Deciding on the Best Color for Halzan 31

Karma2018

Jun 29, 2018
Hi Ladies,

I'm going to purchase a Hazan 31. Of all the Hermes bags, it just seems to be the most practical for me. I want to be able to use it as an every day bag. I'm pretty casual, a mother of two, and like to travel under the radar when it comes to luxury items. I'd wear jeans and black boots every day, if I could. Is black just too boring for this bag? And would you use it in summer? Would you use the blues in winter?

I'm a bit torn about colors. My practical side says to choose the black. It had black stitching and I loved it. But there were two blues, which were very pretty. They had contrasting stitching though, which I fear will get dirty. This will be my first new Hermes purchase. My previous purchase was pre-owned, and I still love it, but it needs some TLC.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Black is never boring.
You 'loved' the black, but the blues were just 'pretty'.
Do you really think that you will use the bag in such a way that contrast stitching will get dirty!
If you really care about colour how colour works with your clothes you will appreciate that not all, in this case, 'blues' go together. Once you get into colour if it's not in the same tonal group (I.e. greeny blue, grey blue, purply blue) it might never look absolutely right.
Your own style gives you confidence; save the colour for something else.

Black is never boring.
You 'loved' the black, but the blues were just 'pretty'.
Do you really think that you will use the bag in such a way that contrast stitching will get dirty!
If you really care about colour how colour works with your clothes you will appreciate that not all, in this case, 'blues' go together. Once you get into colour if it's not in the same tonal group (I.e. greeny blue, grey blue, purply blue) it might never look absolutely right.
Your own style gives you confidence; save the colour for something else.

My Blue Jean Victoria, which I bought pre-owned, was clean when I bought it. I carry it a lot, and it looks like it. I went to Hermes and they said they could clean it up and it would look surprisingly like new afterwards. I figure when I get the Halzan, it will have that one cleaned up. I bought it pre-owned and like the color a lot, but have even often wished it was black. I love seeing everyone else's colorful bags, but always go back to wanting black for myself.

I have a Halzan 31 in Alezan, and I find it to be a wonderful year-round, neutral color (and I live in a city with four distinctly different seasons). It’s wonderful with denim, which I wear almost every single day. And the Halzan is my favourite H bag for travel....it has been my travel buddy throughout Europe, the U.S. and Canada. It’s a very secure, under-the-radar bag. Good luck with your choice!

I enjoyed my black halzan with white stitching for a short while. Please check the Ode to Halzan in Clubhouse thread for color ideas. You can neber go wrong with black, but it also is fun in colors like the Evelyne.

I have a Halzan 31 in Alezan, and I find it to be a wonderful year-round, neutral color (and I live in a city with four distinctly different seasons). It’s wonderful with denim, which I wear almost every single day. And the Halzan is my favourite H bag for travel....it has been my travel buddy throughout Europe, the U.S. and Canada. It’s a very secure, under-the-radar bag. Good luck with your choice!

Thank you very much. It looks like such a practical bag with all of the pockets. From what I can tell, it doesn't visibly shout "HERMES" anywhere, does it? This is a concern of mine. I'm modest and don't live in a place where we need to have anyone knowing what we can or cannot afford. I know that's hard for some people to understand and at the same time understand why I want the bag in the first place.

I think it is currently available in gold and toffee, which were both pretty. I'm not sure if those neutral would fit my wardrobe, since most of my shoes and coats are black.

Reactions: DR2014
I enjoyed my black halzan with white stitching for a short while. Please check the Ode to Halzan in Clubhouse thread for color ideas. You can neber go wrong with black, but it also is fun in colors like the Evelyne.

The new black one has black stitching, which excited me when I saw that. I actually thought that for color, maybe I'd eventually get an Evelyne. So, now I'm think that's where I might step out of my comfort zone. And thanks for suggesting Ode to Halzan. I didn't even have my eye on that back. I went in inquiring about the Garden Party, but after hearing my needs and life style I was directed to the Evelyn or Halzan, which would allow me to be hands-free more easily.

Thank you very much. It looks like such a practical bag with all of the pockets. From what I can tell, it doesn't visibly shout "HERMES" anywhere, does it? This is a concern of mine. I'm modest and don't live in a place where we need to have anyone knowing what we can or cannot afford. I know that's hard for some people to understand and at the same time understand why I want the bag in the first place.

I think it is currently available in gold and toffee, which were both pretty. I'm not sure if those neutral would fit my wardrobe, since most of my shoes and coats are black.
It doesn’t scream Hermes at all. I’ve never had anyone identify it as an Hermes bag when I’ve been asked about it. It just looks like a beautiful, well-made bag. And I think gold looks amazing with black (and almost any other color....such a great neutral, year-round). I would honestly go with whatever color makes your heart sing, goes with your wardrobe, and allows you to “fly under” the Hermes radar!

Reactions: Karma2018 and lanit
I love white contrast stitching on bags and have many. I’ve never had the stitching look dirty at all and I don’t think it’s something you should worry about. If you love the bag I say go for it.

Let us know what you decide.

It doesn’t scream Hermes at all. I’ve never had anyone identify it as an Hermes bag when I’ve been asked about it. It just looks like a beautiful, well-made bag. And I think gold looks amazing with black (and almost any other color....such a great neutral, year-round). I would honestly go with whatever color makes your heart sing, goes with your wardrobe, and allows you to “fly under” the Hermes radar!
Thank you for your insight. I've never even thought of gold as a color that would look good with black or with jeans. I'm going to have to consider that. The sales associate I worked with is on vacation until Monday, but they said they'd ring it up under his name. Still, I'd like to work with him again, so they are holding it for me.

Reactions: hclubfan
I love white contrast stitching on bags and have many. I’ve never had the stitching look dirty at all and I don’t think it’s something you should worry about. If you love the bag I say go for it.

Let us know what you decide.

Choosing a color is so difficult. Who would have thought? They are currently holding the black on for me, since it's the only one. Now, I am just completely unsure. Thanks for letting me now about the stitching. I feel like I may be a bit rough on my bags and I don't switch bags often at all.

Reactions: hclubfan