Defending authenticity & PayPal

joliu

O.G.
Aug 16, 2007
Hi,

I recently sold an LV bag on eBay to a buyer who now says she's unsure of its authenticity. I paid to have CarolDiva authenticate and the buyer still does not feel comfortable. I do not want to accept a return. Has anyone dealt with buyer's remorse as a seller? Did you go through a PayPal dispute? Who has to pay for the official authenticity letter?

Thanks in advance.

I personally haven't gone through this situation, but I do know that you have to pay for the authenticity check with letterhead in order to prove that the bag is genuine. It's true that CD has been known to make mistakes in the past, but it's usually not LV. Have you authenticated the bag here for confirmation? Perhaps if you show your buyer the letter and the authentication responses here, she will believe you. Good luck! Oh, and if she does open a case and you have the letter proving authenticity, eBay/PayPal will not have grounds to approve a return.

This is such a tough call and an awful situation to be in. If she was having buyers remorse though, why not just file SNAD? Instead they give you the headache and make you pay the extra funds.

I hope it works out for you.

Thank you so much for your responses.

FYI, I just talked to PayPal to anticipate the process. It appears that a letter from CarolDiva would be sufficient. It's such a pain though, so I hope the buyer doesn't put me through this but I am prepared to do what I have to do!

I just posted a thread about a similar situation I'm having. Long story, but I got a lv from a VERY trusted friend. I'm not a designer expert and am new to selling, and I started it really low just to get my feet wet since it was my first designer sale. I unfortunately did not get it authenticated, and the buyer claims it's a really bad fake worth only a few dollars (I was confident it was real but I could have been wrong since I'm so new to this, but that's DEFINITELY a lie) and I've looked into fake bags and am finding out sometimes people with buyer's remorse take pictures of/send back a fake bag when they actually received a real one. I'm going to need some encouragement to keep doing this - not a good first experience.

I was confident it was real but I could have been wrong since I'm so new to this, but that's DEFINITELY a lie

You do have to know 100% that the bag is authentic before selling it. It's part of eBay's rules about designer handbag sales. It's a good idea to have it authenticated here or with CarolDiva before even listing it.

I just posted a thread about a similar situation I'm having. Long story, but I got a lv from a VERY trusted friend. I'm not a designer expert and am new to selling, and I started it really low just to get my feet wet since it was my first designer sale. I unfortunately did not get it authenticated, and the buyer claims it's a really bad fake worth only a few dollars (I was confident it was real but I could have been wrong since I'm so new to this, but that's DEFINITELY a lie) and I've looked into fake bags and am finding out sometimes people with buyer's remorse take pictures of/send back a fake bag when they actually received a real one. I'm going to need some encouragement to keep doing this - not a good first experience.

Sorry to hear about your situation. Perhaps you had taken enough distinct pictures of your bag so that any other bag that is returned to you would be obvious. I would call PayPal (they were really nice) and find out what you would have to do to prevail in a dispute.

Good luck and keep us posted!

BTW, you can still have CarolDiva verify authenticity of your bag. Just pay the $6 fee and send her a link to your ended listing. This is what I did.

OP: I posted my answer under the LV thread (original thread). I think it is good that you have it under here and will get more help.

Posters-I think we should focus on OP's problem and not on the laurarh. OP acyually paid to have her bag authenticated and is taking the right steps. The other poster has some serious problems on her hands and made some big ebay NO NOs (stealing pics and doesn't even know if it is authentic)

Thank you so much for your responses.

FYI, I just talked to PayPal to anticipate the process. It appears that a letter from CarolDiva would be sufficient. It's such a pain though, so I hope the buyer doesn't put me through this but I am prepared to do what I have to do!

Looks like you have done everything you should have. If the buyer is still uncomfortable let them open a Paypal dispute. Otherwise I, personally, won't take back authenticated merchandise.

p-WA