Define "Cocktail Dress"

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. Can any of you fabulous ladies offer a description of what you'd see as a "cocktail dress"? Is it the same thing as a little black dress?

2. It can be a LBD.
    Typically, it is defined as a party dress for semiformal occasions whose length varies according to the current style.

3. I don't think there is a real definition, but I'd just say something you would wear to a dressy party in the evening... or the equivalent of a male in a suit with no tie or dress pants and a jacket maybe?

4. I would say it's a non-full-length dress in an evening-appropriate fabric

5. ^i agree with piggy. i was gonna say that but not as well said :P

6. Somebody has a classic example in their avatar, but no, it doesn't have to be black. Red, blue, peacock, metallics -- I've seen them in all colors.

7. Instead of an ask jeeves or ask google website, we need an ask piggy thread! I have never met anyone more knowlegable and articulate when it comes to all things fashion. I know you are in finance but I swear one day people will be quoting you alongside all the other fahion icons.

8. a dress at or above the knee...usually the LBD

9. An evening dress that is not full length. An LBD can be transformed into cocktail with appropriate accessories (jewelry, small clutch, a silk wrap around the shoulders).

10. mocha.lover is the member I was thinking of with the dress in their avatar.