Decided to get my first LV. Shopping tips?

Apr 8, 2012
Hi Everyone!

Sooo I have been wanting a mono speedy for a long time. This will be my first high end bag purchase as I have pretty much been carrying MK, coach and brahmin bags for the past few years.

I have seen so much info here about cloth tags, peeling hardware and whatnot. It has left me so confused and worried to just go to the store and buy the bag lol.

Can someone please offer advice for what I need to do to make sure I get the best quality bag? I really have no idea what I'm supposed to be looking for.

The first thing I always check for is to make sure the stitching is straight and solid, no frays, no loose ends, no wavy lines. Pull the handles away from the bag and make sure that the stitching is tight and even. Then I check the bag itself, make sure the patterns line up somewhat evenly (they won't ever be perfect). I check to make sure the handles are both sewn on evenly from the top of the bag to the distance between each handle and their placement on the pattern. Next, check any piping around the edges of the bag to make sure there are no scratches or tears or rubbing. Inside you want to make sure all the tags are in there, lock, keys, etc. Make sure the lining looks clean and new and no damage. Check the handles of the bag also and make sure they look fresh and white with no smudges or dirt from possible handling. Check the stitching on the handles also. Be sure to try the zipper or snap closure out by opening and closing a few times and make sure the brass trim looks shiny and scratch free. On wallets, always check the glazing on the edges...you want one that is smooth and even and not thick looking or else it may peel and crack easier. HTH!