Deciding between two oak Bays from photos, help!!!

pigby

Oct 16, 2008
A fantastic boutique has just sent me photos of the two NVT oak Bays...es that it has in stock, and for some reason I just can't seem to choose one. One candidate has "more obvious grain throughout," the other has "less grain on the flap."

My first instinct was to go with Contestant #1 (love tactile leather, am annoyed by oddly smooth patch on my Roxy flap) but the more I look at the photos the more I wonder how well the grainier bag is going to age. I've seen photos of grainy oak Bays with lovely and supple patinas, but I've also seen some that look like elephant skin after a dust storm. It's possible (very likely) that I'm overthinking this, but the boutique doesn't take returns, so better safe than sorry.

The first two photos are of #1, the next two of #2. Which do you prefer-- opinions are much appreciated!! :flowers:

Attachments

• 1 lit.jpg
    1 lit.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 141
  • 1 nat.jpg
    1 nat.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 108
  • 2 lit.jpg
    2 lit.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 127
  • 2 nat.jpg
    2 nat.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 93
number 1!! but i do love a rough grain... mine is actually rougher than that one! are they both the exact same shade of oak? i find the colour can vary quite a lot between bags.

Definitely the first one! The grain is more even than on the second one.

Just to ease your mind, here are a couple pics of my well patinated, grainy oak Bays. I don't think it looks like elephant skin after a dust storm. :biggrin:

Attachments

• Oak Bays.jpg
    Oak Bays.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 101
  • Oak Bays 4.jpg
    Oak Bays 4.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 99
Pigby, I quite like both but I think No.2 is going to crease on the flaps quicker - it already looks like lines are appearing on the right side of the flap.

The first one looks quite hardy, so based on that I'd go No.1.

Definitely the first one! The grain is more even than on the second one.

Just to ease your mind, here are a couple pics of my well patinated, grainy oak Bays. I don't think it looks like elephant skin after a dust storm. :biggrin:

Ooh your Bays looks lovely klp! I'm going to have to agree with everyone else and say number 1, although they both look lovely!