Defective Mother of Pearl 5 Motif Bracelet?

msd31

O.G.
May 12, 2007
Hi everyone, I would love some advice.

I recently had a 5 motif mother of pearl bracelet shipped to me from Neimans. Upon inspection, I saw a spot on the right of the motif that looked like a scratch but when I shine a light at it, the spot seems to be in the mother of pearl itself. I had to send it back because I requested 6 links off but only 4 were taken off in error.

I am unhappy about this spot but the sales associate said he cannot see it when he cleaned it, ( I tried to clean it myself as well, it did not go away). I asked him if he could request that motif be changed out but he then insists that it is a natural part of the mother of pearl and does not affect the integrity of the stone. All the other motifs were completely smooth on both sides except this. I feel that the bracelet should be smooth and spot free. Should I request another be sent to me? Please advise. Thank you!

Attachments

• spot.jpg
    spot.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 838
Last edited:
I bought a 10-motifs MOP YG necklace from the boutique (not NM) and a couple of the motifs are not smooth.

Was told that the imperfections are because of the nature of the stone (NACRE) and no two stones are alike.

Reactions: msd31
Hi everyone, I would love some advice.

I recently had a 5 motif mother of pearl bracelet shipped to me from Neimans. Upon inspection, I saw a spot on the right of the motif that looked like a scratch but when I shine a light at it, the spot seems to be in the mother of pearl itself. I had to send it back because I requested 6 links off but only 4 were taken off in error.

I am unhappy about this spot but the sales associate said he cannot see it when he cleaned it, ( I tried to clean it myself as well, it did not go away). I asked him if he could request that motif be changed out but he then insists that it is a natural part of the mother of pearl and does not affect the integrity of the stone. All the other motifs were completely smooth on both sides except this. I feel that the bracelet should be smooth and spot free. Should I request another be sent to me? Please advise. Thank you!

It is pretty hard to tell from your picture since there are a few white specs here and there (dust perhaps). I had a 20 motif VA MOP with a motif that had a few pits in it. Even though my SA was overseas (at the time we had no VCA in my country), she asked me to send clear pictures of the motif to her (she is a certified gemologist). Once she took a look she got it couriered back to her and they contacted Paris to get a replacement motif delivered to the region. After a few months, she deemed the process too long and sent me a brand new necklace instead. Perhaps try bringing it into a VCA boutique to have it examined. I have bought many things from that boutique so perhaps it helped things a little...

It's hard to tell with your picture. That being said, as the costumer you should get a product you're 100% satisfied with, especially in those price range. Notwithstanding the default or not, if you feel uneasy about the good you received, simply ask the SA to kindly send you another one. Cheers

I think you'll always find SOMETHING every MOP stone, since it's a product of nature. My sweet Alhambra MOP necklace has white "spots" where the MOP is "clipped" to ensure it doesn't fall out of the golden setting. I never figured out what has caused that either, it just came right out of the store like that. IMG_1493986665.191616.jpg

If anyone knows btw, enlighten me. :smile:
If it bothers you too much, I would just return it. Good luck with your decision, either way it's probably still a beautiful unique piece! :smile: