Definitions?

Great thread.

What I noticed about Nappa Umbria leather is that its colors have tonal variances compared with regular Nappa. I have a bag in Old Petra Nappa Umbria and compared to pieces in the same color but in regular Nappa, the color is less uniform--but definitely interesting and maybe a little more rustic!

i believe nappa umbria is nappa that has a wax coating, making the leather stiffer and more dull than regular nappa. tomas maier is really into leather that changes as it ages and i believe the nappa umbria is supposed to darken and patina in a really lovely way. i agree with 24f that colors in nappa umbria have much more tonal variation than colors in nappa. i'm not sure what part of the process contributes to this.

cutiekiara, i believe the regular veneta comes only in nappa. the only exception i am aware of is the grommeted hobo (which is no longer in production) which was made in deerskin which has more surface texture and is thicker (and more durable) than nappa.

i will throw one more piece of leather info out there but it's not for the faint of heart: bv has also used horse hide. i have a limited edition piece (posted in the bv collections thread) that is made of horse hide. i love horses and was horrified to hear this (the sa felt compelled to ask me several times if i was ok with this to make sure i still wanted it), but i had to have it anyway. i don't know if they used horse hide in any other pieces.

kicks, isn`t the horse hide like a really sturdy material? i know that the thought of having a horse made into a bag is horribel for some people, but i`ve heard that when it comes to durability this is one of the best materials...

and also, bv used "cavallino" in previous seasons, which translates as "pony" but in reality is calfskin

a new bag misteriously appeared on the bv-sale site, a model which i`ve never seen before.

and guess what it says as material: asino! this would translate as donkey! now they`re even using donkey-skin or hide or however you`d call it???

What? Something I actually know about? ;)

Horsehide is said to be more durable than calfskin but I'm not sure that can actually be substantiated.

Shell cordovan is actually the "rarer" horse leather. It is currently only produced by a couple people worldwide (Horween being the primary US supplier). It is a membrane that is found beneath the skin of a horse, on its flanks. It is non-porous by comparison to traditional leather, and more durable. Alden and Allen Edmonds are the only two US shoe manufacturers that make shoes/accessories out of it (of course, there are Spanish, English, Italian companies that do but I won't get into that).

Hope that helps.

I am bumping this because I like the idea of bags for colour and leather reference.

unfortunately my knowledge isn't that great, YET! also, is it possible that a colour looks different in nappa than in deerskin?

anyway, can you tell me what colour you think this is? (I am a bit confused because bluefly refers to the first as light brown and the second as walnut - and I thought they were both NOCE?)

Attachments

• bv deerskin lightbrown bluefly.jpg
    bv deerskin lightbrown bluefly.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 63
  • bv noce briefcase.jpg
    bv noce briefcase.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 65
hey lara0112, to me both of the bags look as if they were noce...as someone posted already, the colors always seem to differ slightly according to the material...nappa umbria tends to show the colors very richly and dark and more irregularly while the nappa or deerskin shows them a lot more "muted"...

i believe nappa umbria is nappa that has a wax coating, making the leather stiffer and more dull than regular nappa...i agree with 24f that colors in nappa umbria have much more tonal variation than colors in nappa. i'm not sure what part of the process contributes to this.

:yes: Characteristics of Nappa Umbria is that it looks more matte and waxy as compared to Nappa leather. It also gives a 3 dimensional looks, which is why colours have more tonal variation.

i believe the nappa umbria is supposed to darken and patina in a really lovely way.

I think it actually lightens with exposure to the sun. Which is why it's recommended that we should try to avoid not only water and oil, but also sunlight, and store our bags in the their dustbags when not in use.

i will throw one more piece of leather info out there but it's not for the faint of heart: bv has also used horse hide. i have a limited edition piece (posted in the bv collections thread) that is made of horse hide. i love horses and was horrified to hear this (the sa felt compelled to ask me several times if i was ok with this to make sure i still wanted it), but i had to have it anyway. i don't know if they used horse hide in any other pieces.

:wtf: This is the first I've heard of horse hide being used for BV! You are brave!

Some of these have been covered before, but thought to give a complete overview for the Fall/ Winter 2007 colours:

Azulejos - bright blue
Blond - beige
Bronzo - metaliic bronze
Camel - light brown, less warm than Noce
Carmino - red
Favourite - salmon pink
Ferro - metallic silver
Ottone - metallic gold
Regent - bright green
Uniform - olive brown

:smile: