Debating on Artsy Mono or Melie but concerned about issues?

Apr 24, 2017
I'm looking at the Artsy Mono vs the Melie. Some people have said the Artsy handle is stiff, the canvas is cracking and it's a heavy bag. Then with the Melie I've heard of issues of pin holes only after a short time of having the bag. I'm disappointed to hear of issues with cracking, glazing, and etc when we pay so much for these bags. So far knock on wood I have not had a problem with my Neverfull GM. Due to some of these problems which bag would you choose or would you not take the gamble?

I wouldn't overly worry about possible problems with a bag if you haven't purchased it yet. I think it's easy to get influenced by the concerns of others on TPF. I know in some instances certain handbags do have flaws or quality concerns. But each situation is different and you can't base your choice on one or two stories you might have read.

If you feel that the Artsy or Melie works for you then go for it! I would just suggest, if you have the ability to, look at the bags in person. It would benefit you so that you can look the entire bag over and make sure you will be happy with your purchase.

I haven't heard much about any concerns with the Melie. I know that the Artsy handle can be quite stiff initially. You may also consider buying pre-loved so that the handbag will already be broken in for you. GL deciding!

artsy a bit large for average height petite frame but pretty and highly sought after on second hand market. have you thought of delightful if that's the shape you like and has a big shoulder strap drop.
artsy a bit large for average height petite frame but pretty and highly sought after on second hand market. have you thought of delightful if that's the shape you like and has a big shoulder strap drop.

I thought about the delightful as well. I'm a little taller than 5'7 so I don't want it to come right under my arm, but with a little drop. I ordered the Pochette Metis and sent it back because I couldn't wear it as a crossbody. The strap was too short and was hurting my shoulder. I'm use to bigger bags like the Neverfull GM. Is the Artsy suppose to just an arm and hand bag? I've seen some people carry it on their shoulders. I like how the Melie can be a crossbody too.

I thought about the delightful as well. I'm a little taller than 5'7 so I don't want it to come right under my arm, but with a little drop. I ordered the Pochette Metis and sent it back because I couldn't wear it as a crossbody. The strap was too short and was hurting my shoulder. I'm use to bigger bags like the Neverfull GM. Is the Artsy suppose to just an arm and hand bag? I've seen some people carry it on their shoulders. I like how the Melie can be a crossbody too.

5'7 you can wear either one (delightful MM). but artsy can't wear as shoulder bag easily, it will be right up to the armpit. Price difference is about $500

Still, suggest you try them on, that's a big purchase, buy the one you like the most.

I went to my local boutique today because I was in the same debate as you after going back and forth online! I looked at empreinte. The artsy is heavy. I could tell that with a wallet and few other things in it that the bag would be heavy to hold for a long period of time. It's also pretty large, but then again I do love big bags and it slouches so nicely. I'm sure canvas would be much lighter however.

The Melie was light and wonderful and I'm going back this week to purchase it in the noir empreinte. It caught my eye at the last minute and is so much more beautiful is person. I told my SA the concerns I have about the glazing on the handle and any corner issues since I just consigned my Bastille because of glazing wear. It was going to be $900 to replace the straps and reglaze. Soooo not worth it. She said if there's any issues to just call right away.

I'm going to just go for the Melie and be as careful as I can. With empreinte corner wear is a bit inevitable. Though with the artsy it might be a little less noticeable. I also like the Spontini. I'm clearly too indecisive lol

Don't own the Melie but have seen a bunch of issues being discussed in the Melie clubhouse (both recent and non-recent) about pinholes on the corners. That being said, it sounds like you have an SA who will help you with that if it becomes an issue. I am a big Artsy fan and so am partial to it. I like larger bags and have never had a single issue with any of mine. I have three, and the leather version IS heavy. But it's also gorgeous and worth it to me. The handle on the canvas versions takes some breaking in. Just love Artsy!:heart:

Don't own the Melie but have seen a bunch of issues being discussed in the Melie clubhouse (both recent and non-recent) about pinholes on the corners. That being said, it sounds like you have an SA who will help you with that if it becomes an issue. I am a big Artsy fan and so am partial to it. I like larger bags and have never had a single issue with any of mine. I have three, and the leather version IS heavy. But it's also gorgeous and worth it to me. The handle on the canvas versions takes some breaking in. Just love Artsy!:heart:
Do you carry your Artsy on your arm most of the time, and is the handle just really stiff at first? I love the shape of it and it has such a classy look. Thanks for your input!:smile:

I went to my local boutique today because I was in the same debate as you after going back and forth online! I looked at empreinte. The artsy is heavy. I could tell that with a wallet and few other things in it that the bag would be heavy to hold for a long period of time. It's also pretty large, but then again I do love big bags and it slouches so nicely. I'm sure canvas would be much lighter however.

The Melie was light and wonderful and I'm going back this week to purchase it in the noir empreinte. It caught my eye at the last minute and is so much more beautiful is person. I told my SA the concerns I have about the glazing on the handle and any corner issues since I just consigned my Bastille because of glazing wear. It was going to be $900 to replace the straps and reglaze. Soooo not worth it. She said if there's any issues to just call right away.

I'm going to just go for the Melie and be as careful as I can. With empreinte corner wear is a bit inevitable. Though with the artsy it might be a little less noticeable. I also like the Spontini. I'm clearly too indecisive lol
I looked at the Melie in the noir empreinte. It is very pretty! I think since I'm tall this bag would work for me because some of the bags like the Pochette Metis didn't workout for me. I could do the Melie as a crossbody too. What color are you getting? It's hard making a decision when they all look like great bags!

Do you carry your Artsy on your arm most of the time, and is the handle just really stiff at first? I love the shape of it and it has such a classy look. Thanks for your input!:smile:

The handle breaks in fairly quickly so I would not worry about it. The mono is very light. I wear it like a top handle, in the crook of my arm, on my shoulder and with the Bandoulière strap either cross body or on my shoulder. I can recommend the Bandoulière strap, it creates great variations.

I had considered both the end of last year and went with the Artsy but tried them both on in the store. The handle on the artsy is very flexible and not stiff. It's rounded, not flat, so maybe people perceive that as uncomfortable. It's just a gorgeous all around bag. I'm 5'8 and it fits under my arm but mostly wear in swung back. Looks great hand carried or crook of the arm. I do like the Melie for it's versatility, but have a SpeedyB that offers options as well. The Melie is more of a north/south and didn't want to hunt for items. i'm not sure though it that's an actual issue with those that own it. Good luck!

I had considered both the end of last year and went with the Artsy but tried them both on in the store. The handle on the artsy is very flexible and not stiff. It's rounded, not flat, so maybe people perceive that as uncomfortable. It's just a gorgeous all around bag. I'm 5'8 and it fits under my arm but mostly wear in swung back. Looks great hand carried or crook of the arm. I do like the Melie for it's versatility, but have a SpeedyB that offers options as well. The Melie is more of a north/south and didn't want to hunt for items. i'm not sure though it that's an actual issue with those that own it. Good luck!
So you do wear it on your shoulder? Is the Artsy more spacious than the Melie? I'm wondering if I'll have enough room in the Melie because I use my Neverfull GM everyday. I'm so torn between the two and don't have a store nearby to go and see them in person.