declaring more than 10k cash in Korea custom

Jamietan123

May 5, 2019
Hi again , has anyone brought in more than 10k to korea in cash and declare that money and being stopped?
I’m really scare they might confiscate my money? Or will they understand it’s for surgery purpose?

Because my surgery is on the day or next day so I don’t have the time to withdraw atm.

Please help me!!

Hi again , has anyone brought in more than 10k to korea in cash and declare that money and being stopped?
I’m really scare they might confiscate my money? Or will they understand it’s for surgery purpose?

Because my surgery is on the day or next day so I don’t have the time to withdraw atm.

Please help me!!
Bring a bank statement showing where you got the money from, ie cash withdrawal and foreign exchange receipt. Bring hospital details of the surgery and cost. Yes declare but bring evidence it is not from money laundering. Hopefully you can explain on the customs declaration too.

Or bring under 10k and pay the difference on your cc.

Bring a bank statement showing where you got the money from, ie cash withdrawal and foreign exchange receipt. Bring hospital details of the surgery and cost. Yes declare but bring evidence it is not from money laundering. Hopefully you can explain on the customs declaration too.

Or bring under 10k and pay the difference on your cc.

Do you know wether it is 10k usd or just 10k in your currency (like £10,000 if you are from the UK)?

Please help me!!
Heyy, what currency? Best thing to do is get the largest denominations in whichever currency, divide them (don`t bundle them all together), put some in your purse/wallet & the rest in two envelopes. Stash the envelopes in your bag in between your paperwork/side pockets, no one will notice. U can take upto 15k. Make sure you aren`t carrying any illegal stuff in your bag that will prompt them to search your bag e.g. fluids, a knife etc.

Last edited:
Heyy, what currency? Best thing to do is get the largest denominations in whichever currency, divide them (don`t bundle them all together), put some in your purse/wallet & the rest in two envelopes. U can take upto 15k & no one will notice.

I think its just a good idea to declare it even if you probably wont get caught. Its not that hard and you dont risk loosing thousands of dollars.

Heyy, what currency? Best thing to do is get the largest denominations in whichever currency, divide them (don`t bundle them all together), put some in your purse/wallet & the rest in two envelopes. U can take upto 15k & no one will notice.

Your bags don’t go through the scanner or anything at customs, so you’re right that no one will probably notice. However, I recommend declaring because they can confiscate it otherwise. It literally only takes 5 minutes to declare it. (maybe more if there’s a line).

I brought $16,000USD with me in $100 bills so I had 2 envelops filled with cash in my fanny pack. On your flight to Korea, you will receive a customs form. Check “Yes” to the question if you have over $10,000 in cash. This is literally all I did. I had no other paper work aside from the customs form given to me on the plane (or can be obtained near customs if you fall asleep).

When I arrived at the customs (Gimpo airport), I gave them the slip. The officer told me to go to the left where it had more security people. I approached the more specified customs person, and she just asked me the reason and asked me to show her the cash. She didnt count it or anything. Literally just a 5 second peek, and she laughed whole heartedly when I told her I was going for cosmetic surgery. She marked some paper. I then returned to the first customs officer and gave them the paper. Super easy and they’re nice about it. I can’t imagine having trouble unless you’re bringing an obscene amount of cash.

Your bags don’t go through the scanner or anything at customs, so you’re right that no one will probably notice. However, I recommend declaring because they can confiscate it otherwise. It literally only takes 5 minutes to declare it. (maybe more if there’s a line).

I brought $16,000USD with me in $100 bills so I had 2 envelops filled with cash in my fanny pack. On your flight to Korea, you will receive a customs form. Check “Yes” to the question if you have over $10,000 in cash. This is literally all I did. I had no other paper work aside from the customs form given to me on the plane (or can be obtained near customs if you fall asleep).

When I arrived at the customs (Gimpo airport), I gave them the slip. The officer told me to go to the left where it had more security people. I approached the more specified customs person, and she just asked me the reason and asked me to show her the cash. She didnt count it or anything. Literally just a 5 second peek, and she laughed whole heartedly when I told her I was going for cosmetic surgery. She marked some paper. I then returned to the first customs officer and gave them the paper. Super easy and they’re nice about it. I can’t imagine having trouble unless you’re bringing an obscene amount of cash.
omg! Thanks I think I’m just gonna bring 15k cash then. I thought they will go through your bank statement and all. And if they ask me where I got the money from. And obviously I saved it from my years of working?! LOL thanks okay now I’m feeling ease!!! Thanks!! OH BTW so if I’m bringing 15k but in won should be fine right.

omg! Thanks I think I’m just gonna bring 15k cash then. I thought they will go through your bank statement and all. And if they ask me where I got the money from. And obviously I saved it from my years of working?! LOL thanks okay now I’m feeling ease!!! Thanks!! OH BTW so if I’m bringing 15k but in won should be fine right.

Np! :smile: I was really nervous about this too. I should also mention that I’m an East Asian female. I don’t know the political climate in Korea, but I know some people of certain ethnicities have faced microaggressions at the airport in the USA. Not sure if some people may experience it in Korean airport.

I’m not sure about bringing 15K in won actually.. but Myeongdong has really great exchange rates (near Chinese Embassy). Some currency exchange stores are opened 24/7 and even weekends. Their rates are comparable to the spot rate.

I think its just a good idea to declare it even if you probably wont get caught. Its not that hard and you dont risk loosing thousands of dollars.
No, don`t bring Won. You`ll need a truck to transport 15K in won:P. Bring US$ or euros