Deerskin bags

missmoimoi

Dec 5, 2009
I still check out Botkier once in a while at The Bay downtown. This week, a black on black leather bag caught my eye: Mercer satchel. The leather feels GREAT. Anyway, I googled it and it's made from deerskin. I want a black one and also cobalt.

The Bay only carries the black - I LOVE black leather with gunmetal hardware!

The Leroy satchel is made from deerskin too - this stuff feels fantastic. It's very thick and very soft. It doesn't feel as delicate as lambskin but that's just my assumption. The deerskin is nicely pebbled.

i still check out botkier once in a while at the bay downtown. This week, a black on black leather bag caught my eye: Mercer satchel. The leather feels great. Anyway, i googled it and it's made from deerskin. I want a black one and also cobalt.

The bay only carries the black - i love black leather with gunmetal hardware!

The leroy satchel is made from deerskin too - this stuff feels fantastic. It's very thick and very soft. It doesn't feel as delicate as lambskin but that's just my assumption. The deerskin is nicely pebbled.

ImageUploadedByPurseForum1413012025.162097.jpgImageUploadedByPurseForum1413012053.777032.jpg

I still check out Botkier once in a while at The Bay downtown. This week, a black on black leather bag caught my eye: Mercer satchel. The leather feels GREAT. Anyway, I googled it and it's made from deerskin. I want a black one and also cobalt.

The Bay only carries the black - I LOVE black leather with gunmetal hardware!

The Leroy satchel is made from deerskin too - this stuff feels fantastic. It's very thick and very soft. It doesn't feel as delicate as lambskin but that's just my assumption. The deerskin is nicely pebbled.

You are correct. Deer is not delicate at all ! It's tough and even softer than lamb because it is so thick. It drapes softly, so you'd get a nice slouch going, but easy to take care of and will not stain from raindrops like some leathers do, either. The texture is fantastic. Why do you think First Nations wore deerskin,eh !
Lamb tears easily, shows scratches, and becomes worn and shabby quickly, Soft but cheap. Good deerskin is very expensive durable material, no comparison.
Now I'm think about that gorgeous Cobalt !

Reactions: mingokatz
Deerskin is great. I have an old, OLD OLD OLD deerskin bag that I, uh, "borrowed" (lol) from my aunt's closet and it can withstand anything. Hurricanes, World War 3, the plague, my gramma's old deerskin bag can handle it

You are correct. Deer is not delicate at all ! It's tough and even softer than lamb because it is so thick. It drapes softly, so you'd get a nice slouch going, but easy to take care of and will not stain from raindrops like some leathers do, either. The texture is fantastic. Why do you think First Nations wore deerskin,eh !
Lamb tears easily, shows scratches, and becomes worn and shabby quickly, Soft but cheap. Good deerskin is very expensive durable material, no comparison.

Hey! Thanks for sharing your knowledge. The Bay doesn't stock the cobalt and I can't find it online other than Botkier website - don't really want to import the darn thing what with shipping, duty & our taxes. Eventually, I would like to have the Mercer satchel in black and cobalt :graucho:

Thanks again for your post. I've been noticing how popular lambskin has become when buying REALLY expensive handbags. If I pay a lot of $ for a handbag, I'm always relieved to discover that it's cow or calfskin. I have never come across Deerskin until now with one exception: Dior deerskin Granville Polochon - I missed the boat anyway because I think that particular bag might have been from 2013 or earlier and it's not like I have a single Dior bag either.

But yes...I wonder if the designers are saving $ by using lambskin? Msrp seems to be unrelated - it's uber $$$$.

Deerskin is great. I have an old, OLD OLD OLD deerskin bag that I, uh, "borrowed" (lol) from my aunt's closet and it can withstand anything. Hurricanes, World War 3, the plague, my gramma's old deerskin bag can handle it

:roflmfao::roflmfao::roflmfao: the only other deerskin bag that I've come across is the Dior Granville polochon (but I don't have one).

Hello again - how would you compare goatskin, full grain cow or calfskin to deerskin? If deerskin is the most durable yet soft, what's #2 and #3? I've been trying to learn more about leather :biggrin:

I agree. Check out also Bottega Veneta's handbags, if I remember well they are made with deerskin! :smile: