Travel Delta Cabin Question

buzzytoes

Dog Chauffeur
O.G.
Jun 7, 2008
I am looking at flights from SLC to SYD on Delta and I am confused. When I look at the seat chart for the long flight they list Business Elite, Premium Economy and Economy as the cabins. But in the pricing they list Economy and then First/Business. I am trying to figure out what the pricing would be for the Premium Economy. In the seat chart it looks like seats the size of Business Elite, then they get smaller in economy. Is it safe to assume Business Elite = First Class and Premium Economy = Business class?? I am annoyed that they don't have uniform names all across the board. Why do they name a cabin Premium Economy when they don't have that term in their pricing?? :tdown:

I am looking at flights from SLC to SYD on Delta and I am confused. When I look at the seat chart for the long flight they list Business Elite, Premium Economy and Economy as the cabins. But in the pricing they list Economy and then First/Business. I am trying to figure out what the pricing would be for the Premium Economy. In the seat chart it looks like seats the size of Business Elite, then they get smaller in economy. Is it safe to assume Business Elite = First Class and Premium Economy = Business class?? I am annoyed that they don't have uniform names all across the board. Why do they name a cabin Premium Economy when they don't have that term in their pricing?? :tdown:

I don't fly Delta a lot but if it's like other airlines it's because the Premium Economy is either for a) flyers with elite status who get it for free or b) people who pay the extra charge when selecting a seat and/or checking in.

Premium Economy doesn't mean Business class, it means the front of the Economy section, usually with more leg room. It's not a differently priced ticket because it's a seperate charge, kind of like how airlines charge to check bags.

Have you tried going further than the first screen that shows you the ticket prices? Go ahead and click purchase, enter your passenger info, and then the next screen is usually seat selection. At that point you will see what the extra charge is, if you're even eligible to sit there or buy it. This is before you enter any credit card info so just stop there and you didn't actually buy the ticket.

Hope that helps.

I don't fly Delta a lot but if it's like other airlines it's because the Premium Economy is either for a) flyers with elite status who get it for free or b) people who pay the extra charge when selecting a seat and/or checking in.

Premium Economy doesn't mean Business class, it means the front of the Economy section, usually with more leg room. It's not a differently priced ticket because it's a seperate charge, kind of like how airlines charge to check bags.

Have you tried going further than the first screen that shows you the ticket prices? Go ahead and click purchase, enter your passenger info, and then the next screen is usually seat selection. At that point you will see what the extra charge is, if you're even eligible to sit there or buy it. This is before you enter any credit card info so just stop there and you didn't actually buy the ticket.

Hope that helps.

I did look at available seats, that's where they confused me. :biggrin: They have (on domestic flights) what they call Economy Comfort, which is like six inches more of leg room, but on the website it still shows up in the economy cabin. This one is Business Elite (nothing that says First Class) first with the bigger chairs, Premium Economy with bigger chairs, then economy. It also says Economy Comfort is not available on that flight. I've never really understoood the difference between First and Business either so maybe that's part of my problem. Maybe it's like you said and it's for Elite Class flyers so it doesn't even come up for me as a price option.

From my experience, Delta uses Business Class/First Class interchangeably. The difference seems to be based on the type of aircraft. In general, three types of seats - First/Business, Economy comfort (upgradable from economy/coach and provides a wider seat) and finally economy/coach.

From my experience, Delta uses Business Class/First Class interchangeably. The difference seems to be based on the type of aircraft. In general, three types of seats - First/Business, Economy comfort (upgradable from economy/coach and provides a wider seat) and finally economy/coach.
I flew Delta Sydney to LA year before last and we flew business class (there was no first class). Prem economy on that flight was up the front of economy, the seats had a (little) more room and i think they received better meals.
Go to seatguru.com they give you all the details for each type of airline and plane
good luck!

Business/first depends in the aircraft
If there are two classes of service, that means your options will be coach or first
3 classes - coach, business and first.

For most long hauls you'll have 3 cabins.

Business/first depends in the aircraft
If there are two classes of service, that means your options will be coach or first
3 classes - coach, business and first.

For most long hauls you'll have 3 cabins.

Which three cabins for long haul? Do you mean coach/business/first? If not - cool. If so - what routes?

(Eta - delta doesn't fly first class international *anywhere* so I'm just trying to understand what you mean).

Which three cabins for long haul? Do you mean coach/business/first? If not - cool. If so - what routes?

(Eta - delta doesn't fly first class international *anywhere* so I'm just trying to understand what you mean).

For instance I've flown American Airlines ORD NRT a few times. That is a 777, with coach, business and first. I've also flown us airways on a 321 PHL ATH they only have coach and envoy (their first class equivalent, but really it's business).

A lot of the terminology depends on the carrier and aircraft.

For instance I've flown American Airlines ORD NRT a few times. That is a 777, with coach, business and first. I've also flown us airways on a 321 PHL ATH they only have coach and envoy (their first class equivalent, but really it's business).

A lot of the terminology depends on the carrier and aircraft.

I guess, if OP asked about American. As it stands, they asked about Delta.

Just moved up to diamond medallion delta member.
Three classes on delta international flights outside North America and Caribbean.
1. Business Elite
2. A few Economy comfort
3. Economy.

Premium economy is nowhere near the room of business elite, does not fully recline.
But more legroom than economy.

Here is where my confusion was: you look at the seat chart on the model of the plane and it shows three cabins. The first two cabins have larger seats in the model, third cabin has smaller seats. So I was wondering what the difference was between the first two cabins.

Apparently Delta is just dumb. They list the flight as being on a Boeing 777-300ER, but then when you go to look at their fleet, they don't have that plane listed. They have a 767-300ER and a 777-200ER. Doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things anyway since we are not going, but the lack of consistency is frustrating.

Premium economy is considered class W. The different classes can be found by clicking "advanced search" on the home page in the book flights section. The classes available on flights depend on the plane configuration by the airline and route. Some planes/airlines may have three distinct sections while others may have economy, premium economy, business class and first.

Just for reference, Premium Economy is not equivalent to Business Class (in the sense of how I imagine a non-frequent flyer would view it). The name is accurate: Premium Economy is Economy with slightly bigger seats with slightly more legroom. There is a big leap in comfort level (and their corresponding costs) from Premium Economy to Business Elite/First specially on international flights.

If you want full (or almost full) recline, buy Business/First seats, not Premium Economy.