Delicate special pieces vs sturdy every-day?

May 16, 2020
I have been looking at purses (again lol) & wondering if I should go with a buttery pale lambskin that is delicate but oh so soft & pretty . It will obviously be more of a special occasion bag ; or go with a more durable calfskin every day bag.
That got me thinking about how worthwhile it is to have delicate things. For example, my husband surprised me with beautiful bone china dishes. I love them but also dread one getting broken (kids and all) and they are not dishwasher safe. So they get used maybe 2x a year. The rest of the time I use cheap thick dishes.
Dh wants to know why I don't use it more often; what's the point of having it.
And it is true, why bother spending so much money for the dishes (or new purse) to sit in a box?
On the other hand, there is something so special about having these delicate items.
What are your thoughts about buying durable every day vs delicate special occasion items?

On the H forum we've literally just been thinking about this. https://forum.purseblog.com/threads/the-2020-squaring-h-cost-per-wear-v-hg-thread.1036423/

I think, so long as you don't have too many 'just for best items' it's OK, plus, you obviously need some robust everyday items to take the strain.

I just bought a Gucci 1955 in bright velvet stripes. I knew when I bought it that it was a special occasion bag (or in this pandemic make an occasion bag) but I have no regrets. On the other hand it helps having a trusty, an H Clemence (grainy, durable leather) Evelyne in my wardrobe. I know I can carry it in all weathers (I carry it with an inside pouch) and everywhere no problem.

Make ppl jealous or hate me on sight? What? I never said any of these things so idk why you would say something so insulting.
I was just trying to get opinions on whether having elegant/delicate/less durable items are worth having even if used less.

That can apply to many things like clothes, (silk blouse vs polyester) dishes, handbags, etc etc.

Reactions: Christofle
Been thinking about this more and more and considering selling off my lambskin bag as I haven't used it since Feb of this year. Could be getting more love elsewhere. Holding back as it was a special gift from DH. Won't do it again though probably. To me a bit of a waste of money.

Reactions: A bottle of Red
I have been looking at purses (again lol) & wondering if I should go with a buttery pale lambskin that is delicate but oh so soft & pretty . It will obviously be more of a special occasion bag ; or go with a more durable calfskin every day bag.
That got me thinking about how worthwhile it is to have delicate things. For example, my husband surprised me with beautiful bone china dishes. I love them but also dread one getting broken (kids and all) and they are not dishwasher safe. So they get used maybe 2x a year. The rest of the time I use cheap thick dishes.
Dh wants to know why I don't use it more often; what's the point of having it.
And it is true, why bother spending so much money for the dishes (or new purse) to sit in a box?
On the other hand, there is something so special about having these delicate items.
What are your thoughts about buying durable every day vs delicate special occasion items?
I put delicate porcelain and stemware and george Jensen silver in the dishwasher. But that’s just me. I’d rather use what I love and if something chips or breaks, so be it. I did get more sturdy apilco plates and they go unused! YMMV

I think there's room for both. Some slg and bags I treat like royalty but that's because I'm thinking that particular style might not be made again or they actually aren't made anymore. But overall I think utility items are made to be used. I agree with 880.

Two tips generally:
Don't buy utility items that you can't afford to replace without putting a strain on your economy. Especially if you have kids and animals.

Buy nice lamps! Lamps are safely high up (generally), can be gorgeous to look at and the right one can bring an instant glow (ha!) and lift to a room. I have lamps I love as much as my bags. Come to think of it I have a lot more lamps than I have bags!

I'd be careful with floor lamps, though. I have a much loved floor lamp from BSweden by Gunnel Svensson. Two (2!) times one of my little darlings has knocked this lamp over after getting caught up in the cables, despite our best precautions. Luckily the little lamp slayer was never hurt but we had to replace both lamps twice. I think it's just something you have to be prepared for with kids and animals around "dainty" objects.

Also, please come visit us, everyone interested in interior design, designer furniture or secondhand finds on this thread

Manhattan floor lamp. Intact :smile:
manhattan.JPG