Decisions! Decisions! Boots or Bag? New or Old?

jyyanks

Sep 15, 2013
II'm still on ban island but 'm currently planning and saving for my next H purchases. I'm hoping for one more "smaller" purchase at the end of this year and then hopefully, a big purchase in the beginning of 2015.

First question - Boots or Bag?

For the smaller purchase, I'm debating between a GP or jumping boots. Why? I can't afford any more big bag purchases this year but am hoping to get a new Kelly in 2015. A GP purchase will help my relationship with my SA and fill a hole in my collection as I don't have an H tote bag and could use one for business travel that can fit my laptop.

However, I can't stop thinking about those lovely jumping boots - especially because I've yet to find the perfect riding boots. I saw them in swift and box (red and black) and they are TDF! The calves won't be a problem as I have skinny calves but since I'm petite, I will need to look for the shorter height. Also, I wear orthotics (they fit in my Choo's) so not sure if these boots will work. Can anyone chime in?

Second question - new Kelly or vintage passé guide?

I'm saving for a Kelly in 2015 - not sure I will be offered one but I'm preparing. Ideally I want BE, especially since someone mentioned they will make it a more permanent color. If BE is not available, I'm also open to etain or Rouge H though I want to hold out for BE. However, I saw a vintage passé guide that is TDF in a color I love. I know these bags are rare so I'm tempted to grab it and I already have a vintage BBK. However, not sure where this bag will fit in my life? Not sure if I can use it daily (which I plan to do with the Kelly) or if it will become a "special occasion" bag which I don't need. Any thoughts?

Thank you for listening to my long rant. I would love any advice as you guys are the best in helping me rationalize.

I think you should go for the Garden Party, if you need a tote for travel(and if you want an Hermès tote). If you decide to go for the boots, do you think you'd wear it often? I mean, which would you get more usage out of, the boots or the Garden Party? And I vote for the BE Kelly!

II'm still on ban island but 'm currently planning and saving for my next H purchases. I'm hoping for one more "smaller" purchase at the end of this year and then hopefully, a big purchase in the beginning of 2015.

First question - Boots or Bag?

For the smaller purchase, I'm debating between a GP or jumping boots. Why? I can't afford any more big bag purchases this year but am hoping to get a new Kelly in 2015. A GP purchase will help my relationship with my SA and fill a hole in my collection as I don't have an H tote bag and could use one for business travel that can fit my laptop.

However, I can't stop thinking about those lovely jumping boots - especially because I've yet to find the perfect riding boots. I saw them in swift and box (red and black) and they are TDF! The calves won't be a problem as I have skinny calves but since I'm petite, I will need to look for the shorter height. Also, I wear orthotics (they fit in my Choo's) so not sure if these boots will work. Can anyone chime in?

Second question - new Kelly or vintage passé guide?

I'm saving for a Kelly in 2015 - not sure I will be offered one but I'm preparing. Ideally I want BE, especially since someone mentioned they will make it a more permanent color. If BE is not available, I'm also open to etain or Rouge H though I want to hold out for BE. However, I saw a vintage passé guide that is TDF in a color I love. I know these bags are rare so I'm tempted to grab it and I already have a vintage BBK. However, not sure where this bag will fit in my life? Not sure if I can use it daily (which I plan to do with the Kelly) or if it will become a "special occasion" bag which I don't need. Any thoughts?

Thank you for listening to my long rant. I would love any advice as you guys are the best in helping me rationalize.

I'd go for the boots. I love the boots. I want a pair myself. As for GP....are you ok travelling with an open top bag? How big is your laptop? I have a smaller thinkpad tablet version but still a full on laptop I carry in my GP once in a while for work. I have to unsnap the sides so everything would fit in the GP. With the sides unsnapped! things are easily spilled if you tipped the GP accidentally. My preference is still carrying a separate proper light weight laptop bag.

I vote for the Kelly.

Hi. I have the boots in several colors and LOVE them. They are a lot more hardworking than other boots I've had so for me, they've proven to be great investments. The calves area is roomy especially if you have skinny calves, so I think your orthotics will fit ok.

I LOOOVE unique vintage H bags and I'm a huge fan of the passe guide, so if you see a passe guide in a colour you love then I'd say go for it! In my case, I am increasingly drawn to the less ubiquitous Hermes bags, more under the radar H designs and the Passe Guide is both a classic AND under the radar chic.

I have also been on the hunt for a passe guide that makes my heart sing (I can't get over all those gorgeous passe guides at the London Leather Forever exhibit 2 years ago).

I also think you can still get a Kelly in the future but it will probably be more difficult to find a passe guide in the colour you want.

As for getting maximum use, I guess you could compare a Passe Guide to a Constance in terms of functionality and usage. I definitely use my Constances a lot and I find that they work well as daily bags (sometimes easier to get into than a Kelly when you're in a rush!) With (relatively) smaller bags, you do have to edit what you put in which sometimes works for me because I'm forced to only include the essentials.

If you wear boots, go for the boots.
The boots are made by hand, so each pair fits a little differently. I was like Goldilocks in the boutique, as I spent two days going back and forth among four pairs to get the perfect fit. Now I'm planing on a second pair, because these are the perfect boots.

The Garden Party will always be available, you might consider a pre-loved GP later.

As for the Kelly or Passé Guide, stay focused on the new Kelly, it will be worth the wait.
Don't be distracted by the Rare or Now aspects of the PG, I'm sure it's lovely, but it sounds like the K is your goal, and it's a very good goal, indeed!

I would vote for the boots too .. as I want a pair myself too .Although GP is a less expensive bag than other H bags, I will still baby mine...

and Q2... vote goes to Kelly ..

good luck

Go for the Jumping Boots, it's beautifully made & makes you feel very special :smile:
Garden Party is very ordinary and easily avail. The style is so common even in other brands/no brand.

Jumping boots in Swift should fit you , I could never fit into the Box boots due to my calves then I tried the Swift ones and they are perfect , so comfy and wore them all winter cant wait to get them out this year love them.

I vote boots because I get the sense that part of the reason you want a GP is because it's "within reach" (both in terms of funds and availability) and so that your SA doesn't forget you when you want the Kelly next year. IMO, not a good enough reason to get the GP. It also sounds like you're more into the boots.

Thank you for the overwhelming responses. You've all made some great points that I need to think about.

snarfy & Marabella8 - I think an open top tote should be ok. I currently travel with an LV never full that I put my laptop (Mackbook) kindle and iPad in as well as a wallet. I usually go on shorter business trips and prefer a casual open tote for easy access to my stuff.

Lesboitesorange - I probably use the boots more because I can wear them on weekends, travel, even to work on casual Fridays :smile: Purselover88 I'm in the NE so boot season spans from Oct-March. GP would probably be used mostly for travel (depending on size) and I travel about 2-3x/quarter.

However, as kewave and Monceau said, the GP is readily available and I do have Neverfull that fits the need of a catch-all so the jumping boots are calling my name. It's going to come down to fit and if the boutique has them in my size. Ladyjane & Leah - thanks for commenting on the leather and the fit. I'm leaning towards swift because of the softness.

Then I'm going to stress about the color though burgundy is calling to me :smile: This one may be a toss up depending on what's available at the boutique. If there is a GP in a color that I love, it might go that way but if I see the boots and they actually fit, boots will most likely win. I'm staying on Ban Island until October (just in time for the meet up) so hoping there will be some good choices then.

The Kelly and the PG are stumping me. As Monceau stated - the BE Kelly is the goal and I do like to keep my eye on the prize. There is no guarantee that I will be offered a Kelly in the size/color I want but I can be patient. Kelly is the "practical" choice (meaning I would use it more) but as Leah said, PG is so rare and beautiful and a bag I always admire when I see a picture. I have to think about if I will use it day to day as I do prefer bigger bags and have the Evelyn and Dalvy as my "smaller" bags. I rarely use the dalvy as it is because I don't "lunch" much and tend to carry my bigger bags with me to work.

I'm sure the PG will be snatched up but I may have to stare at it some more before I decide. It's vintage (70's) but in amazing shape and as Leah mentioned so under the radar and elegant. The other downside to the PG, is I would have to buy it now and that would put my other purchase on hold and I would have to sell a bag to fund it.

Anyway, thank you all for your opinions, I have a lot to think about as I stay on Ban Island :smile: You've all made some really really great points which I wouldn't have thought of on my own so THANK YOU!!!

Elliesaurus - you hit the nail on the head. You're right - the GP is more about reach and reminding my SA that I want a Kelly. I love boots. I have tons but haven't found the perfect pair of riding boots. If I can find a pair of Jumping boots that fit and look great, I would probably stop buying boots every season!!! Thank you for your insight and your honesty. Sometimes, someone else needs to say it for me to realize the truth!