Decision made, help needed!

astronette

Nov 11, 2010
Ok, I have made the decision about my first Birkin: it will be a black box calf Birkin with ghw, 35 or 40. (Probably 35.)

When do you think is the best time to make an order / find one in the store? I don't have an H store in my country, but I'm travelling to Nice in february or march. Is that a good time?

Has anyone been to Hermès in Nice? How is the stock there? And the SA:s? Are they nice or snobby? (well they should be nice in Nice!:P)

Oh and does flirting with a SA help to get the bag? I've seen some very handsome H SA:s :graucho: (Although I gotta say Prada has the hottest ones..:lol:)

I usually get good service everywhere, as I dress well, and I'm well behaved, and especially at the H stores I've visited, I've felt like I belong there, if you know what I mean :smile: Do you think it'll help? I haven't asked about the bags though, just mostly tried on different scarves. I have only purchased one carre from H before. Will it be a problem?

And what is the situation with the whole waitlist / order / bags kept in the back of the store thing? I've gotten the impression from the forum, that during the past year or two, it's gotten a little easier to get a Birkin even for someone who is not a VIP in H:s books.

I tried to search info about this from old threads, but didn't find enough..Your help is very much appreciated, thank you in advance!! :smooch:

xxx, astronette

"Oh and does flirting with a SA help to get the bag? I've seen some very handsome H SA:s :graucho: (Although I gotta say Prada has the hottest ones..:lol:)"

:lolots:OP... let me know if it works.

I don't know, but I've read a couple of women saying that their DH's had better luck in H than they did -- maybe it does help.:P

I don't know, but I've read a couple of women saying that their DH's had better luck in H than they did -- maybe it does help.:P

Haha, yes, as most SA:s are women I think :biggrin: Well, I've been a SA in a fashion boutique, and I loved it when handsome men came to pick presents for their wives :graucho:

I'm not married though, so I better just try to get a male SA :biggrin: I've also noticed that some older SA ladies are very nice to young girls like me, very patient and understanding, not too pushy like some young female SA:s.

OP means 'original poster'.
It's unlikely though, that you will find Box leather birkins readily available. Good luck on your hunt!

Ohh I see, I thought it was something negative... :noggin:
Sorry, I'm new here, as you probably noticed :lol:

Is it, like, they don't make a lot of them? Humm. Well, I will be patient with this, I'm not in a hurry. Not any Birkin will do, it has to be the Birkin. With the right leather, details, everything. Maybe it'll be easier to get to place an SO when they see that I'm not just after any Birkin, but the bag of my dreams? (Or am I just being too optimistic...? :lol:)

Thanks, luck is needed! :heart:

astronette:

som DHs were more lucky bc most of the male SAs are attracted to men rather than women....:smile:

Black Box Birkin is a holy grail to many and doesn't just sit on Hs shelves waiting to be picked... Yes, it is possible some members were lucky and have purchased Birkins mostly in the most popular leathers (togo, CT, epsom) and colors (such as BJ, Orange or Gold) but even this is called "being very lucky". I myself was "lucky" just once- all the rest of my bags was either PO or purchased from a reputable reseller.

I highly doubt you will be able to come across your dream bag like this, so I would suggest to get in on the next order list (in Austria late January/ early February).

Also, i think all these myths like "older female SAa being nicer or more generous" towards young people is from the so "infamous" book which is indeed very entertaining and such an easy reading, but also has a lot of nonse information in it so I wouldn't go by that... SAs are just like all the rest of us- some are like "this" and some are like "that". There really is no rule... Also, there is always the "what- mood- am -I- in- today?" factor...

Good luck and pls explore this forum, it is vast, but has a lot of valuable information which can't be found anywhere else! :flowers:

astronette:

som DHs were more lucky bc most of the male SAs are attracted to men rather than women....:smile:

Black Box Birkin is a holy grail to many and doesn't just sit on Hs shelves waiting to be picked... Yes, it is possible some members were lucky and have purchased Birkins mostly in the most popular leathers (togo, CT, epsom) and colors (such as BJ, Orange or Gold) but even this is called "being very lucky". I myself was "lucky" just once- all the rest of my bags was either PO or purchased from a reputable reseller.

I highly doubt you will be able to come across your dream bag like this, so I would suggest to get in on the next order list (in Austria late January/ early February).

Also, i think all these myths like "older female SAa being nicer or more generous" towards young people is from the so "infamous" book which is indeed very entertaining and such an easy reading, but also has a lot of nonse information in it so I wouldn't go by that... SAs are just like all the rest of us- some are like "this" and some are like "that". There really is no rule... Also, there is always the "what- mood- am -I- in- today?" factor...

Good luck and pls explore this forum, it is vast, but has a lot of valuable information which can't be found anywhere else! :flowers:

Haha, that is probably true about the DH:s and male SA:s :biggrin:

Well, I just have to be patient. Then, when the lucky day finally comes, it will feel even more special!!! :yahoo:

But should I then go earlier, to get on the list? Isn't it possible to get on the list later? Well, I'm not in a hurry, and I'm anyway going to get some other things from H, so maybe I'll just casually ask about my dream bag while I'm there.

I didn't know that there is myth about older female SA:s being nice to young people, but this is just something I have noticed. Not only at H, but in any stores, older ladies are nice to me. Maybe it has to do with the fact I really enjoy discussing about style and fashion history with mature women, who have a lot of knowledge about it :smile: But of course there are a lot of sweet girls my age, who are very good SA:s and know a lot about style and fashion, but it is not that common.

Thank you for your answer :flowers: Haha, I've been exploring this forum like a maniac :lol:

Irrespective of the type of SA, I find that being yourself is more than enough! They get enough hassle for Birkins as it is, and can spot those who they feel are not really interested in the brand or only interested for the "wrong" reasons.

As for your dream bag, yes it is a desirable combination, and there may be a bit of a wait as Black Box supplies are limited at the moment:
http://forum.purseblog.com/hermes/problem-with-box-leather-613959.html

Assuming you are permitted to place an order, Podium Orders are not being taken at the moment. Also, there may be a debate as to whether Box is actually classed as a Special Order (SO) these days, hence you are unlikely to find one on the shelf (unless you are extremely fortunate or in a place that gets a lot of Birkins) and you won't be able to place an order for a SO unless you have an established relationship.

I may be wrong though.....

My first Birkin was Togo, and it's been banged about a LOT and still looks good as new. A Box Birkin would look very scuffed/scratched and worn as it develops it patina, which may take some time, so be sure it's what you want before you put yourself through a potentially long wait for one.

astronette, forget about the waitlist, myths, male SAs or older female SAs.

Visit a local Hermes store. If not, overseas. As you start on the journey in learning more about H and confiding your interest to a willing and helpful SA, your own journey and tales of story to acquisition will soon prevail. It'd become a memory and an addition of interesting point to your life.

:smile:

box birkin is very classic and unfortunately, quite difficult to get these days.

if you only want THE birkin, then you may consider the reseller route. Not familiar with the OP's country of residence, but i thought PO/SO are typically only offered to VIP clients in most countries, except at FSH?

Good luck!

Availability could be problem the flirting is too funny darling I'm simply nice and that's all and as for the nice store I like it february could be good because the December rush has passed and january serves as a reconstruction month for stocks but truly box will not be easy but take a look ask around and maybe place an order .

HermesFSH: Thank you so much for your opinions and information, I really appreciate it! :flowers: I'm pretty sure it's exactly the box calf that I want, I love how Jane Birkin's box birkin looked like (i think it has been sold for charity). Also, I think Mary-Kate Olsen's Kelly is box calf, I love the look of the leather :P There might be some other leathers too I could like, but it's important that it's totally smooth, and a little stiff, not too slouchy or pebbly. But hopefully an SA can help me with finding the perfect leather for me :smile:

IFFAH: Overseas? You mean usa? Well, I'm not in a hurry with the bag, so if they don't have it in Nice (or Cannes or Monaco if I happen to visit these cities during my trip) and I'm not able to place an order, then I'll just wait for my next travel to someplace that has an H store (as there isn't one where I live), and be happy with the other beautiful things I can find in the store :heart: Thank you so much for your answer :flowers:

hanyeu: I am willing to wait for the bag, I don't want to buy from a reseller. It's not the same thing, as to get it from the store :cloud9: Thanks for your answer!! :balloon:

birkel: Well I wasn't exactly serious with the flirting... I tend to make a joke out of everything :lol: Humm.. sounds good about the timing then :happydance: But I know myself, when I've made my mind about wanting the box calf, no other Birkin will do. Thanks for your answer :flowers: