I would prefer inspecting everything in person. Also, there have been major package delays with COVID, and now the fires going on in California.
I live in the Bay Area as well and it's been bad... Hope you're staying safe and well! Maybe you can just send it back for now, and ask for photos of the new bag that they are offering?

I am still in the return period. Currently, Chanel has a 30 day return policy as opposed to their old 14 day policy. I bought it from the Chanel boutique in SF. I’m just wondering if they’d even allow me to look at more purses since the SA limited the number of purses I could see (only 2). If they don’t let me look at more, I may just have no choice but to return which makes me sad.

So some classic flaps have these so called dents. It’s more common on seasonal flaps where the leather is softer. In your pictures though, the caviar looks puffy and shiny which is harder to find (I once went through 13 flaps and none of them to my liking). I’d say if it bothers you, please return it. You’ll continue to fixate on it...at the end of the day you’ll end up selling it.

of course you have to do what makes you happy. However, it generally seems like the first original bag is usually the best one of all (if it really bothered me, i would have asked my SA for suggestions on how to reblock the slanted shape but YMMV) and the selection gets progressively worse. (This observation is only from my reading similar TPF threads here).I switched to Hermes in 2008 and only kept three reissues (Two metallic which thankfully didn’t peel and one so blk chevron mini that had no issues either. but, my reissues have had rough lives; I think DH sat on my gold metallic once. Good luck and pls remember leather is an organic skin with quirks even at the exorbitant prices Chanel charges.

Reactions: minnnea
I live in the Bay Area as well and it's been bad... Hope you're staying safe and well! Maybe you can just send it back for now, and ask for photos of the new bag that they are offering?

Thank you! I hope you’re staying safe as well! I’ll text my SA tomorrow and see what other options she gives me. If she doesn’t let me exchange, then I may just return. I’ve also been trying to figure out if I can get rid of the dent myself. I’ve been lightly massaging it every day. I’ve seen videos of people carefully applying heat with a steamer, although I’m a little too chicken to try that method.

So some classic flaps have these so called dents. It’s more common on seasonal flaps where the leather is softer. In your pictures though, the caviar looks puffy and shiny which is harder to find (I once went through 13 flaps and none of them to my liking). I’d say if it bothers you, please return it. You’ll continue to fixate on it...at the end of the day you’ll end up selling it.

Wow, you went through 13 flaps?! That’s what I’m afraid of as well. I’m afraid to just be disappointed with all of the flaps I see. That’s why I was wondering if there was a way to get rid of the dent myself, because that is my ONLY issue. I love everything else about this purse, especially the puffy, shiny quilts which my first flap didn’t have

of course you have to do what makes you happy. However, it generally seems like the first original bag is usually the best one of all (if it really bothered me, i would have asked my SA for suggestions on how to reblock the slanted shape but YMMV) and the selection gets progressively worse. (This observation is only from my reading similar TPF threads here).I switched to Hermes in 2008 and only kept three reissues (Two metallic which thankfully didn’t peel and one so blk chevron mini that had no issues either. but, my reissues have had rough lives; I think DH sat on my gold metallic once. Good luck and pls remember leather is an organic skin with quirks even at the exorbitant prices Chanel charges.

There was no way the slant could have been fixed with my first flap. My other issue with the first flap was the fact that it leaned forward. I believe the leaning is a common occurrence with flaps as well, and I was willing to accept the lean. But the slanted side was the dealbreaker for me. My husband even noticed it, whereas he didn’t notice the dent with the second flap. That’s why I’m on the fence about exchanging/returning this second flap. My only issue with it is the dent, and I was hoping if anyone knew if there was a way to get rid of it.

Reactions: 880
There was no way the slant could have been fixed with my first flap. My other issue with the first flap was the fact that it leaned forward. I believe the leaning is a common occurrence with flaps as well, and I was willing to accept the lean. But the slanted side was the dealbreaker for me
my Point is not that the slant can be definitively fixed. Rather it’s a legitimate pretext (oxymoron perhaps:smile: to get the SA invested in working with you for a solution. I often Think that by jumping so quickly to return or exchange, the level of service and bags presented for ones perusal deteriorates. JMO of course. And I have had issues with RTW that required substantial and willing SA help.

a TPfer noted above, if the SA wants to keep the sale, they would help. However, I learned from another thread that an SA makes maybe 100 usd commission on a 6K usd bag. Chanel corporate apparently trains them to brush off a lot of concerns as routine wear and tear and with such a de minimus commission, there is no incentive unless you start by opening up an Thoughtful of exchange. in an ideal world, of course they should want to bend over backwards to help on this issue. I was also reminded on another thread (entitled something like, wore it two times and my bag is peeling) that Chanel, despite churning out zillions of bags, doesn’t consider itself a leather company, but rather views bags as an accompaniment to RTW. Thus, it may be against their business model to make bags that last. That’s why for the exorbitant price, some tPfers regretfully switch to other brands. Keep in mind to, the SA is only like the front house of a restaurant. They don’t make the bags. And they may not be able to send a bag back to the chef and have a perfect one whipped up. JMO. I hope you can come up with the solution that makes you happiest!

Last edited: