"Delivery status not updated" but delivered -- how to protect from INR?

Oct 29, 2006
Los Angeles
I sold some shoes (~$75) and despite my best intentions, the package ended up postage due (long story short, if your package weighs in at just under 2 lbs at the origin, it can miraculously gain an ounce in transit :nuts:). Since my buyer lived in a high rise apartment, it got left with the apartment's concierge and the tracking stated "delivery status not updated". The buyer was semi-unresponsive to messages (she responded to one of my messages to say it was postage due and she would pick it up over the weekend, but then never responded to another message a week later asking if she'd gotten it), and I eventually called her apartment building and found out that she had indeed signed for the package. However, it hasn't shown up as delivered in tracking and I was wondering if there was anything I could do to prevent her from claiming it was never delivered. In the slim chance she decided to file INR, is there anything I can do? Not to mention I feel terrible that it was postage due, and I'd really like to refund the extra postage, but she won't even respond and tell me how much she had to pay! She's a powerseller with 1000s of feedback, btw, so I know she's on eBay at least once a week.

htl88

Crystal
Jun 4, 2009
Sunny state
Record the name and phone number of her building manager or whoever you spoke to that confirmed she signed the package, also the date that you called. I think the buyer is busy since you say she is powerseller and she probably won't mind paying some small change for postage due. The bottom line is you have the guy to confirm that the package is picked up by the buyer already.

giagnm

O.G.
Feb 11, 2009
Bag Heaven
Call USPS (1-800-275-8777) and speak to customer service. I had to do that when the tracking did not update on the website. I gave the agent my delivery confirmation number and she was able to tell me the date and time of delivery.

Oct 29, 2006
Los Angeles
htl88: That's a good idea. The building also has records of when packages were signed for and I can ask them for a copy.

giagnm: I did call customer service and the problem is that the last time the package was in the hands of USPS, it wasn't delivered: it was held at the apartment concierge, which apparently didn't count as "delivered" because it still had postage due. I still don't quite understand how that works (or who the postage eventually gets paid to). The guy I talked to on the phone from the apt building said that the night manager is in charge of signing out the packages.

Oct 29, 2006
Los Angeles
Okay, so the buyer just gave me positive feedback so I guess was worried for nothing! I guess she didn't care about paying the excess postage -- who knows! Maybe this is good karma payback for last week when I overcharged someone $2.50 for shipping and decided to refund them for it :P.

thepoppet

wind sylph
Jul 25, 2010
Upon a Zephyr High
Even though she hasn't asked for it, I would still PayPal the buyer the extra postage since you have her PP info as a good faith practice. And just add a note about what it is.